FS: Kanilea K2 Custom Super Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russellbarnett

Reaction score
Caught myself a bad case of UAS and have to sell my baby to pay for my new one. The older of my two daughters is quite relieved that it doesn't work this way for real babies, but my younger one seems to like the idea of being an only child. Creepy :confused:.

This is a 2007 model K2 custom super tenor (http://kanileaukulele.com/k-2_superTenor.php?osCsid=35d17af3d7c589e1c279648b9341eb49), in like new condition. Please note that the picture on the Kanilea site is a normal tenor, and doesn't show the larger lower bout that the ST has. Pics below. Kanilea says that the larger soundboard on the ST increases sound projection. Here is a recording of me playing it: http://yourlisten.com/Russell.Barnett/gm-7-16-15. Please forgive the bad playing and just focus on the instrument's excellent sound.

The first owner bought it in 2007 but never played it. I bought it in Feb 2014 and have played it nearly daily since then. No scratches or scuffs. It is a great instrument that plays beautifully, and I am only selling it because I have a custom from Maui luthier Ken Potts being built right now.

Here is info on the instrument from Kanilea themselves:

"The K-2 Custom Super Tenor you are now the proud owner of (serial no. K0507-977) was completed on May 4, 2007. Here are its specs:

• Deluxe Curly Koa Back, Sides and Sound Board
• Rosewood Fret Board and Bridge
• Front Binding
• B/W/B Rosette
• Open geared tuners – Gold"

The tuners are Grovers, and the fretboard is 1.5" at the nut, non radiused - just in case anyone is interested.

Comes with a sturdy pro-tec baritone case (in case you aren't familiar with Kanilea Super Tenor models, the large lower bout means it doesn't fit in tenor cases, so it has to use a baritone case). Asking $1000 shipped via paypal (by either no fee transfer or you cover the fees) or cashier check. I have a uke crazy hard case which I will substitute for the pro tec for $40 extra (half the cost of $80 when I bought it two months ago).

Pictures below, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

00M0M_h8FbgA02FjP_600x450.jpg00z0z_c71OxKe5B0D_600x450.jpg01717_a1oz20pEwAI_600x450.jpg00m0m_kKPv1Hfx5Ac_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Here are two more pictures, of the serial number and the email from Kanilea that I quoted in the OP.

01212_e7Lxq0WFWZA_600x450.jpg00j0j_jlMcxX253Fi_600x450.jpg

Sweet looking deal.

You know ... I like a big bout, I can not lie.

Good luck.

Also worthy of mention are the KU logo and the blue label. I have a tenor from 2006, it's fantastic. good luck.

Also worthy of mention are the KU logo and the blue label. I have a tenor from 2006, it's fantastic. good luck.

Thanks. I was aware that this logo was only used for a short time, allegedly due to concern that Kansas University would sue from what I've heard (you can't make this stuff up), but I'm not sure the significance of the blue label - can you educate me?

I think the blue label is from pre 2008 when Joe moved the production from his garage to the shop. I don't really know the specifics, but it means it's an early Kanilea! And that it doesn't have the braces with the holes - I forget what they call those.

Thanks. I was aware that this logo was only used for a short time, allegedly due to concern that Kansas University would sue from what I've heard (you can't make this stuff up), but I'm not sure the significance of the blue label - can you educate me?

My oh my, those sides are sweet! Good luck with your sale, it's a beautiful instrument!

Just sold it locally. Now I just have to wait impatiently for my new one :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom