Mono M80 vs Reunion Blues Continental

stevejfc

Reaction score
Broke a latch on my Ko'olau hard case, and am looking for a traveling case. I air travel internationally twice a year, and drive Massachusetts to Florida and back every year. Both cases seem to be highly rated, but comparison threads here are 3-4 years old. Costs are somewhat similar, with the RB priceing around $30 more than the Mono. Any thoughts, comments, recommendations from current or past owners?

I owned an RB Continental for a time........very well built and pretty serious protection for a gig bag-style case. I bought it for a Collings concert ukulele I traded away and dumped the RB case sometime later as it was a bit bulky for toting a soprano (though it did hold it well enough). Lightweight, well made case, I'd say......no problems from my perspective. No experience with the M80.........................

I own an M80. I've travelled with it on a plane to from California to Indiana for UWC twice now and to Hawaii twice, and it's protected the uke just fine. It's pretty lightweight and it's not bulky at all.

I'd say if you want something that you can easily carry that protects well enough, the M80 is pretty good. I don't care for the single over the shoulder design but hey, it takes less space than backpack style straps.

If you want to have more piece of mind that your uke will be protected, go with a Reunion Blues or Fusion. They are sturdier bags.

I'm good with my Koaloha in the M80, but I'm not sure I'd put my Kinnard in it though. I think I'd be more paranoid and want the extra protection which doesn't make a lot of sense as a more expensive uke isn't any more likely to get damaged...

I'm with you. No chance the MBU is traveling in either bag.............I usually go with my Kanilea
I own an M80. I've travelled with it on a plane to from California to Indiana for UWC twice now and to Hawaii twice, and it's protected the uke just fine. It's pretty lightweight and it's not bulky at all.

I'd say if you want something that you can easily carry that protects well enough, the M80 is pretty good. I don't care for the single over the shoulder design but hey, it takes less space than backpack style straps.

If you want to have more piece of mind that your uke will be protected, go with a Reunion Blues or Fusion. They are sturdier bags.

I'm good with my Koaloha in the M80, but I'm not sure I'd put my Kinnard in it though. I think I'd be more paranoid and want the extra protection which doesn't make a lot of sense as a more expensive uke isn't any more likely to get damaged...

Thanks Mickey,
Ughh! I guess 3 or 4 stories would kill most any ukes. Funny, no tests with them getting bumped or dropped hard on their edges............which we can assume would be the more common accident. Guess we have to wait for the Consumer Reports Uke case issue!!
I have no experience with the M80, but these videos are pretty fun/scary to watch about the RB - First one is from Reunion Blues, second from an independent guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1q7jdspdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bcD8zxfos

I do not have any personal experience with either bag, that being said...
I work in a 5000 seat music venue. This year I have seen substantially more Mono bags than any other soft bag. Please note I am speaking of the M80 guitar bags, both electric and acoustic. I have spoken to a couple of guitar techs about Mono and they say nice things about them.
I have not seen the M80 ukulele bag in the flesh.
'Hope this helps.

I've owned both cases and I prefer the Access gigbag. I'm not sure if it's specifically for ukulele or it's a mandolin case that fits ukulele. The reason I like the access bag is because the shoulder straps are large enough for my size (6'2" and pretty a girthy 240lbs), the hardware and zippers are very rugged, and it has grabs front and back that are positioned perfectly for ease of use. It has more protection that the M80 but maybe not as much as the RB and it is much less bulky than the RB.

I also have a Fusion Limited Edition and I prefer the Access gigbag over that too. I carry my CR in the Access and I liked it so much I bought another for a Kamaka.

Full disclosure: I despise, heavy, bulky cases. I have a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Armitage case. Truly beautiful and well-constructed. It weighs 9 lbs. Literally. Never, ever, ever use it.

Directly answering your question, I have two M80's (concert and tenor) and love them. Perfect for 'round town and have also travelled on planes with them as carry-ons. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. Originally wanted the RB but upon seeing it in person, I found it way too bulky for my liking.

I agree with @nondam; I recently bought a Crossrock 1000 for my Kinnard -- I love this case for its lightness, slimness and protection. The M80 is more comfortable to carry, but the Crossrock is better protection albeit at a cost (more expensive).

I have a Mono M80 and am satisfied with it. I've traveled with it on an airplane twice and one of the times to Hawaii. The RB Continental is way too bulky for my needs. It took up part of my bedroom.

By no means am I an expert, but I went with the M80 after trying a cheaper gig bag and like it a lot. Lots of thoughtful touches, and thick padding. I also like the neck lock, the exterior pocket holds strings, string winder, etc. I'll wait until I (if ever) get a hard case, but I have a hard time envisioning that the M80 is worse for anything short of being run over. I did take some black gaffer tape to their way too prominent and shiny logo however.

I've used an M80 for a tenor and liked it fine until I put stuff in the front pocket. That put pressure on the bridge and soundboard of my ukulele. Now I use this Crossrock hybrid case. It comes with a single strap, but it has the D rings to accommodate backpack straps.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Top Bottom