Season 188 - The Saddest Songs in the World

I really appreciate this theme as it contests the stereotype of the uke as only being a happy, comedic and mirthful instrument.

Entry#2

Now this is my favorite kind of song to play on the uke :eek: I hope to have some practice time so I can partake in this.

This week I want you to play THE -- MOST -- DEPRESSING -- SONG -- YOU -- KNOW, with the caveat that it has to also be a song you like. It can be a song about a broken heart, but it must be not just merely sad, but really most sincerely sad. I want the oh-my-God-that's-so-horrible-I-think-I'll-just-crawl-off-now-and-slit-my-wrists songs.
The first band that springs to mind here are 'The Smiths'..........you don't get any more morose than Morrissey, especially with such classics as 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' and 'Girlfriend In A Coma'.
A real pass me the razor blades theme here :(

Last edited:
SOTU 188 Sad Songs #1 Long Black Veil

Nice double theme Jim! a Ghost story for my first entry this Season.

The first band that springs to mind here are 'The Smiths'..........you don't get any more morose than Morrissey, especially with such classics as 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' and 'Girlfriend In A Coma'.

Yeah. Though I have to admit that I have a different reaction to Morrissey than many people. The first time I heard "Meat Is Murder", I literally fell off my chair laughing. When I hear him sing "Girlfriend in a coma, I know it's serious", my reaction is "Oh, you know that, do you? Nothing gets by you, Moz."

Just caught up with the new theme. Plenty of trad folk songs will fit the main theme. As,for prog rock, I'll have to see what I can do. I've a Pink Floyd that I could do but I've always quite liked Jethro Tull so I'll have to do some looking up to see what is I can do. Do ELO Count as prog rock? I've some possibles there.

Some ELO songs were prog, especially early on. "10538 Overture" for example. When you get to the pure pop stuff like "Turn to Stone" and "Don't Bring Me Down", I wouldn't count those as prog.

Here's a Randy Newman song that should be sad enough:

If the ukulele could be used only to play happy music, I would have never bothered learning how to play it.

This is for part "b" of the season, prog rock, but I think it also works as a sad song, although it may not sound like it out of the context of the album. This is from one of my top 10 desert island albums, Misplaced Childhood by Marillion. My Marillion fanboydom is pretty much only for Fish-era Marillion.

I walked into Sundance Records in San Marcos (Texas) one day in 1985 and heard this song playing on their sound system. I puttered around in the store long enough to hear the whole album, then I bought it, went straight home and played it through about 3 more times. That was my first encounter with Marillion.

I overdubbed some piano and synth with the keyboard I bought for my kids to play with. I need to get one for myself. It's a little too big for my little computer corner here. I had to use the mic on my webcam to record it because my patch cord is too short and I would have had to rearrange everything to get it to reach. Mixing was done with Audacity. Pretty sweet little piece of software for something that's free.

Some ELO songs were prog, especially early on. "10538 Overture" for example. When you get to the pure pop stuff like "Turn to Stone" and "Don't Bring Me Down", I wouldn't count those as prog.

Just curious, do you consider Uriah Heep prog rock? I would because they were prone to have bombastic lyrics, "concept" albums and extended (some might say well nigh interminable) instrumental breaks, also they used plenty of synthesizers. Second, what about Kate Bush? My definition might be broader than most, but as far as my own mp3 collection goes, I've tagged all of hers as progressive rock.

Just curious, do you consider Uriah Heep prog rock? I would because they were prone to have bombastic lyrics, "concept" albums and extended (some might say well nigh interminable) instrumental breaks, also they used plenty of synthesizers. Second, what about Kate Bush? My definition might be broader than most, but as far as my own mp3 collection goes, I've tagged all of hers as progressive rock.

It's hard to say with a lot of these. I'll accept anything by Uriah Heep. I think most of Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" album would qualify as prog, and maybe a few other things, but personally I don't think of her music in general as prog.

Heck, I've recently seen some references to Fairport Convention as being a progressive rock band, which I don't understand at all. Wikipedia includes them on its list of prog rock bands, ProgArchives.com has reviews of their albums. And Tony Banks of Genesis referred to Fairport as one of the bands that he felt was exploring similar territory.

Here's my first. A sad song from Paul Simon off S & G's Sounds of Silence Album. It seems to be one of his less well known songs but it's one I've always liked as I'm a bit of a loner myself. That particular album has quite a few songs that would fit this theme. The title track itself is not exactly happy and then there's Somewhere They Can't Find Me, Richard Cory and I Am A Rock which definitely look on the dark side.

It was recorded this afternoon at a monthly open mic I go to in Loftus, a small former Iron Mining town down the coast from where I live. It's a friendly event as you may gather from the little bit of banter I left on.
I used my tenor Uke'Ellie played clean through a pre-amp into the house PA which worked pretty well I thought. The volume of the uke fluctuates a bit - the sound man was experimenting with the levels, I think but he got it settled eventually. Our sound man is pretty good.

"I am sick and I am dull and I am plain
How dearly I'd love to get carried away
Oh, but dreams have a knack of just not coming true
And time is against me now
Oh, who and what to blame? "

:bowdown:

I will have a couple quick entries for this season, but can't get too deep into depressing songs because of my mental condition. Sorry I won't be watching most of the videos this week. Have fun everyone!
i hope we can all make the most of the fab secondary theme, i don't really know alot of prog rock, but hawkwind count so i'm very excited about that! since i realised we can bring hawkwind, i am like, t rex WHO?! (well nearly!)

my main prob with prog on the uke is i'm no good at soloing, but you're fab, ohmless, maybe you could immerse yourself in prog and have a great time this week! i'm hoping to have an educational time of it with this week's prog rock theme. wiki says there are about half a million sub genres of prog. and jim is here to guide us. so :rock: yeah

Written by Garth Brooks, Ty England, and Charles E Stefl and was an unreleased gem on Garth's self titled debut album. Sorry I can't sing like Garth and I flubbed a couple tougher chords at the end. Such is life. It was the best take after playing for a couple hours and I had to call it quits because of a scratchy throat.

Regarding prog rock songs: If all else fails, remember that Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" is three chords.

Last edited:
Top Bottom