Will the Circle be Unbroken? - Season 186

decaturcomp

Reaction score
Howdy friends and neighbors (and I wish more of you were close by),

What I propose this week is to sing some good old Country songs along with some new ones that were performed for the three Will the Circle Be Unbroken collections put together by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
People like Doc Watson, and Mother Maybelle Carter and Johnny Cash, Earl Scruggs, John Haitt and many more wonderful players made the first set a real winner. The second set was a little weaker with folkieish countryish lighter fare from folks like John Denver. Still there was plenty to like and some great playing throughout. The third one has a lot of high points and I think you’ll find most of these tunes available in one form or another by someone on You Tube or elsewhere. Anyone with Spotify (or iTunes Music I guess) can hear all of them.

Anyway...dive in and get some rootsy C&W under your belt if you haven’t before. There’s a lot to love here.

The limited rules are:
Please hold your posts to three (3) so I can make time to hear all of them.

Please play a uke.
New stuff only please.

The Berni Codicil - You may write a new song BASED on one of these songs if you wish. Please note which song you’re riffing on. Many of these are simple tunes and can lend themselves to reworking, but please keep the themes in the same wheelhouse as the songs you find here.

Will the Circle Be Unbroken Series
Complete track listing
Disc: 1
1. Good Ole Opry Song
2. Keep On the Sunnyside
3. Nashville Blues
4. You Are My Flower
5. The Precious Jewel
6. Dark As A Dungeon
7. Tennessee Stud
8. Black Mountain Rag
9. Wreck On The Highway
10. The End Of The World
11. I Saw The Light
12. Sunny Side Of The Mountain
13. Nine Pound Hammer
14. Losin' You (Might Be The Best Thing Yet)
15. Honky Tonkin'
16. You Don't Know My Mind
17. My Walkin' Shoes
Disc: 2
1. Lonesome Fiddle Blues
2. Cannonball Rag
3. Avalanche
4. Flint Hill Special
5. Togary Mountain
6. Earl's Breakdown
7. Orange Blossom Special
8. Wabash Cannonball
9. Lost Highway
10. Doc Watson & Merle Travis (dialogue)
11. Way Downtown
12. Down Yonder
13. Pins and Needles (In My Heart)
14. Honky Tonk Blues
15. Sailin' On to Hawaii
16. I'm Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes
17. I Am a Pilgrim
18. Wildwood Flower
19. Soldier's Joy
20. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
21. Both Sides Now
22. Foggy Mountain Breakdown
23. Warming Up For "The Opry" (talk)
24. Sunny Side (talk)
25. Remember Me
Disc: 3
1. Life's Railway To Heaven
2. Grandpa Was A Carpenter
3. When I Get My Rewards
4. Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan
5. Little Mountain Church House
6. And So It Goes
7. When It's Gone
8. Mary Danced With Soldiers
9. Riding Alone
10. I'm Sittin' On Top Of The World
11. Lovin' On The Side
12. Lost River
13. Bayou Jubilee
14. Blues Berry Hill
15. Turn Of The Century
16. One Step Over The Line
17. You Ain't Going Nowhere
18. The Valley Road
19. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
20. Amazing Grace
Continued in next response, this was too long for UU's brain to handle!

Here's the rest of the list:
Disc: 4
1. Take Me In Your Lifeboat2. Milk Cow Blues3. I Find Jesus4. Hold Whatcha Got5. Mama's Opry6. Diamond In The Rough7. Lonesome River8. Some Dark Holler9. The Lowlands10. Love, Please Come Home11. Goodnight Irene12. I Know What It Means To Be Lonesome13. I'll Be Faithful To You14. Tears In The Holston River
Disc: 5
1. Fishin' Blues2. Save It, Save It3. Wheels4. Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms5. Oh Cumberland6. I Am A Pilgrim7. Sallie Ann8. Catfish John9. Roll The Stone Away10. All Prayed Up11. Return To Dismal Swamp II12. There Is A Time13. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (Glory, Glory)14. Farther Along
Disc: 6
1. My Walkin' Shoes (DVD)2. Catfish John (DVD)3. One Step Over The Line (DVD)4. Roll The Stone Away (DVD)5. Love, Please Come Home (DVD)6. All Prayed Up (DVD)7. Oh Cumberland (DVD)8. Fishin' Blues (DVD)9. The Lowlands (DVD)10. Return To Dismal Swamp II (DVD)11. Earl's Breakdown (DVD)12. I Find Jesus (DVD)13. Mama's Opry (DVD)14. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (DVD)14. Little known hidden track Someday Soon! ;^)

Hosty notes:
I don’t plan to move my coments from You Tube to the Forum here. I’m not much for paperwork and doubling up makes me prone to mistakes.

