Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody recommend any good uke case?

Default Anybody recommend any good uke case?

Hi, I'm just curious. Do any of you recommend any good uke cases? I want to get a case with my uke when I get it. If you know of any that aren't really pricey, let me know. I want to get one that would protect it in case I drop it or it falls. Nickie recommends uke crazy. It's a hard case.

Just got one of these hard cases this week. It's a nice hard case for the money, very similar to the Uke Crazy case .

The Oahu hard case is better, but it is almost 2x the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AVSUU3M7YRX94
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I was going to recommend musicians gear but the one hodge posted above looks better and is cheaper.

I don't think you are going to find cheaper/better!
    Koaloha Tenor 2016
    Hoffman ML ebony/red spruce tenor
    Mya-Moe redwood/walnut tenor
    Stansell Myrtle and POC flamenco baritone
    Hoffmann A style cedar maple tenor

I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.
    ===================
    Sopranos: Kamaka Gold Label, Martin S1 (Mexico, currently in violin tuning for my wife), ??Regal?? no-name, Dixie Banjo-lele
    Concerts: Mele Mahogany, Kala Traveler, Kala KA-ACP-CTG (slot head, cedar top, acacia back/sides, low G), Gretsch G9112 Resonator (low G)
    Tenors: Kala KA-ASAC-SP-TGE-C-MM Marcy Marxer, RipTide Mahogany A/E
    Baritone: Silvertone
    U-Bass: Kala Hutch Hutchinson

Quote Originally Posted by pbagley View Post
    I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.
    That's fine. My friend Erion also recommends the gator case.

I guess if you're looking for a case that's not too pricey, the Uke you're going to put in it isn't too expensive either. To me that a good match. If I had a Uke that was >$800+ I'd be shopping for a better case. My favourite cases are my fibreglass Kamoa and one by the company who makes the Ameritage range, GWS (bloody heavy though).
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar
    Anuenue - Flame Maple Soprano
    Barron River 8 string Tenor - Black Limba and Lutz Spruce
    Beansprout Banjolele - Walnut and Pistachio

There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John
    Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.
    Good for you.

You may then decide you want a gig bag over a hard case, but with kids it may be better (safer) with a hard case. Gator cases are nice, but they are expensive. I think what Doc_J suggested is the best for the money and for what you are doing.

John

Chances are when you get your ukulele you can buy a case at the same time. Check with the uke dealer. I do recommend a hard case.

Thread Information