Does wearing a ring hurt a ukulele?

sculptor

Reaction score
I saw a posting where someone had some cosmetic damage on their ukulele from previous owner that they attributed to a ring. That posting was with regard to percussion but that got me to thinking... Wouldn't a simple wedding band on your left hand's ring finger damage the finish on the neck over time?

Thanks,

Gary

No. Not at all. My ring finger isn't touching anything except the string using my fingertip.

A simple round band might not be an issue, but I've found that a ring with a setting on top can slide around while my fingers are spread apart and then it gets in the way when my fingers are closer together. So I just don't wear rings when I play.

The great mandolin player Sam Bush wears his wedding band on his right hand when he plays.

Only when I'm trying to reach around the upper bout to hit frets past the body join would I cause damage by playing. Accidental handling of the uke could cause a ring to scratch, especially if it were a diamond in a setting that got turned around onto your palm.

My rings don't touch my instrument, unless I pick it up and they touch. I don't like bracelets on my left hand because I'm slinging it around so much.

It only hurts if you cheat. (just kidding)

I never thought about that one but it sure could if your hands fly around alot.

Good question, because only you can answer it. It all depends on your style and what kind of jewelry you wear. So I would put the question back to you, is your rings scratching up your ukulele when you play it? I think there is another question that I would ask you, and that is, how much scratching are you willing to put up with? By the fact that you even asked, I would say that answer is none. So if that is the case, I can not advise you, as I have failed miserably when it comes to keeping my uke from getting scratched.

My wedding ring is on my fretting hand and never gets anywhere near the fretboard. Some ukers play "guitar style" (not classical) in which case it might.

Sounds like I resemble the guy in question the ring damage was to a used bass guitar I bought in the late 80's. I can only assume the guy played a lot of slap bass.

The point I was making there was anything that touches the instrument repeatably can cause wear even your fingers. In the case of playing percussion on the top of an instrument, if that is your style do you not do it to save the instrument or simply look at the instrument as more of a consumable. The guy playing my old bass didn't worry much about anything but his playing.

In other words dont let anything hold you back. Its just a simple shift in thinking to see the instrument itself as disposable as a set of strings.

Now as far as wearing rings I do wear a few here and there nothing binding no fingercuff I dare not remove. I wouldn't put on gloves to tattoo or pierce with rings on I wouldn't pick up an instrument with rings on. It should be part of the ritual of playing the instrument removing rings and bracelets if you are accessorized as such.

~peace~

The point I was making there was anything that touches the instrument repeatably can cause wear even your fingers. In the case of playing percussion on the top of an instrument, if that is your style do you not do it to save the instrument or simply look at the instrument as more of a consumable. The guy playing my old bass didn't worry much about anything but his playing.

In other words dont let anything hold you back. Its just a simple shift in thinking to see the instrument itself as disposable as a set of strings.

~peace~
I think that you describe my attitude here. I try hard not to abuse my ukulele. I make sure it is humidified. I don't leave it laying around where it can get set on, or knocked on the floor. But I also don't go to extremes. It is bound to get some minor scratches on it as I play it.

How are you going to get a ring on your ukulele?

Al, you nailed it. Lol. So funny. (That was a crack answer, huh, Steve)

A ring shouldn't hurt the neck, sculptor, unless it's a Super Bowl ring. In fact, Jake often wears one in his index finger, which is the main fretting finger.

If I was a sculptor; but then again, no. (Sorry, I just had to sing that).

Last edited:
I tried guitar-playing long ago wearing big rings all over both hands but quickly abandoned the effort. They only got in the way, both of fretting and fingerpicking. Ringo Starr could drum with heavy rings because holding drumsticks ain't like manipulating a stringed instrument. I *do* play guitar, uke, mando, and banjo wearing only a thin wedding band on my picking hand. Anything more might interfere with my fingerwork. No, that band doesn't click against the neck. Even if it did, the skin of my fretting hand affects the finish more. My Kay mandolin shows a bit of wear from many decades of play.

Top Bottom