College?!

DylanHess

Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering since a lot of people here are from Hawaii are there good colleges there? i was looking at Hawaii Pacific University and that looked pretty cool. Any other ones? Or suggestions at all on the subject?

Depends what are you going for??? But HPU is good because it's small classes unlike UH so huge there class get like 300 in a class lol.

HPU Honolulu campus is smack dab in the middle of business district of Honolulu. Right next to my office building in fact. I pass it everyday walking to the parking structure.

i dont really know what i want to do... something with liberal, envoronmental etc... mostly wanna go somewhere nice haha

UH Hilo is good for environmental studies.

Hey i was just wondering since a lot of people here are from Hawaii are there good colleges there? i was looking at Hawaii Pacific University and that looked pretty cool. Any other ones? Or suggestions at all on the subject?

I would look for online reviews of colleges.

In my opinion, Chaminade University of Honolulu is the best choice! It is a private institution. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Chaminade University of Honolulu's ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities West, it is the best place to study as for me, also you can combine studying and playing the ukulele, to save more time for this you can use help from a website that writes for you.

I saw a Peter, Paul, and Mary concert at Chaminade High School on Long Island, NY in about 1963. : )

UH Manoa on Oahu is the UH system's flagship university. Beautiful area in Manoa Valley and only a mile from Waikiki beach and Ala Moana. Normally lots of international students and a huge graduate program, well pre-COVID that is. It's a ghost town now. Most classes in the UH system are DE due to COVID, and Fall semester is planned to remain DE based (I'm a professor and DE classes were officially mandated for Fall 2021). Spring might be different if the earth is still spinning...

My advice to you is to take advantage of some very good cards in your hand. . .

first, at your age, believe it or not, you have a free pass to talk to ANYONE about their work, their job, their career path. Almost everyone will sit down and talk with you about their work. So take advantage of it. Make calls and meet people in jobs that sound interesting to you.

second, read the Wall Street Journal regularly, to get a sense of the many, many, many kinds of jobs that exist. Many young people have no notion of what's possible.

third, don't go to college without having at least two reasonably clear ideas of what you want to do. . . and they should be realistic, not "I'm going to become the Director of the New York Museum of Art." There are only so many truly stupendous jobs. And realistically, money and realistic opportunity matters greatly. I've seen too many liberal arts graduates get a 4-year degree and STILL not know what they're going to do. . . even while drowning in student debt.

Finally, student debt is a serious and real concern in 2021. . . not so much in 1971. I've got a 17 year-old son and we're even considering sending him to Europe for undergrad.

Apparently this thread was started in 2008. I would hope that he has made his decision, graduated, got a great job, married, and has a handful of kids to worry about.

Top Bottom