Kamaka vs. KoAloha ??

I can only judge Kanilea and KoAloha from personal experience as I have both, but it seems like a lot of sound samples on Kamakas are a bit off. It may be the stock strings though. HMS uploaded a video a few days ago comparing Kanilea, KoAaloha and Kamaka tenors and the Kamaka was easily the worst of the 3 in that comparison. Sounded muddy to me.

I am trying to decide between my next tenor ukulele being a Kamaka or a KoAloha. They are both beautiful and roughly the same price so what are the differences between the models? What would YOU recommend? Please help me out as I am really torn between the two! Thanks so much.
Rob

I've tried both. I own a Koaloha. I now love love my Koaloha but it wasn't love at first strum and it took time for it to become my favorite. When I played the Kamaka I wasn't a fan of the strings or action. However both those can be changed. So since it takes time for me to develop a fondness for an instrument perhaps I should retry a Kamaka. :)

Interesting to see this thread come up after 10 years (2009!). During those years, I've owned several of each. The Koalohas got re-homed pretty quickly each time; I still own three Kamakas that I play regularly. For me it comes down to a combination of sound and playability but YMMV.

Interesting to see this thread come up after 10 years (2009!).

And it will come up again in another 10 years, simply because there’s no right answer...except maybe ‘I’ll take one of each please.’

Joking aside, it’s great to hear other people’s experiences with both brands. I’ve found the comments from the last 10 years interesting and enlightening. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Kamakas should never be judged with their stock strings.

+1.
It seems like enough people agree that when sound samples are posted, it should be with stock strings, and another sample with something else.

Kamakas should never be judged with their stock strings.

I agree, however you have to put some blame on Kamaka for using them as their stock strings. I'm not sure if it is to cut costs or whatever, but they do not sound good.

I say, get one of each!

I have a Koaloha tenor and like it a lot.

The Koaloha is strung low G and I’d like a tenor that’s running a high G. I am now in the process to adding a Kamaka tenor to my herd. Then no problem about which to buy. Get one of each and play ‘em according to your mood and the music you dig.

I agree, however you have to put some blame on Kamaka for using them as their stock strings. I'm not sure if it is to cut costs or whatever, but they do not sound good.
I like Kamaka strings so much that I put them on my Martin. I used to not like them but grew to appreciate them more every time I play on them. I don’t think the Kamaka string are inferior but rather a different sound that is more rounded and balanced. I admit it’s relatively harder to press down compared to fluorocarbon and I’m okay with it cos I could tease out many subtle beautiful notes out of the same chord. In my personal opinion, a fluorocarbon is more of a one or zero kind of sound. So I think the Kamaka strings are great for finger style. Well try the Kamaka with stock strings on a quiet day and maybe you will be converted as I have. Just my 2 cents and not out to offend anyone.

I once had a pretty 2002 Kamaka tenor, which I decided was a bit heavy and over-built...... until I put a set of Worth "Heavy" strings on it.
WOW, did that thing come alive! It sounded fantastic.

Lookswise (if that matters to you), they are such different creatures.
The wood set and finish on the Kamaka was way prettier than the 2007 Koaloha concert I had at the same time.

The Koaloha sounded really good, but I found I needed to warm up that crystaline sound with a set of Worth Browns.
I never attached to the headstock or the thick gloss finish and ended up selling.

Ko'Aloha ukulele's have just a butt-joint gluing the neck to the body with no dowels or screws. All other K brands use either a biscuit joint or some sort of dovetail for the neck joint. I know there's not a lot of tension on ukulele necks, but this really worries me and why I haven't thus far purchased a Ko'Aloha ukulele. Maybe my worries are unfounded, but I know that neck joint is paramount in sound and stability for the life of the ukulele.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Not true regarding my KoAloha. It has a bolt/adjustment connecting the body to the neck.

Ko'Aloha ukulele's have just a butt-joint gluing the neck to the body with no dowels or screws. All other K brands use either a biscuit joint or some sort of dovetail for the neck joint. I know there's not a lot of tension on ukulele necks, but this really worries me and why I haven't thus far purchased a Ko'Aloha ukulele. Maybe my worries are unfounded, but I know that neck joint is paramount in sound and stability for the life of the ukulele.

Jim

Not true regarding my KoAloha. It has a bolt/adjustment connecting the body to the neck.

At last year's factory tour they just glued the necks on without any dowels, dovetail, or mortise/tenon. And I agree that this can be a huge concern, but I bought a 2000 vintage anyway, because I trust their warranty and reputation. However, they change their designs and approaches continuously, and it is possible that they had prototypes with other joints or even made a whole bunch with bolts. There is no evidence on my 2000 that it has a special joint.

Jim

Slade said:

Slade, I was so concerned when I was shopping for a K brand ukulele, I called the KoAloha factory and ask them specifically about the neck joint and was told, this was about a year ago, but it was just a butt joint that was glued and did NOT have a screw, dowel or anything other than the glued butt joint holding the neck to the body. Now, they might've decided to change, but I'm just relaying what the factory told me directly. I didn't purchase one because of it.

Jim

Last edited:
Mine was built in 2018. I never held/played any other KoAloha so I have nothing to compare it to. But it does have a bolt.

Slade, what kind of KoAloha is yours? I see a shaped top brace and also a rosette, so it's definitely not their "regular" model, right?

IMHO: I don't think that KoAloha would be able to sustain a "Better Than Rain" warranty if their necks were failing because of a poor method of attachment.

For the record, my 2017 KTM-00 does not have a bolt for the neck.

Top Bottom