I dont’ know if there will be prizes beyond bragging rights yet. I think I’ll just make mention of some of the many outstanding entries I expect in the wrapup. So, here are your songs to choose from and PLEASE don’t worry if someone else has done one if the ones you’d like to choose! We’re all making individual statements here and they are as unique as we all are from each other.

Playlist for this season

Last edited:
yeah BABY! countryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! my dad loves country music... oh, shall i? really? ok... and he's not averse to western music either! yeah! anyway he'll love we're doing this! great theme alan!

Be still, my beating heart!! Here's a little Doc for ya ...

Yes, young BEV, we shall be playing BOTH kinds of music....County AND Western!

yeah BABY! countryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! my dad loves country music... oh, shall i? really? ok... and he's not averse to western music either! yeah! anyway he'll love we're doing this! great theme alan!

Lots of wonderful songs to do here. Love this old stuff. Reminds me of my Dad.

I was playing Rolling IN MY Sweet Baby's Arms today and my mom (86) was singing along. I just played the chorus and stopped. She said there's more words to that song. So I kicked it in again and we sang every verse we could think of. Added La La's when we couldn't remember a line.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good time! I think I got the only lyrics I know from Leon Russell's great Hank Wilson's Back record.

Lots of wonderful songs to do here. Love this old stuff. Reminds me of my Dad.

I was playing Rolling IN MY Sweet Baby's Arms today and my mom (86) was singing along. I just played the chorus and stopped. She said there's more words to that song. So I kicked it in again and we sang every verse we could think of. Added La La's when we couldn't remember a line.

That sounds like a good time! I think I got the only lyrics I know from Leon Russell's great Hank Wilson's Back record.

Loved that LP Alan, as you might have guessed

Oh man oh man, you're gonna pull me back in, Alan!!! I don't know how I'll find the time, but I can't miss this one! I have the boxed set of all three volumes.

One corrective note: Hiatt was on the second volume, not the first.

- FiL

Well this should be a good one. So many good songs and tunes to choose from. good theme Alan.

I remember the recording well - I wore out (literally!) two copies of the vinyl set while I was in college, and I'm on my third of the CD - but now that i've burned it to the computer, I have lots of copies!

When I was in college, I quit playing guitar, because there were so many other players, and I couldn't even come close to their talent and showmanship. But I kept close to the music working as a sound guy for bands and coffee houses (and I was a broadcasting major, after all...)

One day I was getting a sound check done for one fantastic guitar player, when some people in the audience started yelling for "Tennessee Stud" (The school had a big Equestrian program...) When the performer shrugged and said he didn't know how to play the song, I said, "Oh, come on - of course you can play it! it's easy!" he looked at me, said, "Okay, hotshot - if it's so easy, then YOU play it."

So I did.

Don't know if I can play that one after more than 30 years, but I will be part of the Season.

I promise.

-Kurt​

There's some cool stuff here. Now the folk festival season is pretty much over for me, I hope to get a bit more time to contribute and comment on other's contributions. I've noted one which I had considered for Linda's week but won't get time to do now. I have a farmers market gig this morning and I'm hoping to catch up with a mini fest that I normally go to this afternoon so I will hold it over for this season.

I'm not going to do a Wendy and make it do double duty: a) I don't think it's right and b) I have another song I want to do for family week if I can find the time.

SOTU - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Great theme. Getting one in early. . Got to wait 8 minutes. Be right back.
Damn. 2 minutes.

My grandfather used to play this song a lot on guitar and I have some faint memories of that. It was a song that I then first learned on the guitar myself, and it's one of my mom's favorites.

It was about time I learned to play it a bit on the ukulele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom