Song Help Request Don't look the same chords Audi uke commercial

petermari

Reaction score
Anyone have the chords handy for the Audi uke commercial "Don't look the same". I think it's in the key of G The one on the left and the one on the right, can you tell them apart, try as you might, but a wise man once said that the secret to life, is to find one that don't look the same

Thanks Vince. Saw the YouTube video but the chords don't sound right to me. The riff station version uses other chords that don't match the YouTube version. The C7 sounds better to my ear with C and I'm not sure where that C#m fits in. There is a g7sus in the YouTube version that sounds right. Peter

I have gone through the process you are describing several times.
When there is a song that I want to learn, I go get the lyrics and transcribe the melody.
Then I put on any set of chord I can find, like the ones that riffstation has.
Then, I play it and listen to the recording. Differences are evaluated, and I pick the version I like best (but usually the one on the recording)
I update my electronic copy and print it out.
A PDF gets pushed to my iPad so I can add it to my set list software (nice having 'sheet' music with me for all the songs I have ever transcribed).

And Darn You Peter! I had plans for what I was going to work on next. Now I keep hearing this song. I am likely going to take a look at this one next. :)

Vince. It's a hard tune to get out of your head and the lyrics are great. Let me know what you come up with. Peter

OK, here is a first stab at the lead sheet.
http://www.vinceherman.net/ukulele/talts_v1.pdf
I had to host that on my own page since photobucket does not take PDFs, so no telling how long it will stay.

Several comments.
  • I did that by ear. I cannot confirm that I am in the right key until I play it at home (where mu ukuleles are)
  • (hmmm, idea for a t-shirt 'Home is where my Ukuleles are')
  • I only have the lyrics for the first verse. I'll put the rest on after I confirm the accuracy of some other pieces.
  • There is an unknown chord played on measure 10. I entered a ?
  • There is a 'last line' that I need to work out how to enter.
  • If you have ANY questions or corrections to the music, speak up! I am relatively new to this transcription thing.

The Youtube video is Rich Andruska the voice in the commercial. The chords he plays are different from yours. Watch carefully and you will see a Hawaiian D7 and a G7sus. The Bridge ends with Hawaiian D7 to traditional D. (No F's, C#m or F#m in the song that I can hear. I think the Riffstation chords are off. I like Andruska's version better. What do you think? Peter

So this is exactly the process I mentioned up in post 4.
Transcribe the melody.
Add some lyrics.
Add any old chords I can find.

This is where we have made it so far, and you are beginning the next steps.

Play. Listen. Evaluate the differences and choose which you like better.

I presume that on Rich's video, his uke is in standard tuning. And since most of his chords match mine, I think that is a safe bet.
I DO see many differences. As you point out, D7 (2020) instead of the Am that I have listed. I will try to run through the piece and listen against both the video and the riffstation piece. And then pick what sounds best.

I will look and listen for the G7sus (0213)? that you mentioned.

I am not sure when Rich is referring to uke chords and when he is referring to guitar chord shapes. I suspect that he is interchanging them, but since I can only fake 2 or 3 chords on a guitar, I can't really say.

Tonight is my Cleveland Jumping Fleas meetup, so I won't make much progress. Let me know if you see other discrepancies.

Here's what I got, and I'm pretty sure of the chords.

Note: all of the D7 chords are played in the "Hawaiian" voicing of 2020

Code:
G    G   C     G
G    G   D7   D7
G   G7   C7   E7
A7   D7   G    G

Sounds good. I know he is playing C7 in the video but C sounds better to my ear. I can't hear the E7 so I'm playing A7. The G7 works but I'm pretty sure it's G7sus. Not a big difference and the G7 is easier to play. Here's what I'm doing with the Bridge. C oooh oooh oooh oooh, G You'll never remember when C oooh oooh oooh oooh D7 (Hawaiian) the moment you turned into D or D7 Not Hawaiian them. Andruska's uke is tuned GCEA.

