Season 185 - The Family Act

Thanks Brian

pabrizzer - I hate to admit that I wasn't aware of JD until I looked for info about the season. I should've been since he wrote this song about me ;-) This week is going to be an education for sure. Thanks for this. Its great!

Now Im off to bed. See you all later!

Last edited:
The video messed up again I think(didn't play right in quicktime but did on the site for me)?, but the music plays fine and the slideshow starts in at about 35 seconds. Pictured are a couple of my now dead cats, my ex and my neice in front of Casa Bonita, and pictures of my son growing up. the slideshow would have been longer if I had more pictures sent from my ex...

I might have to keep doing instrumentals. I have a cold that went straight for my throat. I can barely talk right now. Cool theme, though!

Get well soon, Alan! Summer colds are not fun.

Prizes there will be, but it hasn't hit me yet what that will be. Any good ideas? Maybe Ill send over Donny to sing Puppy Love :love:
please send david cassidy to me AT ONCE

regardless of who wins this week!

and you KNOW i want the chance to win one of those fancy waistcoats you made! but if you want a family connection you could give away cd's of some of the famous family groups. or that book, "families and how to survive them"! ;)

ok here is a song by brother and sister act the carpenters

goodbye to love

This is,"Yes Sir That's My Baby," a song my dad used to sing around the house

The Newman family is one of the most remarkable in all of music. Alfred Newman, born in 1900, scored over 200 movies including The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Mark of Zorro, All About Eve, and Airplane! His brother Lionel Newman scored dozens of films, and conducted hundreds of others. His sons David and Thomas and his daughter Maria are famous composers, and his nephew Randy has won two Academy Awards as well as having a long list of popular albums. This is an early Randy Newman song.

I might have to keep doing instrumentals. I have a cold that went straight for my throat. I can barely talk right now. Cool theme, though!

Keep doing instrumentals. I see no reason why you couldn't find plenty to do over here with instrumentals from both ideas. Instrumentals are more than welcome here this week:)

If I can create a little chaos here (or expand the potential range of entries -- you be the judge):

Based on Linda's guidelines, The Who, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin music should qualify for the Season.

Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey has been The Who's tour drummer for at least a decade, and was in Ringo's All Starr Band before that. In addition, Pete Townshend's brother Simon has played with Pete and The Who for a couple of decades, at least. (Beatles, check. Who, check.)

Finally, (IIRC) John Bonham's son Jason has sat in for his dad in every Led Zep reunion with the exception of Live Aid.

So, rock on !!

We are off to a great start. Thanks to you people I am going to learn a lot this week:)

BuddyJesusSmokes - Oh this is just perfect. I loved the slide show. The pictures are perfect and so adorable. What a perfect song for this season. This is a very thoughtful little video. Thank You!

Xommen - What a great song. This song is new to me but as pa says a powerful performance by you. Thanks Wim for jumping right in with this very heartfelt cover.

BEVOMU - Oh the Carpenters. I think I wore out this album. I love them and I love that you brought them and I love that for a moment I thought you looked just like Karen:) Nice one Lynda. Thanks for this:) I will tell David what your message is here so he isn't too hurt when he arrives!

Weegingayin - This made me a little emotional Rob. The first to make the idea #2 playlist with a fantastic sweet version of this song. Looks like the apples are coming along nicely!

Dweiglein - Oh how sweet is this. Your hat is great and I can't stop looking at your smiling eyes. Thanks so much Diane!

Harry112 - This is lovely. Fits perfect! I didn't realize the Newman family fit here. Thanks for that history Randy. I love your little red flea. I keep saying I want one so when your through with it Ill let you know where to send it:)

If I can create a little chaos here (or expand the potential range of entries -- you be the judge):

Based on Linda's guidelines, The Who, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin music should qualify for the Season.

Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey has been The Who's tour drummer for at least a decade, and was in Ringo's All Starr Band before that. In addition, Pete Townshend's brother Simon has played with Pete and The Who for a couple of decades, at least. (Beatles, check. Who, check.)

Finally, (IIRC) John Bonham's son Jason has sat in for his dad in every Led Zep reunion with the exception of Live Aid.

So, rock on !!

You got it!

There is an endless amounts of music out there! This week we can learn more from each other than a strum pattern:)

I might also add that the Glen Campbell family toured his "Goodbye Tour" together. His wife has had some bad press because of him being in a home now with limited visits. I watched the documentary "Ill Be Me" this last week and it is one of the most moving and loving acts a family has gone through on film. His wife is an angel as well as his daughter that keeps him on track on stage throughout the tour. I highly recommend this film. It is an awakening awareness film for Alzheimer's but the big part of the story here is the family.

He is a brilliant artist/guitarist/singer as you will see in the movie. It can be rented through Amazon and iTunes.

I have decide that the prize's will be a gift card to Amazon

or

if you were one that fancied my waistcoat (vest) I will ship one to you. I have four of them. They are red/white/navy blue stars and stripes and on the reverse side red. I made them for a barbershop quartet years ago.

IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4420.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a very short (one stanza) instrumental whack at "Wildwood Flower" by the Carter Family, although my version sounds less like the Carters and more like something you'd hear in a 1950s sock hop.

A year ago I never would have thought I'd ever attempt to pick out even simple melodies on a uke, but now I'm attempting it thanks to the Seasons, and especially to Randy's instrumental theme last week.

I do have a couple of vocal songs picked out, one of them an original, which I hope to be able to do before the week is out if my voice can recover.

If we're talking family, the Davies brothers were about as combative as two brothers could be while staying musical partners for roughly three decades. I love just about everything the Kinks did in their first decade, including this one.

Maybe this will be educational... if not musically satisfying. The Family Act is the Everly Brothers.... sort of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom