Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent uke from slipping?

Default How to prevent uke from slipping?

I play classical guitar and have just started playing the ukulele. I'm finding it much harder to hold than the guitar, which sits firmly on the left knee when using a footstool, and the ukulele keeps slipping. It doesn't help that it is a shiny, painted Makala Dolphin. Consequently, I'm finding that I'm getting an ache in my shoulders and back (at least I'm assuming this is what's causing it as I didn't have it before!) from the effort of keeping it in place, especially when using tabs.

Any advice from anyone would be gratefully received!

Look up how to hold ukulele on the internet. Lots of info (I am not an expert so I am referring you to google!). That being said, I had a hard time holding my Makakla Shark, too, even sitting down. I just got a Mainland Mango Uke and it is easier to hold. Same size uke, shiny surface. Weird.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by UkeMania View Post
    Look up how to hold ukulele on the internet. Lots of info (I am not an expert so I am referring you to google!). That being said, I had a hard time holding my Makakla Shark, too, even sitting down. I just got a Mainland Mango Uke and it is easier to hold. Same size uke, shiny surface. Weird.
    Thanks, I've already googled but still finding it slips!
    Perhaps I'll try a strap.

It takes awhile (at least for me) to learn to hold it so it doesn't slip, but I think I'm getting better . . .
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Celluke View Post
    Thanks, I've already googled but still finding it slips!
    Perhaps I'll try a strap.
    If you're handy with a drill, you can buy an endpin strap button for $2 online, and drill a hole to install it

Otherwise any local music shop that sells and does work on guitars should be able to sell and install one for you for ~$10-15 or so, it takes less than 5 mins if done properly and does not require a Masters Degree in Luthery to perform the installation.

There are MANY videos on YouTube, mostly for Guitar, but if you search 'ukulele strap button install' you might find one for uke, but if not the procedure to install one on guitar is essentially the same.

Once the strap button is installed, using a shoelace or string, tie one end of the string to the strap button with a good knot, and then tie the other string end, at a comfortable length to the headstock, just behind the nut. This is exactly how I have my soprano set up. Any other kind of strap would seem to me to be heavier than the actual ukulele it is supporting.

Let me know if this helps you.
    Last edited by Booli; 09-12-2015 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typos
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

You might want to put a little sticky stuff, like kitchen drawer paper, where it contacts your leg or the back. (John King tip) I actually do this for my guitar, using some felt where my right arm hits it. (Douglas Niedt tip).

I made a video called "First Ukulele Lesson for a Guitarist" yesterday for my friend, who was my classical guitar teacher. Not that entertaining, but pretty practical I think.

Practice, practice, practice.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Use the lower arm to gently press the body of the ukulele against your body (without suffocating it). For the neck, I can only recommend getting an Uke Leash from Lori. That helped me a lot and I still use one with sopranos too (but feel I need it less now that the fretting hand has gotten stronger).

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Strap, strap, strap.

Your painted uke might be perfect for the solution I found for my Outdoor Ukulele tenor. I use a Flanger FA 80 guitar accessory device with a suction cup on the side of the uke. Mine was from that well known auction site, but many music stores have similar items. http://www.amazon.com/Flanger-FA-80-.../dp/B00BP4F564

It is a triangle shape that suctions to the side of the ukulele and is held atop my left leg. I like the neck of the uke to be up high and using the Flanger achieves that. I rinse the suction cup with water, leave the suction cup damp, and then put it on the lower bout. Having a plastic uke is helpful in that the tiny bit of dampness won't hurt anything, but your shiny, painted Makala probably would be a benefit here and work just as well.

I like the rubbery shelf liner solution, too, and will have to try that one as well.
    Last edited by actadh; 09-12-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    - Laura

Thread Information