Will the Circle be Unbroken? - Season 186

SOTU 186 I am a Pilgrim

So many wonderful songs and tunes to choose from this Season. Thank you for that Alan. Susan and I will be heading for the Eastern Shore of Delaware for a couple of weeks: To Bethany Beach. This one seemed somewhat appropriate:

I would be really bummed if I didn't get one in for a fellow Dead Head. This is Wabash Cannonball which I had heard before but I really like the version by Bob Weir and Dan Zanes. This is a little flat but oh well. I hope you enjoy.

"Will the Circle Be Unbroken"

When I saw this week's theme, I knew I had to get at least one video in. But with a full schedule this week, how would I do it? I decided to borrow some time from one of the music parties I went to this weekend.

Near the end of an epic seven-hour jam on Saturday in my friends Mike and Judy's backyard, I corralled the hearty folks that remained, and we made this video. Yes, the guitars far outnumber my lone banjo-uke, but it was about a quarter to midnight, so I had to work with what I could get. That's Randy on bass, and Judy, Mike, Carolyn, Robert, and Bob on guitars, with Mike taking all the leads. Ragged, but right.

- FiL

"Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"

Course I had to do the song that's the name of the Season. It was fun messing with Garage Band today I did 3 layers of uke some virtual violin (but you can't really hear it for some reason) also added a deep voice that you can hardly hear. Sounded good on the phone but didn't really transfer well. Still came out pretty good me thinks :)

Hey Alan,
Here's a tune that would have worked for instrumental week, hair week, garden week, family week, English Folk week...and for this week as well. I guess I have learned Aaron Keim's fab arrangement before, as I was able to play it on the second try more or less. So I added a bunch of hammer-ons and stuff to make it so I could barely get through it. The circle will definitely be broken with the likes of me around..also I sing some, but don;t be scared; only one verse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildwood_Flower
https://youtu.be/RXWUEFR34sE

Great theme Alan!
Hey now, I see a Dead cover or two in that list...
Here's one of them, heard it many times, but never tried playing it before yesterday

Goodnight Irene.
Cha and Pa.
We played ukulele but just not in this vid. But it was done for this season but not an official vid.
Charlie having a go at guitar Pa having a go at bass.

Okay, this one I've never done before this week.

If I have a C harp, and I'm playing in G, that's cross harp, right? Anyway, that's what I did. Took me a little while to figure it out.

I might have to take this one to the nursing home. I think it would go over well there. One of my regular songs there is "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." Everyone sings along on the choruses.

Okay ..this might be more Lonnie Donnegan than Johnny Cash...
more skiffle than Country ...or B'grass...Sorry .... .... I seem to have only one speed when it comes to this and other Train Songs.......Full Tilt , Full Steam ahead and never mind the points (switches ?)...just go f'r it...

SOTU 186 Both Sides Now

Today marks my first full year playing the Ukulele. It has been a most rewarding year.

Rickie Skaggs covered this one on "Will the Circle be Unbroken". On my birthday in 1967 I received an FM radio as a gift. spinning the dial that night I first heard Joni Mitchell sing urge for going on the Gene Shea Show, WMMR. I have loved Joni's songs singing and artwork ever since. In March Joni had an aneurysm.

Latest reports are she is on the road to full recovery. Good luck Joni!

http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/07/joni-mitchell-medical-condition-improving-aneurysm-conservatorship/

One of my favorite sad songs :) There are some great images on this one. Funny blank spot near the end!? The last picture in the song is a sketch done by my eldest daughter. Artistry runs think in this family! I hope you enjoy it. This one took some time.

love love love this challenge! the first collection by the nitty was my touchstone to real country! that and 'the last time' by bob wills..anyhow..

cheers all!

Took a while but found a song sheet for one of the songs that weren't covered yet this season. Written by Henry Thomas and first recorded in 1927-1929 and later covered by the Lovin' Spoonful, Taj Mahal and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

It's another of those learning curve weeks - I have been listening to a lot of those NGDB albums on Spotify, and knew more songs than I thought I would, but I have ended up going back to one I half knew already. I have the original Mississippi Sheiks version, which always sounded quite mournful to me, but I have kept the "peaches" verse from Doc Watson.

Just letting you all know that Season 185 is wrapped up. Thank you all!

I've never been able to do this song without screwing it up somewhere, and after about 10 takes tonight, this time was no different.

The "Farther Along" bits I did from memory plus some switching around the chords just as I felt like doing.

Season 186 ..Song ..I Am A Pilgrim.

Top Bottom