Song Help Request Don't look the same chords Audi uke commercial

And here is a 2 page version where I broke out the 4th verse so that I could put in the tag without the need for a road map.
I am sure that someone could describe how voltas, repeats and codas could have been used, but my fumbling attempts could not get me there without the need for a paragraph describing the arrangement.

What do you think of this version?
2 unknowns:
In measure 52, the ? chord is 2022 as I see it. 2:22 in the video. This does not match any chords in any database I could find.
In Measure 53, the last chord, he calls a high D (again, guitar shapes?). This is possibly a high G, but not the tabs I would expect. I think he is playing 0-7-7-10 at 2:26 in the video. I guess that is a high G (7-7-7-10) with an open G string.

Here is version 4 of the lead sheet.

The G#dim is a G#m-5. I can't find an easy way to finger it so I'm probably going to sub another chord that sounds close. The F#dim is what he is fingering but he calls it a D7 so I would simplify and put a traditional D7 there. He holds the D7. Do you have the hold symbol? Do you have any ideas for a G#m-5 substitution?

I just posted an updated sheet.
Here is a link to some alternates for the chord (4242)

I like the sound of the transition from the D7 (2020) to the F#dim (2023). I will keep that in my version, but I can easily take that out for your version.

I'll add a hold symbol on "them"

No changes for me. I'm still not sure about what to use for G#m-5. Maybe E7, but I'll just write it in when I decide. The 2022 is a form of D13. Yes. I think it's a D at the 7th fret. Bar 7 and ring or pinky on the 10 fret at the A string. Fun exercise. Thanks for all the hard work. Peter

Do you have any ideas for a G#m-5 substitution?
Hi Peter! I have been practicing this. I have 2 possible substitutions.
He plays 4242.
My first sub is x242 where you do not play the G string.
My second is 1242 where you use your thumb on the first fret of the G string.
Give them both a try. I like how they sound closer to what he is playing.
I do not do well with skipping a string so I am leaning towards using my thumb.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Vince. I settled on a 1st position E7 for the G#m-5 chord. Sounds very close and it's quick and easy to change to. 1202. Similar to your 1242 but much easier to do. Peter

Vince. I found a chord book that lists G#-5 as 4242 AND your 1242 as the same chord. The E7 is just missing the 4th fret 2nd string. Sounds good enough to my ear and is way easier to do for me. Peter

Vince. I found a chord book that lists G#-5 as 4242 AND your 1242 as the same chord. The E7 is just missing the 4th fret 2nd string. Sounds good enough to my ear and is way easier to do for me. Peter

Hi, guys, long time reader and I just had to pipe in 2 points.

1. With only 4 notes (strings) the uke is amazing for writing music (cause so many different chords can be made the same way).

2. I just used some chord progressions for the little boxes song that the commercial is reflecting.

Anywaze, this thread is great, cause I thought I was the only one with that Audi tune stuck in my head.

The 4242 is the same chord shape as the Hawaiian D7, just up two frets (barred), so yes, its an E7. Playing in first position sounds fine to me. Also, I am playing an Am instead of C7 at measure 11. See if you think that fits.

Last edited:
Nicaggie. I tried the Am instead of the C7 but I don't think it sounds right. The C7 is clearly what he is playing in the youtube video. As far as the E7 substitution for the G#m-5, I'm only using it because it sounds very close and I can't finger the 4242 quickly enough. It is a catchy tune.

Hi John,
Yes, we did look through that video. Poor through it. Dissect it. Argue over which chords were being played vs his descriptions of guitar chord shapes.
We made a pretty decent lead sheet from it to help us play the piece. I think it came out nicely.

What about 1212 for G# dim?

I'm not liking the G7 sus 4

I'm trying : G | G7 | C C C7 | G#dim for the "new one comes out" line

Last edited:
John. The G7 doesn't sound wrong to me. It's just taking the place of 3 chords. Try this: on OUT try G7 sus4, then try G7 on BUT then Gsus2 on IT. So it's 0213 for the G7sus4 on OUT, 0212 for G7 on BUT and 0210 G7sus2 on IT. The G7 works ok but it's a fuller and more interesting sound to play a different chord on each beat. New one comes OUT, BUT, IT only costs more. Anyway, to answer your question the G7 can work in place of the Gsus4.

Top Bottom