What the heck are "mmaj" chords?

WKerrigan

Reaction score
Trying to learn Glen Campbell's "Gentle on My Mind" from some chords n the ultimate guitar website.

There are a number of chords I can't simply fnd on my uke chord apps.

What are these chords?

Dmmaj
Dmmaj7
Dmaj7

Does mmaj stand for minor major? Does that even make sense? If D is a major chord, then is Dmaj7 just another way of writing D7.

Any help appreciated.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/glen_campbell/gentle_on_my_mind_ver3_crd.htm

A D7 chord is a D chord to which you add a flat 7th.

A D chord has the notes D F# A to make a D7 you add a flat 7 which is a C so a D7 is D F# A C
A major 7th adds a "sharp 7" rather than a flat 7 so for Dmaj7 you would add a C# to a D chord so you get D F# A C#
You can finger a Dmaj7 in a C tuned ukulele as 2224

By analogy, a Dm7 is D F A C so a Dmmaj7 would be D F A C#. On a C tuned ukulele that would be 2214 (An interesting chord)

Similarly C7 is C E G Bb, Cmaj7 C E G B and Cmmaj7 C Eb G B
and G7 is G B D F, Gmaj7 C B G F# and Gmmaj7 G Bb D F#
and so on.

I'm sure others will chip in with all the theory behind it but I've deliberately avoided that for now.

Tootler is right on it. It's pretty weird.

Just want to add that it's called a "minor-major7" so people don't get confused by the "mm". Usually it's notated m/M7 or min/maj7 or m(maj7), etc...

Just remember that "m", "mi" and "min" mean a minor 3rd (default is a major one), whereas "M", "ma" and "maj" mean a major 7th (default is a minor one), even when the following number is 9, 11 or 13 instead of 7. [The 9th and 13th are major by default: A9 has a major 9th and minor 7th, per the defaults. The 11th, like the 4th, is "perfect"—no major/minor counterparts.]

And as you've seen, "min" always precedes "maj" when both are used together.

Top Bottom