NUD Preview Barron River 8 String Tenor

attachment.php

Well it is really almost NUD as Allen McFarlen has posted photos of my completed 8 string tenor on his Barron River Guitars and Ukulele website. I am extremely happy about how it turned out. Cant wait to start playing it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
That hog board is da bomb. Among the loveliest hog boards I have seen. Congrats!

The more I play my BR, the more I love it - depending on the song, sometimes I love it even more than the Kinnard.

Andy,
That Mahogany is pretty unique isn't it. I have never seen anything like it before. It was hiding in Allen's woodpile.

Wow, that's sure something to say. I haven't had the pleasure to play a Kinnard but it's' reputation puts them among the best.

Well, I guess it's because they are such different instruments: Kinnard is low and mellow, BR has snap and meaty mid-range.

How wonderful that instruments have different voices. When you acquire a new one it's like meeting a new friend.

UU store has a t-shirt that says "Say Hello to my Little Friend". Should be mandatory apparrel for all of us with UAS.

Damn Hollis that is one spectacular instrument. I am not going to be able to resisit ordering a Barron River now that I have seen that. Congratulations and let us know when it arrives into your anxiously awaiting hands.

UU store has a t-shirt that says "Say Hello to my Little Friend". Should be mandatory apparrel for all of us with UAS.

Damn Hollis that is one spectacular instrument. I am not going to be able to resisit ordering a Barron River now that I have seen that. Congratulations and let us know when it arrives into your anxiously awaiting hands.

Dave, you definitely will want a Barron River in your stable.

Dave, you definitely will want a Barron River in your stable.

A Kinnard is high on my list and to hear you are so pleased with your BR considering the ukes in your stable.........that speaks volumes.

Not only am I sampling different woods but now builders from different countries......will it never end.

Allen told me today that it will be posted on Monday so I should have it in time to play it at my Saturday Uke jam at the local farmers market.
I've only played one BR before commissioning mine, but you should really consider one of these ukes. Especially as even the Canadian dollar is worth more than ours.

Last edited:
Congratulations, your BR turned out amazing! Awesome pieces of wood, both on the body as well as on the fretboard and faceplate. Looking forward to hearing more from this Uke.

I think the most fitting way to complete this thread is to post the email I sent Allen McFarlen a little while after the 8 string was delivered today:
Allen,
The uke arrived safe and sound about half an hour ago and I’ve been playing/exploring it ever since. I would like to say just WOW! and leave it at that but must also add that the instrument has exceeded my expectations. It has that superlative quality that confirms my decision to ask you to craft this wonderful object of joy for me. Therein lays good value.

The spacing of the G pair is fine. I can manage to separately pick each individual string. Actually I can also do that on the C pair. The action is spot on as it plays like the proverbial ‘Butta’. I particularly enjoy the harmonics on this instrument. If it was a 4 string it would be great but as it is an eight, the instrument produces a heavenly chorus.

Thank you so much for your skill, knowledge and craftsmanship. I will treasure this instrument forever.

Best Regards,
Hollis Dwyer

From one BR fan to another: right on! "Butta" sounds about right. Congrats!

Hollis. This is a fabulous Uke.

I am interested in getting a BR as well. Just need to figure out what it is I am desiring.

It was. Super Soprano, but then a Concert and now I am thinking a Tenor. Lol

Congratulations Hollis that is so nice to hear that this instrument exceeded your expectations. Good on ya for sending such a nice email to Allen. He deserves the accolades............ and you deserve this wonderful ukulele, enjoy it.

You like the little (aussie) "Good on ya" that I threw in there........ eh! ( that is our Canadianism) :cheers:

Top Bottom