Playing an electric telecaster Ukutele

Braga2966

Reaction score
In trying to learn how to play my Ukutele like an electric guitar I've watched electric guitar videos but I feel some transfer and some info just can't for me. The only electric guitar looking uke videos I've seen is just people showing off not really explaining any tips or techniques. I have two acoustic ones and this is just another learning curb that seems a bit steep atm am I approaching it all wrong?

Thanks ;)

image.jpg

Last edited:
This may not help or it might seem too obvious but what the hey.

When you say you want to play it like a guitar I can only think you mean like a lead guitar or playing individual notes as most strum chords on a ukulele. From my old guitar days a lead guitar player really has to learn the scales up and down front to back. Then there are hammer ons and pull offs along with bending the strings to add flavor as you play.

I would search out lead guitar technique myself if that were my interest. Perhaps a link to a video of what you are trying to accomplish.

~peace~

The first thing you need to do is get rid of that high G and swap it for a low G. If you want to play it like an electric 6 string, re-entrant tuning just won't work.

However, as Al has already said, what do you want to achieve?

I will reiterate that you need to get some clarity about what you want to do.

This is actually a problem that a lot of uke players have (myself included), perhaps because the instrument is used in so many ways! With blues guitar or classical guitar or rock guitar, there is a fairly clear path forward. Ukers play in many genres.

I have this same Teton uke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMnWRAsV-KI

He shows off a handful of techniques that you should be able to use. It's not all tabbed out, so you are going to have to use your imagination and maybe work some to get them to work.

I'm not sure you need to change out the G string, by the way. Yes, if you want to play power chords, but I don't think electric ukes should be playing power chords.

I don't think electric ukes should be playing power chords.

Why not? We've aready determined that we don't know what style of music he wants to play. If he wants to shred, or if he wants to play jazz, reggae, blues etc, he'll still be much better with a low G.

It's just that I would never play a power chord on a guitar except on the 5 and 6 strings. Do you think a power chord based on the 4th string of a ukulele has any purpose?

I see various stringing / tuning options.

* For power chords (omitted 3rds) restring it GCgc or GDgd or something like that.
* For lead+chord playing, just go low-G to GCea or DGbe like a guitar's top strings
* For slide playing, slack the top to GCeg and maybe raise the action a little.
* For pattern playing, go straight 4ths to GCfa# or EAdg like a guitar's bottom strings.

Don't forget the effects pedals. ;)

Last edited:
Well, not since the late 80s, Metallica... the lame black album ruined it for me. The riffs I liked were based on the bass strings.

https://www.facebook.com/tbraga/videos/10207800225472015/

She, sorry I haven't gotten around to forum settings for gender and I don't know if the link will work if not I will find another. The high G is already swapped with a Low G(I prefer Low G over high G anyways) I am more along the lines of Rhythm guitar as opposed to lead ( I don't have time between work and pre areas for a doctorate) I know I need to get better at Palm muting because I'm hearing resonance/other strings I don't want. I'm just trying to not sound like a bunch of noise rock guitar.. If that makes sense?

Last edited:
Here is Heart's version of What About Love

It starts off with some tasteful 80s synth pads. Perhaps you could orchestrate this with some clean, light chord hits. Maybe there is some pedal that could make the ukulele sound like a synth. Perhaps or this.

The next section comes the power chords. Here are fingerings if you want to go that route, you would hit the distortion pedal at that point.

Ann does a great glam rock solo, which could happen on the ukulele if you were so inclined.

You should ask on The Gear Page, a forum for these dudes (and possibly dudettes, though I have never seen any) who like to try out every pedal and amp that has come out.

Ok folks, let's not try to over analyze this. You already have a fine technique. Unlike classical, there really isn't a right or wrong way to play rock/pop/whatever. In terms of palm muting, that's ok if what you are playing will allow for a static right hand. If not, learn to mute with your left hand by tapping the strings with a spare finger after playing the chord (I could probably explain that better given enough time). Alternatively, you could keep a towelling scrunchie around the headstock just behind the nut, and roll it forwards just in front of the nut to dampen the open strings if the tune you're playing doesn't need them. The purists will consider this cheating, but it's a perfectly acceptable technique to use a string damper, I've been using one on my 6 and 7 string electrics for 20 years.

Ok folks, let's not try to over analyze this. You already have a fine technique. Unlike classical, there really isn't a right or wrong way to play rock/pop/whatever. In terms of palm muting, that's ok if what you are playing will allow for a static right hand. If not, learn to mute with your left hand by tapping the strings with a spare finger after playing the chord (I could probably explain that better given enough time). Alternatively, you could keep a towelling scrunchie around the headstock just behind the nut, and roll it forwards just in front of the nut to dampen the open strings if the tune you're playing doesn't need them. The purists will consider this cheating, but it's a perfectly acceptable technique to use a string damper, I've been using one on my 6 and 7 string electrics for 20 years.

Lol thanks for the non complicated ;) it was helpful. I will check out the version of the song but I tend to not like playing things exactly like the original.. Try to make it my own somehow.. If that makes sense?

Damn Jo, "you be jamming"....look forward to hearing more of your stuff. Glad you joined us.

;) Thanks Phil! Glad to be here! :D I'm at that point where YouTube can't help me so I'm glad I finally signed up to the forum I was a lurker for a while. I have other recordings from that night but I was just trying to post the best one that I felt could show what I'm doing currently and how I can improve. Palm muting or some way that it just doesn't sound like a bunch of noise and the notes are cleanly heard.. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions :)

First, I would consider getting a Baritone sized Uke. It is tuned the same as the first 4 (small) strings of a guitar. Also, it has lots more room on the fretboard for bending than a Concert. It is easy to play it as you would a "lead" guitar. I used the center 4 strings from a classical set on a Tenor Uke and was able to tune it the same as the Baritone. There are plenty of electrics in the Baritone and Tenor sizes.

-Wiggy

But with a Baritone wouldn't I have to learn all new chords? Tuning is different by what I've gathered

But with a Baritone wouldn't I have to learn all new chords? Tuning is different by what I've gathered
No the chords will just have different names with the same shape. Your G chord in GCEA tuning will be a D in DGBE. I have my electric steel string bari tuned GCEA with Daddrio XXL [the lightest electric guitar strings they make ] using the lightest 4 and it sounds great and is super easy to play.

Top Bottom