Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: effects processor vs individual stomp boxes

I believe that 99.9% of your audience will not know if you're using high quality analog stomps or some crappy Digitech multifx proc. In my old band, I used my Raven solid state amplifier(takes pedals brilliantly) and my trusty Digitech RP250. We did a lot of Audioslave, and as soon as I started using the whammy effect, everyone was wowed. It was incredibly easy to use, and I had other band's guitarists coming up to me asking me what my "rig" was because they were impressed with all the effects used.

In m opinion, with separate stomps.. you're paying hundreds, sometimes thousand more for something that perhaps only your ears will notice.

And in my case, with all the effects I used, I save at least $1,000 by going to multi-fx route.

The 99.9% is pretty much correct!
    For me though, it is how I perceive tones and how they react to my playing dymanics as well.

Good point, scooter. One thing about my RP-250 is when I'm playing softly, sometimes it doesn't pick up a note here and there. That's a huge downfall.

For me, the benefits still side with a multifx proc. Partially due to my laziness.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Many of my amps are 2 and 3 channel footswitchable types. I tend to use the onboard effects only, now. I've had multi-effects pedals and individual pedals. The only pedal I own now is a DOD FX55C Supra Distortion. I gave the rest away. There's lots of ways to get sounds out of guitars and amps, without effects. Ever hold a pick between your thumb and index finger so that when you pick a string, the skin of your thumb and index finger also strike the string? Try it and you'll get rich harmonics. Will I buy more effects inthe future? Probably! Ric

its a very personal thing but , if you want to get to know effects and how they can be applied to music , then a multi processor is the way to go.

having said that , if you are a gigging muso then you may need a small selection such as drive , chorus , delay and therefore would be likely to look for the best individual items in terms of quality .

someone who does home recording may have the problem of emulating guitar sounds from bygone days and may need to add effects such as an amplifier simulator which also usually have onboard effects aswell (although the control over the effects is limited)

then there are the die hards , who say that you should never need to use effects , if you spend your cash on a good guitar and amp rig .

ive tried them all and ive got to say that none of them are right or wrong , it just depends upon where your head is at !

if you are a beginner with effects then it may be best to start with a 2nd hand multi effects processor and see what you like and dislike about , the effects themselves ie : how much you use them , the quality etc .

thanks for all the replies guys. ive been doing a little bit of R&D myself and what ive found:

i own a danelectro chorus pedal, digitech RP150, and a dunlop crybaby wah currently. i play rhythm guitar in a jawaiian/reggae band.

dunop crybaby wah: overall it alone gives me the sound ive been looking for with its crisp high (toe forward) and unmistakeable wah effect. but it doesnt have a true bypass and i dont have a volume pedal or the time to be messing with tones during a gig. so i leave it on and on songs that i dont want too much tone i just have to back off of it a bit.

danelectro chorus pedal: alone, this thing is great. but i still have to find that sweet spot to give me the chorus effect im looking for in conjunction with my wah pedal.

digitech RP150 effect processor: this thing is great for testing out different effects (seems like it has ALL OF THEM) to see if it is something i want to add. i wouldnt mind using it alone, but there is no expression pedal. which is why i sprung for the crybaby. also, since the stomp buttons are sequential, instead of memorizing numbers for different sounds that i load, i have to set up sequences, which makes it annoying since i cant just pick and choose what effect to turn off/on at any moment.

there are some multi effects processors out that emulate a pedalboard with individual stomp boxes. but right now i just dont have the money to spring the $300. and i think it really has more effects than i need. but then again, i keep listening to songs and noticing the different effects thinking "i gotta get one of those".

i think what im going to do for now is run it as such:
    guitar/uke==> wah==> chorus==> RP150==> amp
    with the RP150 basically giving me that last line to set up intermittent effects like delay, flange, tremolo, and combinations of them, while the wah and chorus stay on continuous.

so does anyone see anything wrong with that setup that im overlooking?

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Use the amp's effects loop if it has one, Arvin. Plug the uke/guitar directly into the amps input. It eliminates some of the noise and impedence matching issues, along with less perpensity to clip the amps preamp. Ric

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    Use the amp's effects loop if it has one, Arvin. Plug the uke/guitar directly into the amps input. It eliminates some of the noise and impedence matching issues, along with less perpensity to clip the amps preamp. Ric
    effects loop? ok this is a new one. maybe something i overlooked. im totally guessing here, but does it look something like this?...

Code:

GUITAR
       |
       |
       V
    AMPLIFIER
    |       ^
    |       |
    V       |
    WAH     |
    |       ^
    |       |
    V       |
     EFFECTS

From my understanding, an effects processor is well-suited for the studio whereas a stomp box is well-suited for the stage.

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

Thread Information