Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure Blasphemy!Geared Tuners-Fluke & Flea-installed-photos & explanations

Thanks, Booli, this will save people a lot of time and (sadfaces) who want to upgrade their Fleas.

I had not yet given thought as to the rest, which are all just sitting in a cigar box, which is in a drawer. When I think about them I get angry, so I try not to. LOL.
    Checked out my collection of friction tuners, sort of a mirror image. Of the the ones I have the Schallers are the ones I had to replace with Grover 4Bs far as the Schallers had too much weight for a Bushman Jenny and couldn't figure out why a thumb wheel was needed.
    Anyway I've never liked ears on a ukulele, (with the exception of the Traholippee) so the 9NBs are an improvement on both the looks and playability on the Flea or Fluke.
    Esthetics wise my favorite is a well set wooden peg, keeping metal and plastic to a minimum. Being arthritis free helps in this evaluation. I do like the Pegheads and use them on my keeper Martins that are also the players. Luddite tendencies aside, modern geared tuners allow us to spend less time tunning and more time playing, which is always more fun.
    Last edited by spongeuke; 09-26-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spongeuke View Post
    Checked out my collection of friction tuners, sort of a mirror image.
    LOL. Seems like we have followed a similar path. Great Minds Think Alike?!

Of the the ones I have the Schallers are the ones I had to replace with Grover 4Bs far as the Schallers had too much weight for a Bushman Jenny and couldn't figure out why a thumb wheel was needed.
    Of the ones I tested I found the spring-loaded Schaller tuners to be the least fiddly of the friction tuners, but still too fiddly for me to enjoy using them.

Anyway I've never liked ears on a ukulele, (with the exception of the Traholippee) so the 9NBs are an improvement on both the looks and playability.
    I'm confused. The Grover 9NB tuners are geared tuners and as such have the 'ears', so I am lost as to if you like them or not. Please advise.

Luddite tendencies aside, modern geared tuners allow us to spend less time tunning and more time playing, which is always more fun.
    Very well said. Path of least resistance (for trouble-free tuning), even if it takes some effort to actually find said exact path.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Great thread with some excellent information!

While I have switched out the tuners on some of my guitars, so far I haven't felt the need with my Ukes. My tenor Koa Fluke came with Pegheds, as did my Firefly (both purchased used). They work very well with the Magic Fluke headstock design, and are great tuners to boot.

My concert Tie Dyed Flea was a custom order with rosewood fingerboard and corresponding real wood bridge, but I opted for the Lucy's rainbow friction tuners to keep with the colorful theme of the instrument. I don't have any issues with quality friction tuners, and I got used to the Lucy's tuners very quickly.

My 40's Martin style 1 soprano has the original off white friction tuners that also work quite well. As with the Flea's tuners, all they've ever need was the occasional tweak with a screwdriver to keep them doing their job well.

So... just for laughs, let's see if we can get Booli's juices jumping a bit.

Check these out! They practically beg to be installed on a Fluke style headstock.

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?page_id=2232

Scooter
    Martin Konter Uke Style 1K soprano
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Soprano Martin Backpacker Ukulele
    Soprano Uke Can Change The World Flea
    Soprano Firefly (wood fretboard)
    iUke Bound Natural Pineapple piccolo mini
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (wood fretboard)
    Concert Eddy Finn moon and Stars
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Koa Fluke (wood fretboard)
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany slothead

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

I'm confused. The Grover 9NB tuners are geared tuners and as such have the 'ears', so I am lost as to if you like them or not. Please advise.
    As installed the 9NBs stick out the back, no ears. when viewed face on.

As installed the 9NBs stick out the back, no ears. when viewed face on.
    Ahh. Ok.

You meant when installed on a Fluke or Flea, and not a traditional headstock, right?

Sorry if I'm a bit dense today.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    Great thread with some excellent information!...
    ...So... just for laughs, let's see if we can get Booli's juices jumping a bit.

Check these out! They practically beg to be installed on a Fluke style headstock.

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?page_id=2232
    Thanks for the kind words Scooter.

Ha Ha. Good one.

I looked at the Gotoh Stealth tuners for both uke and 'guitar' as the guitar model has a few different configurations, with different shaft and button-arm lengths, but they all blew the budget, and might as well have gone with the UPT-Ls or gone and had PegHeds installed by MFC - I'm also having deja-vu that you and I discussed this here on UU once before, no?

However, they sure look nice, like the Ferrari of tuners!

I wouldn't mind putting 4b's on my sopranino and even perhaps my main POS soprano pineapple player. I actually don't mind friction tuners.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

My opinion about making changes like this: Great idea. Why suffer? The only reason would be to prevent the loss of value in a collectible instrument. Flukes are very nice, but fortunately they don't fall into that category.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Very nice. I'm not in any position to do that for myself. Fortunately I can get along with peg head tuners ok although I vastly prefer the others. I rarely play my fluke to boot although it's a very nice sounding uke. I just like my others more.

Thread Information