Cordoba mini - can I use any classical guitar strings?

I just bought a Mini-M last week and although I liked the ADGCEA tuning I bought a set of these Aquila E strings. I just restrung it and it sounds very balanced. I am happy.

I too had a Yamaha Guitarelele and found it too tight. I made a nut that was a wide as I could for spacing and my hand would always cramp up after one or two songs (I can play my wife's soprinino without that happening).

I played the Mini-R and settled on the Mini-M but both were tuned to A. The M was fuller sounding with A the R was brighter. The opposite of the tunings. I think if I knew what the E strings sounded like I might have bought the Mini-R.

I want one tuned to E and one tuned to A......HHHEEELLPPPPP!!

BTY, Aquila did a really good job of making the strings sets for this axe very balanced. Both the E and A sets.

Hello to All,
I've got a mini R tuned to A and the fiirst string snapped a day before my holiday. No chance to get the proper Aquilas on time, so I had to try other options. A clear nylon classical Luthier snapped around G [and it was being tensioned very very gently], so not every set of classical guitar strings will work. Strings that do work and work quite well are Ernie Ball Ernesto Palla classic guitar ball ends. I have the black nylon ones. They sound brighter than the Aquilas and lack some of their finesse, but as a rather inexpensive emergency solution they are definitely good enough. They also are a bit softer than the Aquilas tuned to A. Hope this helps someone. Maciek

I'm not impressed with the treble strings in the Cordoba E tuning set, the bass strings are fine, but I'd like to try something else for the treble. I saw the "Oasis GPX Carbon High Tension Treble Set", recommended somewhere. But before I order those I'd love to know... has anyone tried baritone uke strings on the Cordoba Mini?

Last edited:
Hi Mimmo, where can they be bought in the EU?

I can confirm to the rest that you can just tie a knot in the strings and add a ball on top. I've just tried the daddario carbon hard tension strings; the strings with the highest tension and they are just a bit to floppy at standard tuning. Tuning up a semitone to F makes them acceptable, but still, I'd like to try other options.

Hi sirwhale,

GAK has them in the UK:

E tuning

A tuning

Hello Jewel2001 and all,
glad there's this thread, as I myself am on the search for an alternative string choice to the Mini - E string set from Cordoba/Aquila.
I LOVE my Mini-M, it's amazing. I switched out the A-A set, and put on the E-E set, and it's just ok. Playable, but I find the trebles to be lacking in power and vibrancy.
I found the A-A set similar too. Maybe it's the feel of the Aquila Super Nylgut that I don't quite like on the Mini, which is what they are made out of.

Like Jewel asked, I also asked online once if anyone has tried hard tension carbon uke strings on the Mini, like baritone uke strings. I haven't done this yet so I'm also curious.

The only other option I found online somewhere, it might have been on an Amazon review, is that someone said they were able to get expert advice and try the Oasis GPX hard tension trebles, and that he found it very successful and great.
I was just about to buy this set but it sold out.

Curious to see who else has successfully found an alternate string for the Mini.

I've got mine strung with the Thomastik Infeld Classic N set of guitar strings. Tuned A - A, tension is lovely and they sound great. I love the flatwound bass strings in that set and they suit the Mini well to my ears.

Still looking for the best E to E alternative

I've got mine strung with the Thomastik Infeld Classic N set of guitar strings. Tuned A - A, tension is lovely and they sound great. I love the flatwound bass strings in that set and they suit the Mini well to my ears.

I play mostly guitar and some baritone uke, and my poor old brain doesn't deal well with switching between A-A and E-E, so I'm still looking for the best E-E solution.

I have the Mini-M and personally I prefer the A to A tuning. I mainly use mine for playing in bed or the sofa or on a hike and I simply play my regular guitar music on it. It's fine as long as I'm not playing with anyone else. (That said, I too would prefer the E to E tuning but I don't think it sounds as good as the A to A on the Mini.) of course, I think I'll reread everyone else's responses because maybe there's an alternative to the Aquila strings that will work well. Glad you posted this question. Thanks.

Some strings, such as those made by Savarez, come in extra or super high tension versions. I think these might be a good option.

Last edited:
Ordered Oasis GPX hard tension trebles

I ordered the Oasis GPX hard tension trebles from stringsandbeyond.com a couple of days ago. I'll post again after I've received them and tried them out.

Like another person on this thread, I had difficulty with breaking strings when I tried the Aquila A-A strings designed for the Cordoba Mini. But I really need E-E anyway because I sometimes take it to uke jams and I need to play the chords the way I'm accustomed to playing them... with E tuning.

Savarez makes string sets for short scale guitars. Strings by Mail sells them so maybe ask them for more info. Don't know what gauges they use or what tuning they are intended for.

John

Great Jewel, I also ordered the GPX HT trebles a few days ago. I will also repost and share my opinions on whether this is a good alternative! Looking forward to it.

Hi guys,well, I have seen that the discussion go on....
The Aquila Mini strings are designed just for this instrument.
A classical guitar medium tension set is too tense for it. You can recongize that, tuning it a whole tone down, the tension will became balanced
The problem is that you should use a very very light tension guitar set, that is not easy available in the market. The standard light tension sets are still too tight.

