Vorson electric tenor uke questions?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
Hey everyone so i have not posted here in a while. I have a few questions. I have sold off my guitars and ukes and i am instrument-less at the moment. I get paid next weds and i'm trying to decide on an instrument. I make ambient music which relies on effects pedals and acoustic electric instruments usually dont capture the effects the way i want them too. I made most of my music on guitars up until 2 years ago when i started using a konablaster steel string electric baritone (which i ended up selling in a time of need). I'm not really a great guitarist by any means but I'm pretty skilled as far as a ukulele player. So i was thinking being this vorson is in my price rage and i can make use of effects pedals and play the thing better this would be a good choice. A few questions which replacing strings (i want to set it up for low G) what guages would i need to purchase what is a good string brand to use and how is it strung out of the box high or low g? how is the sound is it any good ? i heard one demo on youtube and i thought it sounded nice however i couldn't tell if it was linear or re-entrant? anyway if anyone can answer my questions it would be a great help? its between this or a epiphone electric guitar (which i can't play as well). anyway thanks all!

Last edited:
Welcome back old friend.
I have a black Les Paul style Vorson electric uke.

Overall, it is AMAZING value.
Mine originally came strung re-entrant GCEA, but I have changed it to low-G tuning using DGBE strings out of an electric guitar set.
Alternatively, you can tune it like your old Baritone electric uke (DGBE) using ADGB strings from an electric guitar set
I have done this previously on my Risa Tenor steel-string electric. I'm pretty sure it will work on the Vorson too.

I think newly listed Vorsons come as low-G, according to the product descriptions. You can tune it any way you want using different strings.

I stick to using 0.009 electric guitar sets for electric ukes. 0.010 sets feel a bit too heavy for me.
I may even try 0.008 sets for even lighter gauge some time in the future.

On the positive side:

-A totally playable steel-string tenor electric ukulele with two single coil pickups (3-way selector switch).

-The tone is fairly good - it should be very similar in form and function as your former Konablaster.
I have owned Risa steel-string electrics in the past. Obviously the Risa is higher quality, but this one is the same idea made cheaper.

-The tone and volume knobs work well on mine, and the pickups give a very versatile range of sounds - I am quite sure it will work well for your style of music, as you can plug it into electric guitar amps and effects.

-With a bit of easy setting up (reduce action at the bridge and intonation adjustment), the playability can be fairly slick. Brand new, the action came too high.

Some negatives:

-It is fairly cheaply made, and there are some quality issues.
The bridge isn't the best quality - it may buzz a bit if you set your action screws too low at the bridge. The bridge is also a bit.. lopsided - it won't affect playability though.

-Major problem when you try to adjust the truss rod (which you probably won't need to, unless you're very fussy about setup).
The truss rod WORKS, but you may have to make a bit of a modification if you want a truss-rod-key to fit:
See this post: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?105907-Vorson-Truss-Rod-Problem-FIXED

This could be a major problem if you are reluctant to do a bit of DIY or pay someone to fix it. This could be a very minor problem if you don't mind getting it fixed, or you don't feel the need to touch the truss rod at all. To be perfectly honest, a truss rod is not really a "necessity" for a short scale 4-string instrument like this. Some 4-string steel string ukuleles don't come with a truss rod anyway (or just have a non-adjustable truss rod).

-There could be quality control issues. Some members have reported that their pickups or tone/volume knobs don't work properly.

As an inexpensive, Made in China instrument, the quality level is similar to your cheapest Epiphone and Squier electric guitars.
Playable, but a bit roughly made. With a bit of setting up, love and care, it can potentially be a great value instrument capable of many things.

Whether to get this, or an Epiphone electric guitar...
Well that depends on what you want. Do you want an electric guitar, or an electric ukulele?

I play both electric guitar and electric ukulele - and there is quite a difference in how each is played (despite apparent similarity).
I do "guitar things" with guitars and "ukulele things" with ukuleles... not sure how to word that better xD

Electric ukes have come and gone in my collection.
I think this one's a keeper... because it's too cheap to sell and get much money out of it >_<

Last edited:
The one I sold a couple of months ago was low G. I restrung it to high G with a set of electric guitar strings I had, but were too heavy, which made the Vorson difficult to play on my nylon adapted fingers. I thought it was made pretty well, I had no problems with the pickups or other electronics. I replaced the knobs with Strat style.

Vorson Tele mine.jpg

I bought one and returned it. Hummmmmmm was constant. It may have just been the one that I had as others have reported no white noise. If you buy from Amazon and you get a bad one, you can return or exchange it. Mine was strung with high G. Check the Risa www.ukulele.de web site for string recommendations.

When it comes to steel strings for an electric, and if one is confident in the gauges one wants (loop or ball end), I've had great success with EMando.com as a source. When I had a MandoBird and later with the KonaBlaster, EMando.com got me exactly what I needed at the right lengths.

Strings is really an easily solution.

I repeat:

Use DGBE strings from the most common electric guitar set (a "9" set) to tune to GCEA
Use ADGB strings from the same set if you want to tune it to DGBE

No need to get any fancier than that.

FYI: I have used Risa's string gauges before.
Their recommendations corresponds to exactly what I do, but with a "10" gauge electric guitar set.

In my opinion, this is a heavier gauge than what most people would prefer.
I once questioned them, and they answered that they prefer heavier gauge for better intonation/thicker tone.
This is personal preference, but even in the guitar world - not everyone uses heavy gauge!

