::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 21!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you were into a lot longer than I have. I had a whole bunch of friends into it in the 90s, but I was still into grunge and stuff.

I was 19-20 when I first discovered some of the newer swing bands, like Squirrel Nut Zippers and started learning swing dance. But when I turned 21, and went to my first Rev Horton Heat show, I was HOOKED. He is also amazing on guitar and really cool to his fans. My husband likes the genre a little, but I've never been able to talk him into a live show...and he would never swing dance.

I follow several tiny house groups on FB. Vintage trailers too. Living small fascinates me.

Fascinates me, too! I live in 1100 sq ft. I'd like to go a good bit smaller. I am purging a lot of stuff and creating open space. I don't need much.

I'd sell a couple of ukes, but you know how that goes around here . . .

I'm not sure when the term psychobilly was coined. There was a swing/big band revival in the 90's in sort of the underground alternative music scene that I think was born out of the ska music movement of the 80's and 90's.

About the oldest psychobilly band, or what I would consider as psychobilly would be The Cramps.

This is a really old song, lots of band have covered it going back to the 50's. Here's Huey's version. Reminds me of that song.

Man, do I love Huey Lewis and the News! Always have. To me, Huey is a rock singer's rock singer. If I could sing like any rocker I can think of, it would be Huey.

The other two videos posted tonight were bands I've never heard before. It all sounded like just so much screaming, to me. Huey, on the other hand, sings.

Just my :2cents:

Man, do I love Huey Lewis and the News! Always have. To me, Huey is a rock singer's rock singer. If I could sing like any rocker I can think of, it would be Huey.

The other two videos posted tonight were bands I've never heard before. It all sounded like just so much screaming, to me. Huey, on the other hand, sings.

Just my :2cents:
yes he sure can. I've loved him since the first time I heard him in the early 80's. He was my first live concert. The year I lived in San Fransisco I used to wonder what I'd say if I ran into him. He lives there and is very out and about in his town. Fortunately that never happened, I'm sure I woulda just babbled incoherently.
I have all his albums on vinyl.

(Waiting for Gary to say he served him sushi)

About the oldest psychobilly band, or what I would consider as psychobilly would be The Cramps.

I know the Cramps. They were one of the very first Punk bands back in the mid seventies. I alway thought they were a punk band.

I was 19-20 when I first discovered some of the newer swing bands, like Squirrel Nut Zippers and started learning swing dance. But when I turned 21, and went to my first Rev Horton Heat show, I was HOOKED. He is also amazing on guitar and really cool to his fans. My husband likes the genre a little, but I've never been able to talk him into a live show...and he would never swing dance.

We love going to see local swing and gypsy jazz bands. It is what got us into taking dance lessons. We love watching the dancers, and have wanted to learn to swing dance. Lindy hop is so much fun. I miss it. I don't have the energy for it right now.

I know the Cramps. They were one of the very first Punk bands back in the mid seventies. I alway thought they were a punk band.

The line between punk and psychobilly are gray. They have some songs that would fall into the genre and they are a big influence in the movement.

Cool, are you checking out schools in the area?

Hi! I don't think we've met? But I'm Lauren and I'm from a long time ago.

And actually, I'm a freshman at Whitworth University in Spokane, WA. One of my friends is from Portland and she's showing us around. :)

We love going to see local swing and gypsy jazz bands. It is what got us into taking dance lessons. We love watching the dancers, and have wanted to learn to swing dance. Lindy hop is so much fun. I miss it. I don't have the energy for it right now.

I am sure I can still do most of the basics. I'm not in shape to do some of the moves. I did well when my dance partner was a good leader. Then there are some guys that really get into it and you just have to hang on while they fling you in every direction and by the end of the song you are dizzy. Lol. "Whoah! That was fun!" Lol

I also use to go to Lat night once a week and do salsa and merengue. That was fun, too. All of that was a different season of my life.

yes he sure can. I've loved him since the first time I heard him in the early 80's. He was my first live concert. The year I lived in San Fransisco I used to wonder what I'd say if I ran into him. He lives there and is very out and about in his town. Fortunately that never happened, I'm sure I woulda just babbled incoherently.
I have all his albums on vinyl.

(Waiting for Gary to say he served him sushi)

I met him once when I was in 7th grade. He was very nice to us kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom