1930 Weissenborn No. 1 Koa Soprano Ukulele

Tigershark

Reaction score
Super rare Koa ukulele made in Los Angeles in the late 1920's or early 1930's by Hermann Weissenborn. Weissenborn is famous for his Koa acoustic Hawaiian guitars that are still collected and played today, but he only built very few ukuleles. The Weissenborn stamp is under the Miami label, and the ukulele includes a vintage suicide case.

I bought this gorgeous uke from Chuck "Frets" Fayne, a well known author & collector. The condition is beautiful and original with no cracks. You can see how the Koa glows in the light, the finish is lovely and the wood has some figure.

This is a "No. 1" according to the catalog, or Style 1 as most people would say. Sounds great, loud and powerful, Chuck described it as "a real barker".

$995 plus actual shipping cost. Contact me at info@ditson-ukulele.com for more pictures, or check this link:

http://ditson-ukulele.com/weissenborn-style-1-ukulele-for-sale/

DSC_1252-682x1030.jpg

DSC_0969-682x1030.jpg

DSC_1251-1030x682.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mate. Interested. Do you know whether or not Chuck may have re-glued the bridge at some point?

Hi mate. Interested. Do you know whether or not Chuck may have re-glued the bridge at some point?

He told me no repairs on this one. It doesn't look reglued either. The whole instrument is very clean.

One of the cool things about is that the figure matches on the top and back, they appear to be consecutive cuts.

I do have an insert for the soundhole, I probably should have put it in there for the photos :)

DSC_1254-682x1030.jpg

I'm not usually even remotely interested in vintage ukes, but I wish I had the money for this one. It might be because it's a Weissenborn, and not the usual Martin, K brand etc.

Beautiful little fella :)

Top Bottom