Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquila Red series...Take two.

Default Aquila Red series...Take two.

I recently posted about my trial of the Aquila Red series string set. It very quickly ended with a snapped A string, similar to what I have heard and read about them previously.

Well, Mimmo from Aquila contacted me and offered to replace the string sets that broke on me. A generous offer I thought. Since I did really like the sound of the string set, I thought I would try again.

This time I thought I would try them out on my Boat Paddle, last time I tried them on my Compass Rose. The boat has that nifty pin bridge, so no nut slots to possibly cause an issue. Not that they broke at the nut on the CR anyway. They snapped somewhere at or past the saddle on the CR.

Well, so far so good, no issues! I have to say they do sound great on the BP as well. I really am liking these strings a lot. The copper infused Nylgut seems to embody the bright, clearer tone of carbon strings, nice volume and sustain as well. Yet they still have the sweet, warm, and rounder characteristics of nylon strings. Not to mention, the deep red color goes great with the Cocobolo back and sides.

They only thing I can think of that possibly caused an issue on the CR is the slotted bridge that they use. You just knot the string and slide it through the slot. Not that it should matter, no other strings have ever snapped on it. I checked the slot and it appears to be very smooth. I might try and slide a small file or sandpaper through it just to be sure though.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update on my experience with these strings. I hope they really have corrected there issues, I would like to continue using them.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)
    Big Island BI-MO-TR-(All Spalted Mango)
    Compass Rose Style B Tenor-(All Claro Walnut)
    Boat Paddle ML style Tenor-(Red Spruce/Cocobolo)

Baritone Uke
    Pono MHBSSC-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Tenor Guitar
    Ibanez AVT1-N-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Did it break right at the knot? In the middle, or right where it turns the 90 degree coming out of the slot at the saddle?

I wonder if it's breaking because of a crushing force in the knot. If so, you might get around it by using a different kind of knot than a regular overhand, or possibly a bead.

Spectra/dyneema had that problem. Very strong tensile strength, but if you knot it, the crushing of the knot would weaken and break there.

I've never broken an Aquila red, but all my bridges are tie.

I wonder if something like a figure 8 loop knot would help. It puts 2 layers of string in the cinch, so there's less crushing.

figure_8_loop_knot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    Did it break right at the knot? In the middle, or right where it turns the 90 degree coming out of the slot at the saddle?

I wonder if it's breaking because of a crushing force in the knot. If so, you might get around it by using a different kind of knot than a regular overhand, or possibly a bead.

Spectra/dyneema had that problem. Very strong tensile strength, but if you knot it, the crushing of the knot would weaken and break there.

I've never broken an Aquila red, but all my bridges are tie.

I wonder if something like a figure 8 loop knot would help. It puts 2 layers of string in the cinch, so there's less crushing.

figure_8_loop_knot.jpg
    I can't say for sure where it broke, but it appeared to be before the knot. Like I mentioned though, I never had a string snap on the CR, so I'm inclined to think the bridge is not causing it, but then you never know. I can certainly try another knot the next time I try them on that uke. That may eliminate one thing anyway.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)

Baritone Uke

Tenor Guitar

Thanks for the update. That was soooo like Mimmo of Aquila to do that. He is a quality individual and loves stringed instruments. Makes me want to give the reds a try. Glad things are working out for you so far.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

As a fan of the Red strings, I appreciate you giving them a second chance and sharing your experience.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Very cool of Aquila to provide you with a replacement set!

Sing praise for these reds and get nothing for the two low G's that snapped on a risa stick. But if you talk bad about them you get a free set.

Bitter me not at all I expect nothing different just getting it off my chest.

I hope you enjoy them I know I like them very much. Would have loved that low G on my Risa stick but without a mod it isn't going to happen. After blowing two I wasn't going to try the third I bought.

If nothing else they should have a warning that the low G may not work with a risa stick. The reentrant sets are fine.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Inksplosive AL View Post
    Sing praise for these reds and get nothing for the two low G's that snapped on a risa stick. But if you talk bad about them you get a free set.

Bitter me not at all I expect nothing different just getting it off my chest.

I hope you enjoy them I know I like them very much. Would have loved that low G on my Risa stick but without a mod it isn't going to happen. After blowing two I wasn't going to try the third I bought.

If nothing else they should have a warning that the low G may not work with a risa stick. The reentrant sets are fine.
    I don't believe I spoke "bad" about them. In fact, I believe I said that I liked them a lot, it was just that they snapped. I was just relaying my expierence with them and that there still seemed to be an issue with them breaking. I would imagine if you contacted him, he would replace your strings.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)

Baritone Uke

Tenor Guitar

I wouldn't speak to the "breakiness" of these strings. I haven't tried them.

Figuring out where exactly the break occurred can be a little tough because the string was stretched under tension when it broke. when the string tension is released as it breaks, you're going to have a long side and a short side. Each will contract differently because of the different lengths of string that were under tension on each side of the break. you can't just pull it back together and say it happened where they meet up. You can get a ballpark I suppose but it could be a fret width + / - to either side or more depending on the string. Maybe outer strings snag on a small fret edge. I slip the string over the fret ends myself on occasion. OR it might look close to the knot but it was actually over the saddle.

I think I would need a larger sample size of string set in question before forming a definite opinion about them. Trying them on other instruments is a good call.

I am trying low G on one of my ukes and have decided to try a low G Aquila Red along with Worth CH for the other strings. I like it a lot more than a wound string. No boominess and it blends in quite nicely.

I attach the strings on this uke using a classical string knot. But I think it is important to minimize sharp edges, even when using a bead or a pin, for those bridges. I had an issue with a Worth A string breaking on one of my pinned ukes. I ended up smoothing out edges, even the pin edges, and so far so good.

John

Thread Information