Is it just me? Or does everyone have to deal with the critics?

Some people like to pull other people down to their level. I know people who say disparaging things about what other people are doing, because those people are doing something they can't. That is how they cope with their lack of accomplishment, they minimalize what the other person is doing.

On the dot.

For a year in to it, you are doing well. You're at the point where it sounds like music and the fun is just starting. I play Key ditty's, a strum pattern of my own construction in a 1-4-5-1-5-4-1- 6-4-1 pattern in various keys mostly D-C-A-G and occasionally the minor keys, just to listen to the sounds of the different keys and chords.

Is it music? It is to me and I don't care what others think. I do learn "Songs" and I am learning to sing because I like playing with others now that I can keep up with them. I've been playing almost two years now and have attempted maybe fifty songs, perhaps ten or twenty I can play well enough to be recognizable.
About a year ago I took my Ukes to a family gathering and tried to sing, my adult nephew laughed at me and hurt my feelings a bit. I don't hold that against him because at that point I didn't like my singing all that well either. I did feel like telling him to sing and play too and see how freaking hard it is to do. People who don't play don't know how hard you have to work to gain even a little skill. I still have trouble changing chords strumming, reading the lyrics and singing.

I've been lucky because my next door neighbor plays guitar and I got him hooked on Ukes. He and I play together once, twice a week or so and trade songs lead sheets. He teaches me "Cowboy" songs and I teach him more general music. He plays to accompany his singing and I play to hear the instrument sing mostly.

I still don't play anywhere near 'normal' but I like it, even if it is just D-G-A7-D-G-D-E7-A7-D on my G tuned ukes and the equivalent on my C tuned Concert and soprano.

The ukulele is for enjoying music I like playing Johnny Cash songs, they are mostly three chord songs and can get a little repetitive unless you sing the lyrics, but Willy Nelson songs are nice too, but he is a lot harder to cover as he is not normal either.

Hey DC and Jack, last post in this thread was 18 months ago and OP hasn't been on the forum since then. Just sayin

Hey DC and Jack, last post in this thread was 18 months ago and OP hasn't been on the forum since then. Just sayin
JCryan, how is it going after all these months? I hope well. What has changed in that time? I would be interested to know.

These old threads that pop up are fun. I like seeing what I was saying a year and a half ago and compare it to what I am doing and saying now. As far as critics, I am fortunate to have grown up in a somewhat less than supportive family. Lets just say we were not sensitive to each other's feelings when I was a kid. Then four years in the Navy, and a career surrounded by meat eaters. Anyway, it has well prepared me for my current endeavors. I pretty much meet any mean spirited criticism with total disdain. I think that I am lucky sometimes in that way, and I'm serious when I say that.

Last edited:
JCryan, how is it going after all these months? I hope well. What has changed in that time? I would be interested to know.

Rllink,

I'm doing awesome... Thanks for asking! :D

I'd love to say that my playing has improved significantly, but I've continued-on with my unorthodox playing style and have been loving every minute of it. lol

I've taught myself a few well-known riffs (Stairway to Heaven, Wonderful Tonight, Winnie the Pooh, etc.) to allow for me to break the ice when playing in front of others, but for the most part, a majority of everything I play is original.

Life's too short to worry about what others think of you... When they see that you are enjoying life, more often than not, they'll want to get in on it. ;)

Hey, JCryan, that's really a pretty tune. With some dynamics applied (relax it, lay it back, let it breathe, slow and easy, alternate between softer and louder, just let it flow along easily-- I could see you playing for the folks at your local coffee spot! I've been playing for 50 years now (initially ukulele, then over to guitar, and back to ukulele two years ago), and every week I discover something new, so don't worry, you're doing great! Just keep "doinkin' around with it" every chance you get, and the progress will definitely happen. By the way, I too am a lefty who just plays the standard-strung ukulele upside down.

Top Bottom