Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ukulele theory for noobs

lesson 4a:

start with a note that you want to figure out your key in. common ones are G, A, and C. so we will pick C for now since it is so easy. now start your note sequence, all 12 of them, starting with C and ending with another C (yes i know that makes 13, but bare with me here).

C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C

i left out the redundant flat note annotation to avoid confusion. so long as by now you understand in this case that the C# is also Db.

so lets start. i have another sequence that i want you to memorize now. it goes like this:
    tone, tone, half, tone, tone, tone, half
    or you can do it like this: T-T-H-T-T-T-H
    or you can use "whole" or "W" instead of tone or T. whatever is your preferrence.

ok lets put it to use. start at your root note... C. and go up a tone. you are now at D. again, go up a tone and you are at E. now go up a half tone and you are at F. now a tone... G. and another tone... A. and yet another tone... B. now half tone you are at C again. take a look:
    C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C
    now write them all out and you have a "scale" in the Key of C
    C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C
    this is also called one octave. the C on the right is one octave higher than the C on the left.

now try it for the key of G.

take your time...

you should have started with this:
    G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G
    and using the WWHWWWH or TTHTTTH formula, come up with this:
    G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G
    or: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G
    good. you have figured out a scale in the key of G

now lets make it a little harder and do it in the key of F.

take your time...

start with this:
    F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F
    then mark your notes:
    F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F
    see anything weird here? yep there are two A's in the scale. but remember, that an A# is also a Bb. so in this case, we must annotate it as a Bb when we write it out, even though its the same note:
    F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F

try this with other keys, and in the next part of this lesson... we apply it!
    Last edited by NukeDOC; 03-25-2009 at 11:58 AM.

lesson 4b:

now its time to go figure out where these notes fall on your ukulele. a good start would be the key of G, since all of the open strings' notes fall in the key of G and many songs are written in the key of G. and just concentrate on the notes that fall within the first four frets. we will call this "position I", with your index on 1st fret, middle on 2nd, ring on 3rd, and pinky on 4th.

start with the first string. open string is A. B is on the 2nd fret and C on the 3rd fret.
    now with the 2nd string. open string is E. F# is on the 2nd fret and G on the 3rd fret.
    now with the 3rd string. open string is C. D is on the 2nd fret. E is on the 4th fret.
    now with the 4th string. open string is G. A is on the 2nd fret. B is on the 4th fret.

now play them from the open C on the 3rd string all the way to the high C on the 1st string in order from lowest note to highest note. you just played a scale in the key of G on your ukulele. and now you understand why it is a scale in the key of G.

now find your favorite song in the key of G and play it. how do you know its in the key of G? you play the notes that you just figured out in position I. all of them. if they sound good with the song youre golden. if not, pick another song. when you find it.... JAM ALONG!!! hit any note you want to out of that scale. now try different things... like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc and see what sounds good to you. this is your time to express yourself musically! any music you make from here is yours and yours alone!

exciting isnt it?
    Last edited by NukeDOC; 04-01-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Thread Information