Yay! Happy to have iamesperambient back - he does really cool ambient dreamy/ spacey stuff.
Someone had a Konablaster soprano on the Marketplace here for sale a few months ago; not sure if it sold.

hey everyone thanks for the advise. Just curious what guage would i need for re-entrant?
i totally now understand what i need to do for a liner G or linear C but how would i get a re-entrant
c sound (if i wanted later on? im shooting for linear for now though). Looks like this is the top of my
list right now for the next instrument to purchase. I was just asked by a label about recording
new material so its top priority to get an instrument fast. I'm liking what i have read about this instrument
and seems like a good fit for me in my price range.

Welcome back old friend.
I have a black Les Paul style Vorson electric uke.

Overall, it is AMAZING value.
Mine originally came strung re-entrant GCEA, but I have changed it to low-G tuning using DGBE strings out of an electric guitar set.
Alternatively, you can tune it like your old Baritone electric uke (DGBE) using ADGB strings from an electric guitar set
I have done this previously on my Risa Tenor steel-string electric. I'm pretty sure it will work on the Vorson too.

I think newly listed Vorsons come as low-G, according to the product descriptions. You can tune it any way you want using different strings.

I stick to using 0.009 electric guitar sets for electric ukes. 0.010 sets feel a bit too heavy for me.
I may even try 0.008 sets for even lighter gauge some time in the future.

On the positive side:

-A totally playable steel-string tenor electric ukulele with two single coil pickups (3-way selector switch).

-The tone is fairly good - it should be very similar in form and function as your former Konablaster.
I have owned Risa steel-string electrics in the past. Obviously the Risa is higher quality, but this one is the same idea made cheaper.

-The tone and volume knobs work well on mine, and the pickups give a very versatile range of sounds - I am quite sure it will work well for your style of music, as you can plug it into electric guitar amps and effects.

-With a bit of easy setting up (reduce action at the bridge and intonation adjustment), the playability can be fairly slick. Brand new, the action came too high.

Some negatives:

-It is fairly cheaply made, and there are some quality issues.
The bridge isn't the best quality - it may buzz a bit if you set your action screws too low at the bridge. The bridge is also a bit.. lopsided - it won't affect playability though.

-Major problem when you try to adjust the truss rod (which you probably won't need to, unless you're very fussy about setup).
The truss rod WORKS, but you may have to make a bit of a modification if you want a truss-rod-key to fit:
See this post: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?105907-Vorson-Truss-Rod-Problem-FIXED

This could be a major problem if you are reluctant to do a bit of DIY or pay someone to fix it. This could be a very minor problem if you don't mind getting it fixed, or you don't feel the need to touch the truss rod at all. To be perfectly honest, a truss rod is not really a "necessity" for a short scale 4-string instrument like this. Some 4-string steel string ukuleles don't come with a truss rod anyway (or just have a non-adjustable truss rod).

-There could be quality control issues. Some members have reported that their pickups or tone/volume knobs don't work properly.

As an inexpensive, Made in China instrument, the quality level is similar to your cheapest Epiphone and Squier electric guitars.
Playable, but a bit roughly made. With a bit of setting up, love and care, it can potentially be a great value instrument capable of many things.

Whether to get this, or an Epiphone electric guitar...
Well that depends on what you want. Do you want an electric guitar, or an electric ukulele?

I play both electric guitar and electric ukulele - and there is quite a difference in how each is played (despite apparent similarity).
I do "guitar things" with guitars and "ukulele things" with ukuleles... not sure how to word that better xD

Electric ukes have come and gone in my collection.
I think this one's a keeper... because it's too cheap to sell and get much money out of it >_<

hey if its not any trouble for you would you be able to record a short demo of yours?
i found one on line but honestly all he was doing was shredding leads on it and that's not what i do
i just want to hear how strummed chords sound and its overall simple tone. No rush but totally
curious to hear before purchasing thanks again!

hey everyone thanks for the advise. Just curious what guage would i need for re-entrant?
i totally now understand what i need to do for a liner G or linear C but how would i get a re-entrant
c sound (if i wanted later on? im shooting for linear for now though). Looks like this is the top of my
list right now for the next instrument to purchase. I was just asked by a label about recording
new material so its top priority to get an instrument fast. I'm liking what i have read about this instrument
and seems like a good fit for me in my price range.

You can just use the same gauge string as the A string in GCEA, which would be a .009.

Or slightly thicker - a 0.010 string would do just fine for the re-entrant G

As for a sound recording, I'll see if I can get something done.. I just came back from a month holiday from overseas and trying to recover from a flu

You can just use the same gauge string as the A string in GCEA, which would be a .009.

Or slightly thicker - a 0.010 string would do just fine for the re-entrant G

As for a sound recording, I'll see if I can get something done.. I just came back from a month holiday from overseas and trying to recover from a flu

thanks for the info it seems cool sounds like the answer to someones desire for a risa LP but can't afford one but still wants the look and full on electric sound. Its nice that brands are starting to make full on electric ukes in bigger sizes at affordable prices. So they even make the eleuke anymore? for some reason i thought they went out of business or stopped production?

thanks for that :) but im really looking for a longer scale soprano never suited my style more of a fan of tenor and baritone scales.
haha, I forgot all about it. I guess it is lost in the back of my closet. I don't really need the vorson either as the custom electric came before the Vorson, so I'll sell it. All I have done is change the g string out.

kissing-I really like that multi-uke stand shown in your first post. Will you share some details about it? I'd like to get one. . .

It's actually a Hercules 6 guitar stand.
when you set it up, you can adjust it so it works for ukulele :)

thanks . . .found it at Musicians Friend-gonna buy one soon as finances permit.

Top Bottom