Baritone ukelele strings

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a favilla Bari and am looking for a good set of linear tuning DGBE strings. I like wound D and G and fluorocarbon B and E. But it would be nice if the D and G were not too noisy.

I currently have Martin strings but I think there are probably better options out there. By the way, every time I buy Martin strings they are already a bit discolored (partially oxidized I think). Is that normal? I have purchased them from different sources. They are so cheap it is tough to complain but I am still curious. Thanks.

I've been using the D'addario titaniums for a long time now and they are less prone to that oxidation but the wounds are squeaky. I tried redpauls recommendation of using strings from a classical guitar set and they work great. You can find them for around the same cost or less and they have some with coated wounds to help them last longer and squeak less.

Here are the diameters to match a baritone set
.028(E) .033(B) .030W(G) .035W(D) (DiAddario T2 Bari Uke Set)
.028(E) .032(B) .030W(D) .036W(A) (From any classical guitar set)
Give it a try!

I have been playing Living Waters, an all unwound set, very balanced and squeakless.
Comes in linear or reentrant tuning.

Take a look at Southcoast uke strings. On my MyaMoe baritone, I have their Heavy Gauge Linear Set with Smooth Wound Bases....of course tuned DGBE. No squeaks, great strings. Also good options for Bb tuning sets.

Lots of folks here prefer Southcoast strings. They have some relatively new squeekless wound strings as well. They are custom strings selected specifically for the baritone ukulele scale length compared to most other sets that are more generic.

for some reason I don't mind the squeaks. It definitely makes the bari have an even more different sound from a normal ukulele. After playing with some worth browns for a while (which I don't suggest for bari), I put the stock aquilas back on. I'm not sure how the other strings compare but I do notice the aquila wounds are showing wear at the frets. More a problem with the aquilas?

Hey all. I have a favilla Bari and am looking for a good set of linear tuning DGBE strings. I like wound D and G and fluorocarbon B and E. But it would be nice if the D and G were not too noisy.

I currently have Martin strings but I think there are probably better options out there. By the way, every time I buy Martin strings they are already a bit discolored (partially oxidized I think). Is that normal? I have purchased them from different sources. They are so cheap it is tough to complain but I am still curious. Thanks.
I use the martins on mine that's tuned DGBE. and yea, the wound ones come tarnished. easy enough to polish,just hit it with some fine sandpaper or just play the heck out of it, fingers get a little dark though. I think they sound great and are cheap and easily available.

Top Bottom