Free Video Editing Software for PC (PowerDirector 12 LE) - today only

UkeCan1

Reaction score
I just came across this by accident while downloading something else ... it is free for the next 12 hours - from a site that offers daily software giveaways. Today's just happened to be video editing software, which I happened to be about to investigate anyway!

It's CyberLink PowerDirector 12 LE (which I imagine stands for Limited Edition) ... it's not the full PowerDirector software, and the latest version is 13.

But it's free ... so I am checking it out now. If you, like me, have been looking for some better video editing capabilities for PC, this looks worth checking out.

It, not surprisingly, comes with a link to buy the full upgraded PD 13 ... and offers what looks to be a good discount for three different packages of that.

I am going to go play with it now ... will report back.

I did see that has won an award from PC Magazine for best video editing software for six years running ... so if you don't already have something better (like a Mac :)), it certainly looks worth trying.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/powerdirector-12-le-2

thanks for the lead. Looks like there is another 6.5 or so hours left in the deal and the program must be installed and registered before the deadline. It is a long installation so don't wait until the last moment friends.

Mine installed pretty quick ... probably depends a lot on your download speeds. Well, the freebie is over now. I did take advantage of their very good deal to buy the upgrade to PD 13 Ultra for $50. Even without the sale you can get it for not too much more than that. I'll report back when I've had a chance to put it through its paces. Hopefully you'll see an obvious change in my Seasons videos soon.

I like the YouTube free editing software. Have you tried it, Wendy? The one built right into the upload video part of YouTube. What do you think? Thanks.

I like the YouTube free editing software. Have you tried it, Wendy? The one built right into the upload video part of YouTube. What do you think? Thanks.

I have used it, and I like it. It's simple and works well for basic edits, and is right there. My main issue with it, and the reason I stopped using it is, it messes with your thumbnail! The few times I tried it, YT changed my thumbnail to a really hideous one, and then did not allow me to change it. Those are still there. So I got burned and stopped editing videos on YT.

I s'pose one day once I master custom thumbnails that won't matter any more, but for now.... PITA.

Otherwise, it's a really nice feature! (Just don't ever allow YT to "stabilize" your video ... unless you want to look like a space alien and want your viewers to get seasick.)

Last edited:
I see, I didn't know that about the thumbnail hiccup in the YT editor. That would be annoying, yes. I seemed to be able to work around it...or it wasn't an issue, it seems, back when I used to use that innate software. Sounds like Google utube has some software mending to do.

I see, I didn't know that about the thumbnail hiccup in the YT editor. That would be annoying, yes. I seemed to be able to work around it...or it wasn't an issue, it seems, back when I used to use that innate software. Sounds like Google utube has some software mending to do.

Or maybe you just look awesome in all your thumbnails. :)

Or maybe you just look awesome in all your thumbnails. :)

Or, another way, equally bad in all of them. lol You, on the other hand, look great and have nothing to worry about (I'm not kidding :rolleyes:)

Wendy, when I search youtube for this, "how to select thumbnail on youtube editor", I see tons of video explanations. If the pesky thymbnail is the sole reason that you're not using YT editor, maybe there's a fix. If there are other reasons, then it's a non-starter.

Last edited:
Or, another way, equally bad in all of them. lol You, on the other hand, look great and have nothing to worry about (I'm not kidding :rolleyes:)

Wendy, when I search youtube for this, "how to select thumbnail on youtube editor", I see tons of video explanations. If the pesky thymbnail is the sole reason that you're not using YT editor, maybe there's a fix. If there are other reasons, then it's a non-starter.

Aw, thank you. I am happier with some of my thumbnails than others. So long as I remember to smile through most of a video, there is usually at least one good one of the three YT presents.

Yeah, there's a solution, but I have to learn it. Working on learning my new video editing software next!

I forgot to mention here ... I did end up going for the upgrade to PowerDirector 13 Ultra for $49.99 - it does a lot more than the freebie, comes very highly recommended (most seem to agree , PD is by far the best software for PC), and seemed worth the relatively low price. So that's my first technology project.

If you can recommend a quick way to grab a selected shot from a video and save it as a thumbnail though, I am all ears!

I've been using Power Director for over a year now, and I love it. I continue to learn new things....I think it is very versatile, but it does seem to have a steep learning curve for some of the features.

Top Bottom