Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banjo uke's or banjole's 101 lesson please

Default Banjo uke's or banjole's 101 lesson please

Ok folks, unlike many of you, I haven't suffered from UAS . I started a few years ago with a Fender Nohea tenor , upgraded to a Collings and then just played and played and played.

Recently watching the SOTU someone posted a link to a utube video of Tom Hartford playing a banjo uke and toe tapping to his song Gentle on my mind. I found it absolutely compelling, the guy had some serious talent.

I've been working hard on the song and have a good picking pattern going and now find myself thinking , gotta get me one of those banjo uke's. So............

A 101 type lesson please.

What is it a banjo uke or a banjolele, are they the same or different ?
    Are there different sizes?
    How are they tuned ?
    How are they different from a regular 4 or 5 string banjo ?
    If I decide I must have one then what, brands, styles, prices ? Where does one acquire a good intermediate banjo uke.

Enlighten me please.

The basics are....everything is the same as a Uke....just a different body and a different sound......apart from that just apply all you've learnt about the Uke and think heavier instrument..

Any suggestions on a decent brand today?

Banjouke and banjolele and banjo ukulele are all the same as far as I know. I've only seen soprano and concert sizes. They are tuned just like a ukulele, the only difference is that they are built like a banjo.

I'm looking for one too, can't wait to see the results of this thread. Musicians friend has a Recording King soprano for less than $200, that's about the cheapest I've seen, except for the Flea Firefly.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G | Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

If you want something light that's low to no maintenance try the MFC Firefly banjo uke:

http://www.magicfluke.com/The-Firefl...ele-s/1514.htm

I've also played a few of the Kala banjo ukes and they weren't bad. I think there's still a Mainland banjo uke for sale on the marketplace.

There's Kala, Lanikai, Eddy Finn, Gretsch, Goldtone...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G | Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

If you're going to learn to drone ( I think that's what it's called) , is it better to have a low or high g or can you do either

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
    If you're going to learn to drone ( I think that's what it's called) , is it better to have a low or high g or can you do either
    You need a high G to drone correctly.

I have a Gold Tone tenor ($400ish), and I like it a lot. I bought it for Clawhammer which is a struggle for me because of the tabs. I also have a Lanikai concert that's also good, but, having a resonator, it's very heavy--also $400ish. I guess they would both be considered mid-range. I really like both of mine, and I'm considering a Luna soprano, but justifying it is very difficult--I dunno.

I really like Banjoleles, and I play them "open tuned" which I also enjoy.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

My 1920-era Varsity banjo-uke was US$35 shipped on eBay -- only slightly abused, and once I learned how to set it up, it's quite satisfactory. But it's an old short-scale 13-inch neck, a bit small for my big hands. I hope to find or make a concert-size neck to bolt onto a cheap tambourine with a tension rod so I can use steel strings. I even have a scheme for a multi-neck franken-banjo-uke -- could go up to three necks that way! [/me cackles maniacally] One path I *won't* take is a Cümbüş banjo-uke. I love my two Cümbüş axes but they're ungainly and not exactly fine examples of the luthier's art, more like the product of indifferent industrial Turkish tinkers. Of course, if I ever build a resonator 'uke, it'll likely be just as bad.

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

I currently have two, a Deering GoodTime Banjo Uke (concert scale) and a SideKick banjo uke (tenor scale). They are both fun instruments, but radically different. The Deering is heavy and appears almost as a neck-shortened version of Deering's 17-fret tenor banjo ( have one of those, too). The SideKick is light (about 1.5 pounds), more to the weight of a standard ukulele. Both will require some minor setup work (head tightening, bridge placement and possibly some nut slot filing (depending on individual feel). Cost-wise, they go for about $400 and $220 respectively.

Have had a Gretsch which also required the same setup work. It's just part of the way things are with banjo-like instruments. I know the FireFly has a non-tunable head and a good reputation, so it shouldn't be ruled out as an option.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

* CGDA reentrant, **DAEB, ***GDAE, The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thread Information