Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a 'set up'?

Default What is a 'set up'?

When talking about buying a Ukulele a lot of people said about the importance of having the instrument 'set up' by the shop? Well I found a video which shows a set up by Hawaii Music Supply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elfo9xHPhZE

I wondered if this is a standard that stores use, or is it different depending on where it comes from. I never reaslised it went into so much, I thought it was just tuning the strings properly.

That should be the standard, but more often than not, isn't. At a very minimum, the nut slot depth and saddle height should be checked. Most shops ship stuff out the same way it came in.

Typical situation.

You: I'd like that uke.

Store: Sure. That's a display...lemme grab you a fresh one from the back room.

(Pulls one from a foreign shipping box, brings it out front, hands it to you).

You (after ten strums): Great. I'll take it. Thank you.

Store: No problem. And don't forget, if you run into any issues at all, just contact the Ace Hole Uke Co. of Shanghai...number's in the gig bag. That baby has an "almost as good as a rainy day" warranty. At least 90 days, as I recall. Or was that their accordions? Anyhow.

You: Cool beans!

Store: You come again now when you get into harmonicas or want a drum kit, okay?

You: Okay. Promise I'll come back.

Store: Thanks for supporting your mom-and-pop brick-n-mortar store. You have a nice life now, y' hear.

(Later that night: Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.).

You (hollering): For crying out loud! Hey, honey! Does Verizon charge us extra if I call China?!
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-24-2015 at 11:29 PM.

It is very rare that a retail music store will give you that kind of setup. You have a few uke stores in "London'ish" that will and a few of your neighbors will tell you where as soon as they see your post.

Phil, yes I've already got two really good shop names (Southern Ukulele Store, and Omega). I'm about an hour or so away from Southern, so I hope to get there one day and drool over all their Ukuleles.

The son of the owners of Omega is/was a member on here. Try searching for mentions of "omega"

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Typical situation.

You: I'd like that uke.

Store: Sure. That's a display...lemme grab you a fresh one from the back room.

(Pulls one from a foreign shipping box, brings it out front, hands it to you).

You (after ten strums): Great. I'll take it. Thank you.

Store: No problem. And don't forget, if you run into any issues at all, just contact the Ace Hole Uke Co. of Shanghai...number's in the gig bag. That baby has an "almost as good as a rainy day" warranty. At least 90 days, as I recall. Or was that their accordions? Anyhow.

You: Cool beans!

Store: You come again now when you get into harmonicas or want a drum kit, okay?

You: Okay. Promise I'll come back.

Store: Thanks for supporting your mom-and-pop brick-n-mortar store. You have a nice life now, y' hear.

(Later that night: Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.).

You (hollering): For crying out loud! Hey, honey! Does Verizon charge us extra if I call China?!

coolkayaker! great stuff! spot on.

Say, did you do a video about Mt. Monadnock? We were planning to go there in Oct., but my wife's foot's not working well, so it's next year. Instead, perhaps Apostle Island.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Purdy Bear
    Check out the SUS website, they do workshop and shows by some great players. They are free of charge, Del Rey Has been, so has Aaron Keim, and even Aldrine off here has been and provided a workshop and show.
    Adam Franklin in on in a couple of weeks, he's a great Blues and reso player, and normally supports Del Rey when she is in the UK. Scrub that, just checked, he and Del are performing on Saturday 12th 14.00 to 16.00. You will not get a better opportunity to see such great players close up without charge.
    So go then, and drool over the ukes in store.
    Not a better day out to be had in the Bournmouth area!

h

I do intend to go to SUS, but it would have to be by train as I'm not allowed to drive at the moment (panic attacks). It would also mean going up into London to get a connecting train to Bournmouth which my health wont allow at the moment. I've got to nag some relatives who can drive, but it is doubtful they would be forthcoming.

I wonder if you live near enough to any of our other UK members, who might be interested in a trip to SUS in exchange for companionship and petrol money?

Maybe we should have a UK members group on UU.

Thread Information