Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is There A Whistle Kazoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv66viUCn1Y

You might be looking for this ^
    Looks very awesome. I had no choice but to buy one. My brother has a couple of border collies, I may consider getting him one if I like this.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

OK, I got the Acme 575 (why do I feel like I'm in a Roadrunner cartoon here?) and have been working on it for the last couple of hours. I can just barely get a weak whistle sound. But the amazing thing is the reaction of my dog. Seriously, Daisy has jumped up and stared right in my face as I've been trying out the whistle. Then, I saw her back away, turning in circles. Very strange! I can see how this whistle could control working dogs, as it has a definite effect even when not played properly.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I just got the plastic one (the 576 model). After about an hour I managed to start getting some sounds, but I can't yet control the pitch. But I think the sound is gonna be great, if I can ever master the technique!

I've been working on my 575. I'm now able to play 3 or 4 note phrases and repeat them more or less. Just now I was almost able to play a recognizable tune. I've noticed the whistle seems to have a low and high register. You can overblown the lower register to get a few higher notes, or underblow the upper register to get a few lower notes, but the trick really is to switch between the registers to get the full range of the instrument. The tongue thing is really tricky, and hard to describe. My tongue is somewhere under the whistle, and arched up so that the middle part of the tongue touches the straight backside of the whistle. I can't understand the fellow's instructions about tonguing with a "T" sound. The tip of my tongue isn't involved at all.

Hesitatingly, with starts and stops, even blowing the whistle out of my mouth at one point and catching it in my left hand, I managed to whistle through the entire tune, "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" this morning. The low note at the end was a challenge, I'll tell you. Drooling all over the place!

OK, I think this will have to be the last word in this thread. Seriously, I don't see how anyone could top this: https://youtu.be/aB3IiNRteDE?list=PL...cGsl08SSyyAELe

I'd never heard of the shepherd whistle before reading this thread. I just bought one on Amazon! It should keep me out of trouble for a while!
    My CD! Click here to listen!

Thread Information