Tenor Ukes under $400

Reaction score
Hey there guys! So about a year ago I picked up my first uke, a classic Kala Soprano mahogany. My second uke is the lovely Ohana zebra wood concert uke which I absolutely adore because of it's beautiful wood grain and bright, happy sound. Now I'm thinking about getting my first tenor uke. What are your guys' recommendations? Back when I was looking for a concert uke I bought a Kala PWC and loved the warm mellow tone; unfortunately the set up was unbearable so I returned it for the Ohana. Would the Kala PWT be a good option? The gretch g9121 also managed to catch my eye, what are your thoughts between these two ukes? I really like the cutaway style. Feel free to throw in your own personal favourites for this price range. Thanks in advance!

Mainland Mahogany tenor. It sounds wonderful.

I had the Gretsch G9121 ACE, the second uke I bought about 2 years ago, changed the strings to Worth CT, which did help it. Later I bought a Kala KAATG-CTP-CE that sounded and felt that much better even with the stock Nylguts. Eventually I sold the Gretsch and now the Kala is my go-to uke.

Are you near any music shops where you can play 'ukes and see what sings to you?

Last edited:
Pono MT!!!!! I have the Pono mahogony baritone and it's a joy to play and hear. I'm sure the tenor version will be just as sweet. Google Hawaii Music Supply and read the views of the Pono MT.

Can't go wrong with a Mainland! I now have three. Two pineapples and a Cedar tenor. excellent build and value. And, if you don't like it for whatever reason, it will likely sell very quickly on UU :)

Pretty much any wood that is commonly used has a good tone. The question is about its looks. I prefer lacewood or flamed okume, but mango has good tone. I have one made out of basswood, which is as plain grained as I think wood can be. But playing with my eyes closed, it's hard to tell one from the other. It is also a cutaway electric. I wil send you a PM.

Check out the mango ukes at Hawaiian Music Supply: there are sound clips with most of the listings, so you can get a good idea of the mango tone. I finally bit the bullet and sprung for a mango uke (actually two—I'll sell whichever I like less—but they haven't arrived yet). Mango is often described as blending the warmth of mahogany with the brightness and clarity of acacia. (Of course, the quintessential topwood for brightness and clarity is spruce, with cedar being a warmer alternative.)

Bear in mind, these descriptions are based on seasoned instruments, while comparative and review clips are generally of spanking new instruments. I give a new instrument at least a six months' chance before deciding whether to keep it, and some of my ukes have taken a couple years before they really sang (that includes the laminates, which have proven surprising over the long run, given the common lore about them.) A change of strings can also make a dramatic improvement, either bringing out the best tone or muting less desirable characteristics.

Here's a clip that contrasts the OU7T mango uke with koa and acacia ones (Oscar Schmidt and Kala).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_oR9me_1P0
It doesn't provide the best sampling of the tone, but the player's comments may be valuable to you. I think the gloss finish (which tends to be a bit thick on the OSs) may account for some of the volume inhibition.

Note that the OU7 is all-laminate, and probably not mango in all plies (laminates seldom use the same wood for all plies when the outer ply is of a relatively expensive type), so don't expect full mango tone. The Kala being compared is all-solid.

Although this clip is of a Lanikai, it is probably more representative of the laminate mango tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjmkvCWGkU

Unfortunately the Hawaiian music supply isn't an option when I'm trying to keep the prices moderate. With the Canadian dollar in the toilette, my options are limited.

What would you all recommend between the Kala and the Grestch? Do you guys know of any others right around that $200-300 area?

Don't rule out the KPK ukes. They are solid wood and the most expensive is all Acacia with maple or rosewood binding, @ $270.00

I have an Acacia Pineapple and Acacia Tenor and they are absolutely lovely. Only thing I needed to do was lower the action a bit more, but that's easy with the bone saddle (a $10.00 option).

My stepdaughter is a Newbie and bought a KPK mahogany concert & it sounds great.

There are LOTS of other good choices out there for under $400.00, though.

bobinde

If buying two and taking a loose on one is cheaper that buying just one that is properly setup I'd be really amazed... The best of the two still might need to be professionally setup so that's still going to cost more or worse yet they both might be bad instruments which HMS simply weeds out before the do the setup.

Top Bottom