Tangi collection (4) $1500

Psych1

Reaction score
Breaking up large estate collection. These are 4 of the best. All custom ordered and hand made by Tangi - no Vietnam-made imports. Well-maintained, no cracks, always humidified. L to R, 1 of 30 finest koa “Kawika” copy, koa soprano, mahogany double puka concert, koa double puka tenor.

$1500 for all 4. Firm price.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 112
Not set up to record. Some on youtube. Lots of reviews here and on net.

A nice collection. I have had a few that I assumed were Asian-made Tangi's. How does one tell the difference between Ed Bacani-made, and Asian-made?

A nice collection. I have had a few that I assumed were Asian-made Tangi's. How does one tell the difference between Ed Bacani-made, and Asian-made?

Ed Bacani (EBB Nice Ukes) and Tangi both make/made ukes in Hawaii. Neither builder has had Asian imports and as far as I know, have no connection to each other.

Tangi made some wonderful ukes. But, his reputation took a big hit because he began selling some Vietnam-made ukes in his shop. They were good well-made ukes but not the high quality ones that Tangi made himself. (There are a few different stories about why he did that, some involving his father). All the double-puka models were made by Tangi,as was the King David series that he copied from the one in the Bishop Museum. The soprano here was a private custom special order.

Most of the Vietnamese-made ukes didn't have the Tangi logo burned inside but apparently some did. So, sometimes it is hard to know for sure unless you already know for sure. Tangi is still around, although retired from making ukes. He will verify which is which.

I've had a few requests like this plus consignment offers from music shops. It's complicated. This is part of an estate liquidation and I just offered to help out. Right now, the 4 are packaged and sealed together. It is really a great deal - buy 4 and sell 3 if there is one you want. Maybe, if the lot doesn't sell soon, I could break it up.

Top Bottom