Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you play uke in the '80s - or before?

Default Did you play uke in the '80s - or before?

How was it playing uke before the latest revival? Did you know others who played? Were there events or clubs?

How was the uke community in Hawaii then?

I first played as a small child in the 1970s in northern California, taught by my dad. When I came back to it some years ago, I had no idea there even was a "revival" or a "community" - I just knew I wanted to play one of the instruments I played as a kid, it was either that or piano and my house is too small for a piano It kind of came as a shock to me that ukulele was a trend!

Nope, not until 2010.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

My Dad started playing the piano and the ukulele in the 1940's and he passed on his love of music to our family. We were fortunate to grow up with music in the home and we shared many wonderful moments playing together.
    Piano, uke, guitar & banjo.
    Last edited by Camsuke; 09-18-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

My wife brought my first Uke home from a Hawaii trip back in '84. I messed around with it some. It wasn't until a few years later that I got more serious about it. But, I was playing in the late 80's, early 90's. Then life issues snuck up on me, and the Uke took a back seat until I retired. I should mention that I learned to play on my own back then. I didn't know anyone who played, and I didn't have any recordings, etc. There were no Uke resources on the early internet. It was a period of time when the Ukulele was in decline, and pretty much discounted by musicians and the public as being trivial. As a consequence, I learned to play in an odd, un-ukulele kind of way. My only guidance was from what I heard guitar players doing. I did play publicly back then, as I took my Tenor with me every weekday morning to my favorite bagel shop, where I would sit and play while sipping coffee and munching bagels. I played mostly Stephen Foster tunes, and Civil War era music.

So, between having 'learned' oddly to begin with, and being away from it so long that I forgot most of what I'd learned, I pretty much had to start over from the beginning when I decided to take it up again a couple of years ago. Today, I'm fully involved with Ukulele and enjoying it immensely!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I got my first ukulele in 1961. Bill F. and I played in front of our 4th grade elementary class. I don't remember playing anywhere other than in our houses and at the school. Ed Sullivan never called.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    I first played ... in the 1970s .... When I came back to it some years ago, I had no idea there even was a "revival" or a "community" - I just knew I wanted to play one of the instruments I played as a kid, ... it kind of came as a shock to me that ukulele was a trend!
    My story almost exactly !! I had a wall-hanger of a banjo-uke with a wooden top "back in the day".
    b&w_054.jpg
    It used to come down and get strummed a bit when there was a crowd in the room and not enough guitars to go around. I gave it away to someone who "quite liked it" ... maybe it's still on a wall, somewhere
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Nope. Started on dulcimer in '64 and guitar in '65 but didn't get an 'uke until 2 years ago and a serious tenor a few months ago (check my join date here). I never considered 'ukes seriously until very recently. All that has changed now!

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

I was playing the Dukes in the 80's, always wanted to be Bo, because he drove the most. Never heard of ukes till the late 90's.
    Makala Dolphin Martin Aquila

Hora baritone Martin M630

Got my first uke on my 10th Birthday in 1951. My dad taught me one song, then I was on my own. I pulled it out once or twice a year, played that song (Yes Sir, That's My Baby) a few times and put it back. I didn't get serious until 2005 or so, when I discovered ukes had gotten popular. Joined a local club a few years later.

Thread Information