Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me? Or does everyone have to deal with the critics?

Quote Originally Posted by JCryan View Post
    This is the first video I've ever posted of myself playing and I did so only to provide readers of this thread with content from which they can make a valid assessment of my abilities.

I understand that my choice to play a right-handed ukulele upside down (as a lefty) subjects me to challenges that a proper ukulele playing would not face (some chords are nearly impossible to play upside down).

With that being said, I relaize that I am not a skilled ukulele player, but I personally do not feel that my playing is unbearable.

Your playing is fine, what you are doing is fine. We all seek approval, we are conditioned from childhood..........good boy, bad boy. Approval equalled not getting spanked and maybe an ice cream cone.

As adults we now have the choice to tell others to "bugger off" if they don't like what we are doing. You are making music, it is making you happy, keep doing what you are doing. Remember Jimmy Hendrix, dude waas very unorthodox..............maybe wear a headband
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Can you play as well/better/worse the conventional way with a uke strung for a lefty? Which way is easier?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Can you play as well/better/worse the conventional way with a uke strung for a lefty? Which way is easier?
    Easier, in general? IMHO 'standard' linear tunings on ANY instrument are a social convention. We learn to finger fretted instruments in a conventional way because most instrument makers build conventional axes. We could just as easily learn different tunings, different fingerings. If I'd been handed a lefty guitar when I was 14, I might have learned it that way.

I've recently strung soprano 'ukes for fifths tuning, both with a linear fifths set, and just by reversing (and retuning) standard strings. The Aquila Fifths set lets me play standard mando fingerings on the somewhat wider soprano fretboard; the stock re-entrant set, flipped and tuned a#-F-C-G, gives mando chords a very 'uke-ish sound but puts the notes in unfamiliar places -- fine for strumming, maddening for fingerpicking. If I tune it aECG, it's just a lefty 'uke, hey?

A mountain dulcimer is usually strung 'backwards' because of how it's played, with the one or two higher melody strings nearer the player than the lower drones. We get a very different effect by fretting the lower strings, singly or together, and letting the higher strings drone. There's a similar effect when playing a reverse-strung 'uke or guitar, or even a 6-string 'uke with the top course doubled in octaves. Now I must play bass lines with my index finger and melodies with my thumb. I must learn and master new techniques. After awhile, they get easy.

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I've never played a string instrument prior to purchasing my first ukulele a little over a year ago, so playing a right-handed ukulele upside down is all I know. I have since re-strung at least a half dozen ukuleles, but never considered re-stringing one as a left-handed ukulele. When people approach me to hear me play, I do not reveal that I'm playing a right-handed ukulele upside down and rarely do people notice.

I don't feel that my method of playing hinders my abilities because I play for fun and I've accomplished that.
    Last edited by JCryan; 07-01-2015 at 05:11 AM.

I've never played a string instrument prior to purchasing my first ukulele a little over a year ago, so playing a right-handed ukulele upside down is all I know. I have since re-strung at least a half dozen ukuleles, but never considered re-stringing one as a left-handed ukulele. When people approach me to hear me play, I do not reveal that I'm playing a right-handed ukulele upside down and rarely do people notice.

I don't feel that my method of playing hinders my abilities because I play for fun and I've accomplished that.
    I don't know why it would be a disadvantage to play it upside down and left handed. Like you, the ukulele is my first stringed instrument. I'm right handed. I had to learn how to fret a G, and you had to learn how to fret a G. Your G isn't upside down to you, mine is. So I think that you are doing just as well as anyone.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I don't know why it would be a disadvantage to play it upside down and left handed.
    It just seems as though the fingering for some chords (such as the D7 chord) might be less challenging if I played the ukulele properly. To achieve the D7 chord, I must place my fingers as follows:

Index finger = String 2 - Fret 2
    Middle finger = String 3 - Fret 2
    Ring finger = String 4 - Fret 2
    Pinky finger = String 1 Fret 3

As you can see, I have to loop my Pinky finger to String 1 (which is the top most string for me playing upside down) because I'm unable to place my index finger on fret 3 with the remaining fingers on fret 2.

There may be an alternate method of playing the D7, but I have yet to identify it.

Now that I think about it, I suppose I could Bar the 2nd Fret with my index finger and use my middle finger to play Fret 3 on String 1 with my middle finger.
    Last edited by JCryan; 07-01-2015 at 05:42 AM.

It just seems as though the fingering for some chords (such as the D7 chord) might be less challenging if I played the ukulele properly. To achieve the D7 chord, I must place my fingers as follows:

Index finger = String 2 - Fret 2
    Middle finger = String 3 - Fret 2
    Ring finger = String 4 - Fret 2
    Pinky finger = String 1 Fret 3

As you can see, I have to loop my Pinky finger to String 1 (which is the top most string for me playing upside down) because I'm unable to place my index finger on fret 3 with the remaining fingers on fret 2.

There may be an alternate method of playing the D7, but I have yet to identify it.
    Well, some chords are just harder than others, regardless. The thing is, chords are not governed by how easy they are to play, they are governed by the notes, and where they are on the fretboard. Also, right handed, or left handed, there are more than one way to play a cord. But I play the D7 2020 a lot of the time, and if I played it upside down, it would be an Em7 instead of a D7 for me, neither of which is difficult.
    Last edited by Rllink; 07-01-2015 at 05:50 AM.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

Now that I think about it, I suppose I could Bar the 2nd Fret with my index finger and use my middle finger to play Fret 3 on String 1 with my middle finger.
    Scroll down to D7 and take a look at the "Smart Way".http://ukulelehunt.com/2014/10/08/no...chord-changes/

Also you can read about it here. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...32067-D7-Chord
    Last edited by Rllink; 07-01-2015 at 06:06 AM.

I'll be the first to admit that I rarely conform to "the norm".

I've been playing for a little over a year and I love to play.

• I'm a lefty that plays right-handed ukuleles upside down (to allow for me to play other ukuleles should I encounter them).
    • I prefer to strum using cut-out cardboard picks of my own design (which result in a washboard sound effect when strumming).
    • I don't know how to read music and am okay with that.
    • I don't make an effort to learn how to play existing songs, but rather use them as inspiration for the creation of my own songs.
    • I cannot tune my ukulele without the use of a phone app (even though I can tell when it is out of tune).
    • I don't really even have a desire to become a "talented" ukulele player, because I play simply because I enjoy playing.

Here is a quick clip of me playing one of my songs to give you a better understanding of my abilities (or lack thereof). lol

I don't know anyone else that plays the ukulele, but my brother and his kids play instruments (primarily guitar and bass). Whenever they (and even strangers) see me with my ukulele, they ask me to play a song (which I gladly do).

Yet, once I play one of my songs, they begin asking me to play a "real song" (something they know).

Then the criticisms begin...

"Maybe if you strung your ukulele for a lefty, you'd be able to improve your skills."

"All your songs sound the same!"

"Why don't you learn to strum with your fingers like a real ukulele player?"

Although I don't let it get to me, I'm almost at the point in which I just want to hide when playing to a avoid the critics.

Am I the only one that deals with this?
    Don't let them get you down.
    Rather, you should feel a little sad for them if for any negative emotions,
    Because they are not really commenting on you but more so they are making a commentary on their own character- of- lacking. Such as tact, sense, common sociability, the need to criticize probably bc of how much they have received it in their own endeavors..
    Some just don't like it when they see others (you and me) enjoy what we do sitting there and can't leave us alone.
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Thread Information