Post Op Recovery-Take One Ukulele For An Hour A Day

Good luck and a speedy recovery :)

I had a previously-scheduled hernia operation about 18 months ago. With view to alleviating the boredom of recovery I decided to learn the mandolin on my release from hospital. The op didn't go quite according to plan, a couple of unforeseen minor complications meant a few extra days recovery, but at least I can now play the mandolin ;)

I'd recommend it to anyone ;)

Stay positive. You are an inspiration to us all. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hollis, great to see you enjoying that DaSilva. Lovely instrument and I'm sure Natalie will be pleased to see that photo of you.

I have managed the immediate post-op, inpatient rehabilitation of joint replacement and orthopedic patients for many years--over 15 years, now that I look back on it--as medical director of a 30-bed inpatient rehab unit. I will tell you that a knee replacement is, far and away, the most painful joint replacement from a post-op perspective (I didn't want to mention this in our pre-op PMs a week or more ago, for obvious reasons, LOL). Other joint replacements (e.g. a hip) a breeze in comparison to the knee (no CPM machine, for one thing), as is the length and pain associated with outpatient physical therapy that you will undergo now. That said, and this I may have mentioned, the outcome will be great for you, Hollis. Good stuff. Very worthwhile. Ice, ice, ice. You go! I just saw this thread as I have been busy, but glad I spotted it to send you Aloha wishes.--Steve

Steve, I was aware of what I was facing, at least intellectually, but the reality of pain is another matter. Who would have thought, 4 years ago when I misplaced my foot climbing down a hill in Ireland, that I'd reach this point in time. That clumsiness lead to 2 previous operations to clean up torn cartilage which just accelerated the knee wearing out. There was really no choice but to bite the bullet and have it done.
The physiotherapist who strapped me to the CPM machine neglected to say that Torquemada sent her. The 1st day I worked up to 90 and by the time I left hospital I had worked that up to 100 degrees of movement. My surgeon was happy with that. Now, being home since Thursday, I can actually lift my leg in an out of bed using its own muscles and can bend my leg enough to put my socks on by myself. Luckily I have months of paid sick leave so I can take my time to focus on rehab and uke practice.

Yes Music is a great way to heal.
I wish you a speedy recovery

I 'm 53 and had prostate surgery almost a year ago. Videos and comments from the uu community helped me get through it. And I got back to music a couple of days after I got home.

I posted this video soon after getting home
In fact the stick you see me holding is to hold the catheter bag which I had for two weeks at home.

Anyway a year later I'm getting back to normal and musical is one of the best things in my life.

Last edited:
I'm in recovery too...knee replacement revision recovery that is. One of my 2 knee replacements failed after only 5 years. So slice and do it all again. So much for the doc's "Better than the Weather" 15 year guarantee! Anyhow, I'm doing great. Could stand without support after 2 days, down to only 1 crutch after 4 days, and today, 6 days in, they had me on my Lifecycle, and said I could go to only a cane if desired. At this rate, I'll be doing the Ironman next week! :D. My trusty Flea concert is keeping me company, such a great little uke, it tucks in next to the bed so nicely! Plenty of time to learn new songs. Will post one soon on Links.
View attachment 129758

Congratulations John! That's great news. I have that to look forward to in the not too distant future. But no date set as yet.

Keep up the PT and you'll be dancing a jig to your uke playing in no time.

Top Bottom