What's Your Least Often Played Uke?

A Koa laminent Mahalo soprano my dear wife bought from Hammiker Schlemmer for way too much. Lots of bling but no sing.

Of course I would never tell her that.

Right now, it's actually my best (best sounding, best workmanship) ukulele, the Barron River tenor.

The reasons for that are all somewhat silly, too.

For the most part, it's simply because of its value and uniqueness, which make me worry about bumping it into something or put it on the desk unprotected (the high glass finish makes me more cautious, though I'm not sure if that concern is even justified). So I only take it out of the hard shell case when I know I won't get interrupted and I'll be able to practice for a while.

The fact that it is in the case adds to that. Much easier to pick up the KPK tenor that is in a usually half-opened padded gig bag or the KPK soprano that sits on a side table (the soprano is also playable pretty much everywhere, I don't need to sit properly, and it is tiny). I recall reading in a guitar forum that putting a guitar into a case is a sure way to skip practicing on it frequently. That applies to me.

On a psychological level (and this is the silliest reason of them all!), I also feel that my current skill level isn't where it needs to be to do justice to such a formidable instrument, so I feel "unworthy". Too strong a word, but you get the idea. It's just the thought that I should save the experience for later when I'm a better player. I know, it's silly and backwards, because practicing on a great instrument is an excellent approach.

Finally, I sometimes get the idea I should stick to sopranos, because they are the most original of the different sizes, offer the best portability, and are the least guitar-like; when that happens, I focus intently on just sopranos for a few days, until inevitably I start missing the more mellow sound of the tenor(s) and the higher string tension (makes picking more comfortable and "feels better" to me) and focus on tenors again for a while. It seems to be an endless cycle of shifting preferences for me.

I should make that custom tenor my most played ukulele. If it collects some dings, that's okay. In the end, most instruments that are actually used will.

OK, I'm sorry but I just have to say this: play the #%$# uke!

1.) I had an old upright piano that I had to bang to get a sound out of. When it finally died, I bought a baby grand. Am I baby grand material? NO! Not even close! But I love that piano! It isn't about whether we are good enough for them, but whether or not we enjoy them!

2.) My mother used to get new towels every Christmas from a friend. They were beautiful, fancy towels. She never let us use them because she was saving them for the guests. We never had guests. When she died a few years back, my brother found all of those beautiful towels dry rotted in the back of the closet and threw them out.

Don't wait til your good enough. Play that uke now and enjoy it!

OK, sermon over. :p

My least played is my first one - Lanikai Concert. Why? I don't know. I paid way too much for it at a local music store that is overpriced. It had a nice sound then. Maybe because of the size of it. I am pretty petite so the soprano fits me well.

However, this thread made me dig it out of the closet. I'm going to play it and see what I think . . .

My Mainland Mango is my fav, though . . .

It is an Innominata build prior to 1955. It was purchased by my mother-in-law for her daughter when she was only 5 years old ---- for $5.00. It is a solid wood soprano. I stripped and refinished it about 5 ago years ago. We had been for 32 years before she even thought about it still being in her parents' attic. 18 months ago Becky moved on to singing and playing who knows what with The Band of Saints and Angels. Its intrinsic value far exceeds anything else in The Heard in my music room called The Chorale. Value is in the memories of the beholder.

My Moku. That thing sucks IMO, from sound to playability. Oh why didn't I get the Ohana I was considering instead. :mad:

Top Bottom