Mini E tuning strings : the Mini scale is too short for the E tuning. This mean that, on the upper strings, the sound is warmer and rounder than the usual. You can try fluorocarbon strings but at the condition that the tension is not too high. This is nothing but easy: all the guitar sets made with fluocarbon has, generally speackin, a very hgh tension also on guitars.
Take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
I just got a Mini R and grabbed some D'Addario Requinto strings for it. Will post back when I get them on and settled. A 20" scale is a 20" scale to my thinking. I have the GPX carbon full set but the string diameter is higher. I use those on my 24" and 25" scale classicals and my 24" 1920s vintage parlors.

hi everyone!
thanks Mimmo for your expert advice since you are the designer of the strings. The E and A sets do sound nice but the feel is weird for me, and maybe for some others. It makes me feel like I'm rubbing marble rather than playing guitar. and maybe it's ok for some people but strange for me in terms of feel. Sound-wise, it's very warm and sweet. but for feel, So the quest continues to find an alternate string that feels more familiar for guitar players alike.

So the good news. I put on the Oasis GPX Carbon HT trebles on last night, and kept the base strings from the Aquila E-E set and here's my verdict:

SOUND: Fantastic. More power and notes ring clear and defined! Very nice sound and now it sound more like a guitar. I've tried several styles of playing...sounds great with jazz, fingerstyle, Brazilian choro, Bossa, Samba, Country and just general strumming. Very very nice.

FEEL: slightly squeeky but that's because they're new, and carbon and needs time settling in. But, very nice feel in terms of needing that same familiar guitar string under fingers touch and feel. They are slightly thinner than the Aquilas and when using finger pull off techniques, they ring loud and clear, and easier to pull off. Now this may be subjective and maybe even psychological, but it does now give relief that we're really playing a true mini classical guitar. And..that's just maybe just perception. Whatever it is...I like the results a lot as an alternative.

TENSION: so this is where it gets tricky. The Oasis GPX HT trebles are labeled as high tension. I don't remember the gauges and pounds off the top of my head, but...they don't actually feel tight at all. I was careful and apprehensive of the high tension but after putting them on, they have quite a bit of give. They are certainly not as tight as i thought in terms of just pure feel and i can move the strings up and down, side to side without feeling tight after tuning to pitch. I have felt MUCH higher tightness on just tenor ukes themselves and they were hard to play.
But these Oasis strings feel pretty good...not tight nor floppy. By contrast, the Aquilas actually felt tighter to move and play.

Of course, just by pure feel may not be enough. I'm not a math and numbers kind of person, so I'm not going to go in and calculate actual tension. I will continue to monitor the guitar over the next few days and weeks to see if the strings made any physical effects on the soundboard, neck, bridge pulling etc. But it does feel like nothing is going to happen because the strings don't feel tight at all and are extremely playable. I have felt other tighter tensions on other ukes where i was really afraid something would get warped.

So, overall...based on what I was looking for, feel, tone, the Oasis GPX HT trebles are (so far) a great alternative to the original strings. They sound good to my ears, feel good and again, just from a pure subjectively perception and psychological point of view, they really work well.

of course I will continue to monitor for physical effects, so after that I will re-post and see what others have to say for those who have also put on these alternative strings.

Mimmo has worked hard to design these original strings, so let's give lots of credit and positive marks for all the work he has done for the community!
No doubt the Aquilas are good and nice. We just want more alternatives because we LOVE this Cordoba Mini so much, it would be so sad to only have Aquilas E or A set to use.

so thank you everyone. I'm glad we still have this discussion going. If we can help make products better as a community, then why not?

so for now, the GPX trebles do work and they sound great from my experience only so far.

Would like to know who else has put on these strings?

Are you using GPX trebles made for uke specifically or a standard guitar set? A standard guitar set would be low tension on a 20" scale.

I don't generally use Aquilas. They do work well on some of my ukes but are pretty dull on my Mini R, and I prefer fluorocarbon all around.

String tension calculators are useful when converting strings to a short or odd scale.

hi Teek
I'm using the GPX carbon HT trebles for regular classical guitar. I just made the ends knotted enough to be like balls, and then slip the little ball end rings through them and install like any bridge pin type installation. Then wound them up on the Mini M, and cut off the excess string at the tuning head area. Works well so far.

i bought this one from stringsbymail.com

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-gpx-carbon-ht-classical-guitar-strings-treble-set-3553.html

Fuzzeesock
Thank you for sharing your experiment !
Is there a reason why you keep the bass strings from Aquila E set?
Just wondering does this mean I need to order the Aquila E -E to achieve the same result?
You explained very well about the Aquila strings. They are loud and clear but the feel is strange! I just played the miniR for two hour straight. My fingers finally got used to the strings but like to try other alternative too.

thanks guys
please feel you free to use what you prefere. I am not worry if you prefere different brands.
again about the E tuning: the basses are very good because they are different than tose for guitar. In short, there is more metal on
ciao

Top Bottom