Rubin Ukes -> Caramel Ukes

July 14th 2015 'til today Feb 18th 2017......440 posts. Time to get off the fence Jimmy. I just ordered a Caramel CT 102 A tenor zebra wood. It will be delivered between Mar 9th and Mar 30th. If it is as nice as my Ammoon Soprano UK 21 zebra wood I shall be pleased.

Congrats on your purchase. I now have purchased 52 Caramels, although only one is a personal instrument. I have a Sopranino of my own, which has become incredibly valuable as I create classical ukulele lead sheets and as I have started making some ukulele play-along videos in the style of Dr. Jill Reese, Dr. A, and now Kevin Way. It is handy to have a small, quiet ukulele on hand to play things through.

So...40 zebrawood concerts, 10 zebrawood tenors. And one solid top acacia that was a fundraising reward.

The Caramels are doing great in a dry school environment. If I were to buy more, I wouldn't adjust saddles until the instruments had "dried out" in our environment. Instruments set at 2.65mm at the 12th fret upon arrival have ended up drying out to have lower action than that. Some have become a little buzzy, and I have replaced a couple of the saddles with replacement saddles (thank you, eBay) to return some of the height. I also end up dealing with sharp fret ends (they don't arrive that way any more) as the fretboards dry out.

But it is important to note that these are only $37 and $40 instruments.

Of all my Caramels, I have been most surprised by the construction of the Sopranino. When you buy a Caramel, you are NOT buying a Kala, Ohana, or other well-built name-brand ukulele. You are buying a inexpensive entry level ukulele that is incredibly well-built for the price--and I would say a better investment for a first ukulele than any other brand. I don't have any problem with a person buying another beginner ukulele (a Dolphin, for example), but even a Dolphin tends to be a $50 soprano ukulele. And as we all know, if the ukulele "hooks" you, your first ukulele will only be your first!

I know Barry Maz (gotaukulele.com) has a Caramel that he is reviewing. I am interested to see what he will say. I'm expecting him to say that it is an incredible instrument for the price, as well as to comment on looks (Zebrawood is a take-it-or-leave it look for many people) inexpensive (cheap) but useable tuners, and decent sound for a laminate. But I also expect him to say something to the effect of, "It isn't a K-Brand ukulele, but it costs 3% to 4% of the cost of a K-Brand ukulele*, and doesn't play like 3% to 4% of a K-Brand, so it is a pretty interesting choice." I'm curious if he will recommend it or not.

*I am using the $40 price versus a $1200 K-Brand, which might actually be too little for a K-Brand.

Thank you Choirguy. Whenever it arrives at the end of March I shall drill the bridge my usual way and make it a string through like I have done on my others. I have done this for some local players and they like the apparent or imagined improvement it makes. I have two celtic harps and the string through has been used for centuries. Of course the extra time involved is not considered productive in this day and age. Regards.

Thank you Choirguy. Whenever it arrives at the end of March I shall drill the bridge my usual way and make it a string through like I have done on my others. I have done this for some local players and they like the apparent or imagined improvement it makes. I have two celtic harps and the string through has been used for centuries. Of course the extra time involved is not considered productive in this day and age. Regards.

I didn't know that, I thought it was new. I have two ukes with it, and I think it's far superior to other stringing methods!

Has anybody played with the all solid concert model CC300 (spruce top, mahogany back&sides)???

I have not played the concert, but I have played the spruce and Mahogany soprano and baritone. They were both, as usual for caramel, surprisingly great. In my experience they do concerts the best compared to
The other sizes.

July 14th 2015 'til today Feb 18th 2017......440 posts. Time to get off the fence Jimmy. I just ordered a Caramel CT 102 A tenor zebra wood. It will be delivered between Mar 9th and Mar 30th. If it is as nice as my Ammoon Soprano UK 21 zebra wood I shall be pleased.
Today Feb 22nd 2017 at 1pm EST the Caramel Tenor arrived, it was wrapped in a standard tenor cardboard carton with 1/4 inch foam reinforcement panels and in perfect shape. Hurray for Rubin/Caramel Sweet life, Amazon.ca and Chinese postal system, not forgetting Xressspost.
Nickie told me years ago how to post pictures, so please give me a wee while to come down from my orbit.

Choirguy, I'm a big fan of concert ukes, but I also like a sopranos, and I'm wondering why you haven't bought any sopranos for your students. What's your thinking on that?

The bridge has changed on the Caramel CT 102 A. I like it very much. Everything old is new again, if you can visualize the bridge on the 1932 Martin 0-18 T tenor guitar you will have an idea of the new path that perhaps Rubin/Caramel are headed. I will not drill the bridge for string through this time around but will go with the bridge pins through the bridge while I tweak saddle and nut to my fussy standards. I need to take about 2mm off the saddle for starters. I am sorry but I have no pictures as of yet.
PS: 1.25 mm off the saddle proved sufficient. Three tries before I was content.

Last edited:

Today Feb 22nd 2017 at 1pm EST the Caramel Tenor arrived, it was wrapped in a standard tenor cardboard carton with 1/4 inch foam reinforcement panels and in perfect shape. Hurray for Rubin/Caramel Sweet life, Amazon.ca and Chinese postal system, not forgetting Xressspost.
Nickie told me years ago how to post pictures, so please give me a wee while to come down from my orbit.

Feb 18 order with Feb 22 delivery? Did you really get it in just 4 days? I also have the zebra tenor and really like it, but it certainly didn't come in 4 days. I'm very interested to see your pictures to see the change in the bridge.

I already have the sopranino and the thin body tenor (both really high quality for the price--and both have been featured in multiple Seasons videos). I am currently waiting on the rosewood baritone (with the ovation Adamas-style soundholes)--will post when I've got it.

Caramel isn't showing the thin body tenor on its site anymore.

PS: On its Facebook page, Caramel has a photos section. If you click on “See all” below the pics' thumbnails, you'll bring up “Photos from Friends and Groups,” where someone suggested a couple of ideas for sound hole designs.

Perhaps the pictures will download.MapleLeaf_IMG_7397_2.jpgRosette_IMG_7398.jpg
Making saw dust is easier for me than working on the computer. Jim.

Last edited:
Thank you Tenor for the compliment. There are 14 incised dots and sail boat sails or petals (let's call them) around the sound hole. Whenever I was making the rosette I thought that if I made 14 little semi circles it would look too busy and cluttered that is why I choose only 8 around the circumference, with the sugar-maple leaf as the centre.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the book-matched back on my Caramel Tenor 102A. A special thank you to the luthier with the experienced eye; having the ability to visualize and see the nice zebra wood grain coming together at the centre of the back.

Attachments

• Back_bookmatch_IMG_7385.jpg
    Back_bookmatch_IMG_7385.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 45
Here is a picture of the book-matched back on my Caramel Tenor 102A. A special thank you to the luthier with the experienced eye; having the ability to visualize and see the nice zebra wood grain coming together at the centre of the back.

My Soprano CS-100 has a V on the front I really like that. My other zebras are pretty much parallel but still sound good.

Top Bottom