Favorite Jazz Uke players? Chord melody style vs. single line soloing?

AcousticTones

Reaction score
Good morning fellow jazzers :)

This morning I have been watching videos of Benny Chong, Abe Lagrimas Jr, and wondering who some of you may enjoy or be inspired by.

And any favorite Jazz Uke books could be added as well if anyone really felt that they were "must-have" books :)

Paul Hemmings. BTW, if you haven't heard his latest CD (The Blues and The Abstract Uke), give it a listen. To my ears, best integration of uke with other instruments I've heard.

I really enjoy listening to jazz uke. Artists whose music I enjoy include Abe Lagrimas jr, Gerald Ross, Glen Rose, Sarah Maisel, Paul Hemmings Uketet, Kris Fuchigami, Bill Tapia and Ken Middleton.
Ukulele Hunt often posts uke vids from lesser known (to me) artists that I really enjoy. A few faves are below.

As for books I like Glen Rose's Jazzy Ukulele and Bossa Nova Series. They're a bit beyond my current ability but I'll get there soon enough.

Veronica and the Red Wine Serenaders

Takashi Nakamura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS59Yb8Olxc&list=PLS-Vf0Hg4Z4ZAfza2HAoWfVjyrlZ5-swD&index=59

Sarah King and the Smoke Rings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIq61HWViXE&list=PLS-Vf0Hg4Z4ZAfza2HAoWfVjyrlZ5-swD&index=82

All good suggestions... But a dyed in the wool Jazz Cat can be very particular about what Jazz "is."

True jazz is improvisational at its core, so someone who plays "jazzy" arrangements is very nice, but if they can't hold their own on the bandstand, then anointing them as Jazz Musicians is not going to be a unanimous decision.

Abe Lagrimas, Benny Chong and Gerald Ross fit in that category for me. Not to say that others are not excellent players - but I don't have enough information to categorize them as Jazz Musicians in my mind.

I hope I don't come across as snotty...

Edit: I wasn't too familiar with Paul Hemming. Having just watched some of his videos on YouTube, I think that I can safely add him to my list.

Last edited:
Lyle Ritz.
Kimo plays great jazz.

As far as I'm concerned, every artist mentioned in the thread so far has a connection to jazz. I agree with Wicked that working on the bandstand shows off unique chops, but that wouldn't negate, for me, the jazz-oriented player who simply plays and records alone. I respectfully submit Nakamura Takashi to be included in our imaginary list.

I always thought James Hill's jazz touch is great. Man With A Love Song has some great original jazz tunes. That said, I've only really seen him rip solos in the style in a classroom setting. It's pretty fantastic.

I agree with Janeray about Ohta-san. His albums Cool Touch and I Wish You Love are jazz albums.

Awesome replies! Love it. Some I know and totally looking forward to number of them that I'd never heard of. Again I say thanks :cool:

Azo Bell and Lyle Ritz are my favourite jazz players on uke but like AcousticTones above, I'm also grateful for all the names I've yet to discover.

I like all of the musicians listed and would like to add Sarah Maisel ... have had a few lessons with her ... she is great.

I have been working with Glen Rose's books and they are very good.

Top Bottom