Since I cannot always hear the chord being played, let’s look at the instructional video and try to identify each chord he introduces. I am guessing on some of this, so please feel free to discuss any area where you think I am off the mark. Keep in mind that he is frequently referring to the similar shape of guitar chords. I am trying to identify the ukulele tabs.
Here is a list of chords he introduces, with the time of the video where he introduces it, the tab and the chord name.

0:23 0232 G
0:30 0003 C
0:38 2020 D7 (Hawaiian)
0:40 2420 ?
0:46 0213 G7sus4?
0:51 0001 C7
0:54 4242 G#dim Not entirely clear on tab, taken from his guitar discussion ‘high 4 of B7’
0:58 0100 A7
1:01 2025 D7

Run the video after you have copied those chords to another app (like notepad) so you can refer to what I have so far while the video is playing. See if I missed any chords and if my guesses are accurate.

Looks like we've limited the chord in question to the one after C7. Looks like he is barring the 2nd fret and using his ring finger almost like a B7sus. I'm still not clear on what that chord is but A7 in the first or 2nd position sounds good to my ear but it's clearly not the chord he is playing.

I found another chord he plays but I do not have.

1:45 0230 Gsus2 - he goes from the G 0232 to Gsus2 0230 for one measure

Peter, I think we are zeroing in on a more accurate transcription of his performance. I have to take the changes you pointed out earlier and put them into the lead sheet.
I might even try creating a tab sheet rather than my normal habit of chord names. But that will be later. I am supposed to be working. :rolleyes:

Can you give me a time into the video for the points you just raised? It will help me find it quicker.

At 0:40 he is showing a Hawaiian D7 but he is adding his little finger on the A string at the 5th fret. I don't see him use it in the song though just in the explanation of the D7. Makes it sound like a Dmaj. 0:54 is the chord in question. I'm using A7. The chord at 1:45 is technically a Gsus2 but it's really just a G chord and he is doing a middle finger pull off and back on to a G. I'm satisfied with most of the chords except the one he describes at 0:54 as some guitar B7 on the top 4 guitar strings.

Vince. ok. got it. The mystery chord is 4242 G#m-5. It's definitely the chord he is playing at 0:54 of the video. It's sounds wrong to my ear and it's too hard to finger so I'm staying with A7 in the 1st or 2nd position.

:-D And that is another step I mentioned in post 4. Picking the version I like best.
I'll try to finish working up the sheet as accurately as possible. I'll post it here and you tell me what you want different. I'll make a version for you with your chosen chords.

This has always been a fun exercise. It almost forces me to learn the song as I go.

At 0:40 he is showing a Hawaiian D7 but he is adding his little finger on the A string at the 5th fret. I don't see him use it in the song though just in the explanation of the D7.

1:14 on the word 'stores'
1:21 on the word 'looks'

And similarly in the verse after the bridge

2:05 on the word 'might'
2:14 on the word 'look'
2:18 on the word 'look' (this would be in the tag?)

I am not saying you HAVE to play it this way. Just trying to get an accurate understanding of what he is playing.

Yep. I see it on at least 2 of the 'looks' I think you could add it and just tag it optional. He does do it so people could play it or not. Don't the forget the 7th fret high D at the end! Peter

Just got done with the lead sheet changes so far. Added the 4 verses.
Look it over for accuracy. I am all for changing this up to suite your preferences (that G7sus4 is a bear)

Here is the latest version

For the tag, he replays the last line, "find one that don't look the same" with a glissando on "look" and a few extra chords at the end (and the high D). :)

I'll have to look into repeats, d.s. al coda and other musical notations I barely understand to decide how to transcribe it.

The G#dim is a G#m-5. I can't find an easy way to finger it so I'm probably going to sub another chord that sounds close. The F#dim is what he is fingering but he calls it a D7 so I would simplify and put a traditional D7 there. He holds the D7. Do you have the hold symbol? Do you have any ideas for a G#m-5 substitution?

Top Bottom