Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yet another "help a beginner pick a uke" thread

Default yet another "help a beginner pick a uke" thread

hello ukuleleunderground.com forums!
    sorry for making another one of these threads.. i didn't want to hijack someone else's.
    anyway, i am interested in purchasing a soprano or preferably concert sized uke.
    i've been self teaching myself to play the guitar but i just love the sound a ukulele brings so i'm hoping to purchase one
    i've done a fair amount of research and shopping through MGM, elderly, etc. and i have these 3 ukes as choices so far.. i'm trying not to spend over $200 shipped

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SK25.htm
    http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CK25.htm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-BRAND-KA-C-...QQcmdZViewItem

could you guys give me some advice or some suggestions on which one to purchase?
    feel free to suggest some other ukes!
    thanks a lot!

I have the 3rd one on your list and it's a great uke. Comes with a case, chord book, and pitch pipe as well. MGM sets them up and it comes good to go. I'd recommend it to anything looking to buy a uke in that price range. It sounds pretty darn good.

My 1st Ukulele was also the KA-C. Love it. really easy to play. Sounds so much better when I switched over to Aquilas. I personally havent played either of the 1st two but I can Vouch for the Kala. Plus you really cant go wrong with MGM. I havent bought anything off him but he comes very highly recommended here in the Forums

Good luck
    generem ( je ne rem )

YT Channel

Unfortunately, you have cornered yourself into a win/win/win scenario. You really can't go wrong in this situation. ...BUT:

http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/...hogany-concert

If you are going to spend that much money for a laminate - you should really consider the mainland Uke. A solid wood - tremendous sound, tremendous craftsmanship, great uke for the money.

thanks for the input about the Kala KA-C! i ended up purchasing that uke along with Aquila strings and a set up from a webstore for 105 shipped! free bag and tuner included
    it was a hard choice, but the low price got the best of me... i haven't even received the uke yet and i want to purchase another! lol

Funhop, where did you make that purchase? I'm interested in the KA-C as well, im deciding between that and the KA-S. Can't make up my mind for which is best for beginner.

Thumbs up The Ohanas are solid not laminate....

Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    If you are going to spend that much money for a laminate - you should really consider the mainland Uke. A solid wood - tremendous sound, tremendous craftsmanship, great uke for the money.
    I would have gone for one of the Ohanas.
    Both the Ohana ukes, CK-25 and SK-25 are all solid mahogany, top, back and sides, not laminate. I have bought 2 Ohana ukes so far and have found them to be outstanding value instruments. I'm in the market for another!

Quote Originally Posted by raypierre View Post
    I would have gone for one of the Ohanas.
    Both the Ohana ukes, CK-25 and SK-25 are all solid mahogany, top, back and sides, not laminate. I have bought 2 Ohana ukes so far and have found them to be outstanding value instruments. I'm in the market for another!
    What sizes do you have and what size are you shopping for currently?

/UAS by proxy...
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

get a mainland, there in your price range and they are amazing

Thread Information