Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Lots of Ukes Regularly

Talking Playing Lots of Ukes Regularly

Back-story:
    I have enough trouble making time for a concert uke and an acoustic guitar. I have a tenor that's going through some stuff and trying to choose a tuning. When that comes together, I'll be finding time for that one as well.

The question is, how do you manage to play all your ukes and/or other instruments regularly? And what do you consider "regular play"?

I guess my ideal is daily, and I feel bad that even with this small number of instruments, I don't pull that off. I've half a mind to make a seating chart: you sit here and this is your time, etc. But I don't work like that. Problem is, I don't know how I *do* work either.

Ideas, feedback and good-natured ramblings welcome!
    Thanks!

I've got a different uke in my family room, living room, and little office space in the house. Basically, whenever the spirit moves me, I just grab whatever happens to be by me. In this case, I've got a mya moe, stansell, and mainland that all get decent radio play. Based on strum marks though, you can tell my stansell gets the most play by far.

The more I think about it, I think two is honestly plenty, one hi g and one low g. Three for me is definitely pushing it, I would say my playing ratio is 80-10-10 with the stansell being the winner. Maybe it's like Star Wars Sith Lords, there can only be two, and more than two just leads to infighting.

I don't worry about treating them fairly. I play what I feel like depending upon how my hands feel and what music I am playing. If I see that a uke is sitting and not getting played for several months eventually I sell it.

Don't forget this is all meant to be fun. Don't make it a chore. Play them when you feel like it and if you don't, then don't worry about it. And that's coming from an ukulele tutor. Enjoy it!

I only have one I don't play, I have it set up wrong. I'll probably sell it. I don't feel sorry for it. I used it for work, but since hospice made me quit, it's been my "experimentation" uke...
    The other two get played about equally, depending on where I am and what songs I am doing. They each get way more play than my piano.
    My didgeridoo is gonna get some play, I'm learning circular breathing....whew, you can get a headache doing those lessons too long!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

You do not have a duty to your instruments.

If I were a mechanic, I wouldn't feel the need to use each wrench in turn. I would use the right one in the right moment.
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

I've been through sixteen ukes in the last two years, now down to four. I was pretty diligent about rotating them daily at any time, and for the twice a week hour sessions with my uke group. With four, I was able to play each much more regularly, but I've been playing u-bass so much more now, that I've been neglecting the ukes. Made a point of picking up the ukes this week to practice "Sway" and duet with my harmonica friend. The Kala is my go-to for gigs, volume and sustain, the custom gypsy for making an impression visually, the Uku and custom mandolele for fun.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 07-26-2015 at 01:05 PM.

I have 6 ukes in rotation at a time, all hanging at arms length behind me when I sit at my desk, and with them an Ami nylon cedar parlor guitar.

I used to be able to get in 90 mins of play per day, now it's more like 30-45 mins, and typically right after dinner, that I retreat into my own little musical world. That seems to have become my 'music time'.

Aside from that, since they are all so near to me, I pick one up whenever the mood strikes, and play until I feel satisfied (maybe like 20 mins or so, a few times per day).

The reason for the ONLY 6 ukes at a time, and not the other 10 (or 11, or 12, I lose count ha ha) is because I do not have space to keep them all out at once. The other 10 are in cases with home-made humidifiers (foam sponge in pill-bottle full-o-holes), so far it's been an average 2-week rotation, with two that never get put away (the Koa tenor Fluke and Sojing tenor electric 'silent' uke), so I guess these are the 'keepers'.

However, there have been stretches of 2-3 days when I can not play due to time constraints with 'real life' (Oh The Blasphemy!!!) and during those times I get very anxious and suffer withdrawal, and I tend to get arthritis pain in my hands, which does NOT occur at ALL when I am playing every day. So the playing is also a form of physical therapy for my hands - as they say, "Use it or lose it!"
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
    You do not have a duty to your instruments.

If I were a mechanic, I wouldn't feel the need to use each wrench in turn. I would use the right one in the right moment.
    Great points about not having a duty/obligation to them and using the right tools for the job. But, this must be my mama talkin', if you have 'em, you'd better use 'em, otherwise get rid of them. May the uke police not come snatch my Mainland because I already know it will be more guitar than uke this week.

I think one uke, one guitar must be my max. That's not a bad thing, but it comes as a surprise. I love the sound and experience of playing different ukes. But "mine" I guess is just one. Oh here's an idea, a uke library! Check one out and return it when the card says, or renew it!

I think Booli makes a very good point here. The key is access, get setup so you are able to grab a ukulele or guitar without any hassles at all. Once you are organised in this way it will be far more enjoyable and productive.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Thread Information