Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me? Or does everyone have to deal with the critics?

Quote Originally Posted by JCryan View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to sing while playing. lol

If I sing, I have to focus on the lyrics, but then I'm unable to play the ukulele. I suppose it is like an individual that can play piano with both hands, just not simultaneously.
    It's funny how the brain works. You don't seem to have any problems playing upside down but can't sing and play at the same time. If I had the capacity to play left handed, I'd have to re-string the uke.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

As with the reference to Jimi Hendrix, I knew a guitar player that played "upside down". He could manage riffs that no-one else (in our group of friends) could manage simply by virtue of having fingers in places where the rest of us had just one thumb!!

Your tune sounds nice. I may not want to play it, but I'm quite happy to listen to it

Don't be put off by the gain-sayers ... a lot of them are probably only jealous anyway
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

You sound great. You're having fun. It's your critics that have a problem, not you. Ignore them.
    Mahogany Cordoba Tenor
    Mahogany Mainland Baritone
    Spruce Top Lanikai Tenor
    Red Manchurian Ash Fish Ukulele Concert
    Magenta Laminate Kala Concert
    Ca. 1930s Montgomery Ward Soprano
    Black Outdoor Ukulele Soprano

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WKerrigan View Post
    You sound great. You're having fun. It's your critics that have a problem, not you. Ignore them.
    Yep. This exactly. My wife was never a fan of my ukulele playing. She's my ex-wife now.

Ignore the negative garbage! You play very well.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCryan View Post
    Yet, once I play one of my songs, they begin asking me to play a "real song" (something they know).

Then the criticisms begin...

"Maybe if you strung your ukulele for a lefty, you'd be able to improve your skills."

"All your songs sound the same!"

"Why don't you learn to strum with your fingers like a real ukulele player?"

Although I don't let it get to me, I'm almost at the point in which I just want to hide when playing to a avoid the critics.

Am I the only one that deals with this?
    I just watched and listened to your clip JC.

For what it's worth, I think it's great that you have developed your own style. I'm not one for conforming either and neither have I the opportunity to play with anybody else, so similarly, I sorta taught myself in a bubble. But it's a great way to do it in a sense because there's no pressure to "play it like this or that"...you're kinda carving out your own road and that's gotta be a good thing on a number of levels.

Just on the "play a real song" thing. Yeah, know what you mean there. I used to play mainly originals in pubs and folks would always want you to play one of the classic rock tunes or the latest hit of the day. I was always reluctant to do it and resented it a little. But in the end, and, as a suggestion, it's perhaps worth learning a couple of songs like that for your repertoire, as it will be another way into your music for your listeners and - if nothing but in their eyes - place the uke in context and give it some "credibility".

Keep doing what you're doing mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Dribble View Post
    But in the end, and, as a suggestion, it's perhaps worth learning a couple of songs like that for your repertoire, as it will be another way into your music for your listeners and - if nothing but in their eyes - place the uke in context and give it some "credibility".
    I did just that several months back just to prove to people that I could do it. I can now play the beginning of "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zeppelin) and "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton.

Just the other day, I came across a YouTube tutorial (for a song called "Summertime") which I believe was posted by a UU member. I hope to add that to my repertoire next.

Two words: Richie. Havens.

You do you, amigo.
    Thou Shalt Not.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    There is a bit of truth in all ukulele songs sounding the same. Ralph Shaw made a great point about this and addressed it in a workshop. You learn to play your first song and by the time you have learned to play your fifth song you notice they all sound the same. He was teaching a strumming workshop and we played with the same song with VERY different strum patterns and tempos, made a huge difference. Just some food for thought.

Everybody is a critic and if you march to the beat of your own drum they will zero in on you. I think your sample sounded great, very musical and engaging. Don't let the bastards get to you. Old British POW saying
    Lil' Rev is big about this too.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    There is a bit of truth in all ukulele songs sounding the same.
    Ways around that:

* develop a varied repertoire that extends beyond one or two easy keys and patterns
    * adopt different styles -- mix-up strumming, clawhammer, 3-finger picking, soft flatpicking, etc
    * switch between different ukes -- my goal is a 3-neck franken-uke strung CEAD, gCEg, and GDAE
    * take breaks to play tinwhistle, harmonica, ocarina, mouth bow, kalimba, kazumpet, whatever
    * or just feed your audience enough drugs that they don't notice the sameness

And really concentrate on singing whilst playing, even if the playing suffers. Most audiences (especially relatives) could care less about fancy fingerwork. Sing something they know or think they know. Doesn't have to be singalongs, but familiarity is comfortable.

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

Thread Information