Deals on Luna Uke's at Woot.com- Ends on October 3 at 12AM CT

Booli

Reaction score
I saw this on the ukulele section of reddit earlier today, source is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukulele/comments/3myus1/deals_on_luna_ukes_at_wootcom/

If you don't want to go to reddit (there is some discussion there about the deal and Luna ukes), the link to the deals are here:

http://www.woot.com/plus/luna-stringed-instruments?ref=cnt_wp_3

If you are not familiar, woot.com is a sort of deals and sell-out site, whereby they offer items that are typically a buyout from the manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler or from liquidation sales, and they have them for sale in limited quantity until they are all sold out once the timer for the item expires.

I've bought a handful of items from them over the past 5 yrs or so, and they are a legit site, with fast and inexpensive shipping. I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy repeat customer.

They've been getting more and more music and audio items over the past 2 yrs, so I'm not surprised they now have a few ukes for sale.

FYI: the sale Ends on October 3 at 12AM CT

Happy shopping!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! I've been lusting after a banjo uke since I had the opportunity to play one at the Alabama Uke Fest.

FWIW, that's actually $10 less than Musician's Friend has them on sale for right now.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been lusting after a banjo uke since I had the opportunity to play one at the Alabama Uke Fest.

FWIW, that's actually $10 less than Musician's Friend has them on sale for right now.

I hope you were able to order one. The banjo ukes sold out!

Whenever people say "I have a Luna, and I love it!", I wonder "what have you compared it to"?

There's a market for those who value the funky etched designs, but I've always thought they sound rather like rubber bands stretched across a shoebox.

Whenever people say "I have a Luna, and I love it!", I wonder "what have you compared it to"?

There's a market for those who value the funky etched designs, but I've always thought they sound rather like rubber bands stretched across a shoebox.

Different strokes for different folks.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here and stating the obvious...

Everything is relative and subjective when it comes to each persons preferences.

Maybe it's important to remember that not everyone can afford, never mind get hands-on with what other folks might call 'better' ukes, and as long as the instrument is playable, and keeps the music flowing, then what is the harm?

:shaka:

Last edited:
I quite like my solid spruce top concert. It was the ukulele I used when I learned to play. I still often use it when learning a new song.

There are features I really like such as nice tuners and the design of the neck. I would buy a solid top or all solid soprano if Luna offered one.

Maybe it's important to remember that not everyone can afford, never mind get hands-on with what other folks might call 'better' ukes, and as long as the instrument is playable, and keeps the music flowing, then what is the harm? :shaka:

I feel that, man. People are gonna love what they love, and feel especially sentimental about their first uke. That's the niche I feel like Luna is in - catching the eye of someone who's buying their first uke - and they're REALLY good at that. It's not snobbery, either - there are lots of entry-level instruments that have a more lively tone. I was tempted by them as well, until I had the chance to sit with one in a music store. I'd just recommend people really give them a listen compared with other ukes in the same price range instead of going "ooh, pretty!"

Whenever people say "I have a Luna, and I love it!"

It occurred to me later that a person on reddit had said that same thing. Which is actually kind of typical of lots of folks on the ukulele sub-reddit, i.e., either uninformed or not really selective at all, and therefore have no true point of reference for anything.

If you think that beginner questions are repeated here on UU frequently, I'd say that maybe we should be thankful, because on reddit it seems that nobody knows how to search or read the 'sticky links' in the sidebar over there (which show on EVERY page of that section of reddit in a column 1/3 the screen width), and every week, the same questions are repeated, over and over again. I try to remind myself that everyone had to start somewhere and likely they would not be asking online if someone they knew in person could guide them.

I feel that, man. People are gonna love what they love, and feel especially sentimental about their first uke. That's the niche I feel like Luna is in - catching the eye of someone who's buying their first uke - and they're REALLY good at that. It's not snobbery, either - there are lots of entry-level instruments that have a more lively tone. I was tempted by them as well, until I had the chance to sit with one in a music store. I'd just recommend people really give them a listen compared with other ukes in the same price range instead of going "ooh, pretty!"

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

For the most part, I tend to agree with the intent of what you are saying.

However, one thing that might also draw folks to Luna, is that the company is owned by a woman (Yvonne), whose mother was a professional bass player, and also has a hand in the design of all the instruments. To young girls (or young women) looking for a first uke, Yvonne she might be seen as a role model - i.e., a musician, a designer, and a successful business owner in a globally competitive market.

I have to give her lots of credit for creating and running her company. I want to see people like this succeed.

For better or worse, I never played a Luna myself, and shopping online seemed a bit iffy at the normal price points that their instruments are offered. Thus, maybe at a discount price, there is a better value proposition, and my reasons for sharing the woot.com sale here on UU after seeing it on reddit.

I try not to be lured by looks and more by sound and play/feel, but the one thing about the Luna instruments that always caught my eye was the headstock shape, which reminded me of my Les Paul guitars (long before the Epiphone Les Paul concert uke came out), but when you are actually playing an instrument, and maybe have your eyes closed, you cannot see diddly, so in the end looks matter little to me after all...

Any way, sorry for the soapbox, but there's my 2 cents :)

I probably should have mentioned that my Luna spruce top was perfectly set up by HMS.

I have no doubt that they could make that rubber band across a shoebox sound good, too.

I felt my Luna was the best $139 solid top concert value at the time, and still do, simply because the setup makes a difference. As a new buyer, I had no clue how to do that myself.

I probably should have mentioned that my Luna spruce top was perfectly set up by HMS.

I have no doubt that they could make that rubber band across a shoebox sound good, too.

I felt my Luna was the best $139 solid top concert value at the time, and still do, simply because the setup makes a difference. As a new buyer, I had no clue how to do that myself.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for sharing the experience of your Luna and how getting it from HMS with their setup made it better.

I've advised MANY folks to buy from a vendor that does a proper setup, but sadly too many folks are addicted to Amazon and do not heed my advice. I am very glad for you that your Luna is performing well.

Which model Luna do you have that has a solid top? At that price, I've only seen laminates from them.

:music:

It is the Luna Dragonfly. It was a special pricing package from HMS for several months last year. It is back to $169 now. Still comparable to other $169 solid tops IMO.

I agree about the setup being critical, especially in this price range. My Martin didn't need any set up, but I think that is a testimony to their quality control. It was also twice the price of the Luna.

Last edited:
Top Bottom