Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Least Often Played Uke?

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Default What's Your Least Often Played Uke?

For those who have two or more Ukuleles, tell us which Uke in your collection is least often played, and why you think that is.

For me, it's my Baritone. I think it's probably because of the traditional Baritone stringing, DGBE. I just want to play the tunes I know on my other Ukes and in the same key, and I don't like the different fingerings, it messes up my memorized melody lines, etc. I plan on re-stringing my Bari to Low G Island tuning in the near future.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

My DIY ukulele kit uke by far. Simply because I am no luthier and the materials were pretty bad. The frets were placed in so badly that even a glance at it sideways would show that a few of them were much, much higher than the others. I still haven't been able to make it playable. But I'm not sure that counts because it's pretty much wall art now. I'd say my Rubin Pocket uke, because I play tenor and that thing is tiny.

At the moment I just have the one uke, but when I previously owned 3 I would always get them all out together when I played and enjoyed switching between them, so none ever really remained unplayed. Thats partly why I like to own a few at once and when looking at a new purchase I always consider how it 'fits in' with my other ukes

My least played uke is the Schoenhut 'Oak Mahogany' soprano Flea copy. After 2 months the so-called 'frets' on the vinyl fretboard were nearly completely worn down up to the 9th fret. In it's manufactured state it sounded dead and had little, if any sustain.

I could not bring myself to throw it out, so I converted it to a sort of soprano scale uke bass,or sub-octave uke tuned G2-C3-E3-A3 with a worn out set of Aquila Thunder REDS, but the intonation on those giant fat strings on a 13.75" scale is really terrible past the 4th fret, even though it is kind of a fretless now, you have to compensate A LOT with your finger positions. Now it lives in the closet.

Second to that is my $30 Mahalo U30-BK soprano, which actually sounds and plays very nice since I filed the nut slots to fix the intonation, but being a soprano (and I play mostly tenors and baritones now) is a bit tight for my fretting hand, and having only 12 frets in total is kind of a problem because there are few songs that I cannot play on it because I really need 15 frets. If I buy another soprano, I'm going to look for one with like 17 frets or more.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

My Kala KA-S. It's really a good uke for the price, but I play the Kamaka pineapple when I play soprano because it has much better tone.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

My first uke was a Lanikai spalted mango tenor. It's beautiful and I like its sound. I usually gravitate to other ukes more, though I'm not exactly sure why. Right now, I think it may be the strings. I have Worth browns on and want to try South Coast soft mediums. Thanks for this thread; I need to make the move.

I try and play them all. If there's one I notice has been out of the rotation for a while, and I don't really miss it .... it gets sold or traded.
    Covered Bridge Cedar/Myrtle Tenor
    KoAloha Longneck Soprano
    Concert Flea
    Mele Mahogany Tenor
    Mele Mahogany Concert Pineapple
    Mainland Mahogany Soprano
    50's Roy Smeck Soprano
    guitars, mandolin, fiddle, harmonica

Every time a thread like this comes up it reminds me to play my soprano, which is the most neglected of my three ukes. The other two are concerts and that's become my preferred size... for now, anyway!

My least played is my vintage plywood birch Harmony with a plastic fretboard.

I consider giving it away every few months.

1950's Harmony soprano.jpgBut, every once in a while there is a song that only sounds "right" when it is played on the Harmony.
    Last edited by actadh; 09-16-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Zither Heaven, First Act

I only have 1 so....

Thread Information