Season 190: The South's Gonna Do It - A Tribute to Southern Rock

Here is my first batch of comments. This is so much fun! If I accidentally overlook anyone's videos in the thread (or put them in the wrong song list), please let me know. It would be unintentional and I want to make sure that I see them all.

UkeCan1: Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - Wow, Wendy! What a wonderful way to start out the season. I must say, this immediately went full circle for me...and gave me goosebumps. You were the one that convinced me to start participating in SOTU, at the beginning of the year. And held my hand every bit of the way for a couple weeks! Now, you open the first season that I host! Whodathunkit? The goosebumps happened because all of you playing this song together just sounded marvelous and the switching of instruments and all that! Very nice! Thanks to you, Rich, Brian, Ron, Randy and Dave for such a great contribution to this season! Looking forward to whatever else you bring!

IamNoMan: Gimme Three Steps (Skynyrd) - Very cool how you put your spin on it! I agree with Berni, this sounds old timey,and it works really well with this song. Your vocals are strong, on this one, too! I love songs with plots!

pabrizzer: Jesus Just Left Chicago (ZZ Top) - This season just would not been right if you had not done some ZZ Top! I like your version better than theirs! I love your strum pattern and singing. This is a great song!

decaturcomp: Ramblin' Man (The Allman Brothers Band) - Excellent! Your uke pickin' is awesome, as well as your singing. This is such a good song, too.

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke: Gimme All Your Lovin' (ZZ Top) ) - This is very smooth BEV! I love how your version sounds soft and personal.

bonesoup: Keep on the Sunny Side (Charlie Daniels Band) - Great singing and picking out little melodies! Is that your child trying to hand you a toy? :) I love seeing folks play music in front of their children.

Jazzbanjorex: Cheap Sunglasses (ZZ Top) - Such a fun song! As always, your performances are top notch! Is it just me, or do cheap sunglasses make everything look like it's going downhill?

I'll be back later this afternoon, or this evening to listen to more!! This is so much fun!

I have to admit that I am intimidated by southern rock songs, and it is further compounded by my lousy solos. I will keep looking and hopefully will have an entry.

Please don't let solos keep you from doing a song that you like. I am not comfortable doing solos, and I always skip out on them. That is totally acceptable if someone chooses to opt out of a solo.

UkeCan1: Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - Wow, Wendy! What a wonderful way to start out the season. I must say, this immediately went full circle for me...and gave me goosebumps. You were the one that convinced me to start participating in SOTU, at the beginning of the year. And held my hand every bit of the way for a couple weeks! Now, you open the first season that I host! Whodathunkit? The goosebumps happened because all of you playing this song together just sounded marvelous and the switching of instruments and all that! Very nice! Thanks to you, Rich, Brian, Ron, Randy and Dave for such a great contribution to this season! Looking forward to whatever else you bring!

Aw, Debby - I had completely forgotten most of that! How wonderful to bring you goosebumps in this way. You are giving me shivers of inspiration, joy, and wonder in return! I could not be more pleased with this amazing gift we get to share. And to get to share it with my local friends by creating this magic together inspired by you and your fun theme ... wow, what could be better?!

(I do have one more in store for you this week, with my new band! We were already planning it ... and it should work well at our upcoming "pumpkin train" gig in two weeks. So we hope to get that done for you at our rehearsal Thursday.)

This song was done by Dickey Betts on the album, "The Songs Of Jimmie Rodgers - A Tribute."

Originally by JJ Cale. Covered by "Lynard Skynard" and many others. This is more of an Eric Clapton take on the song.

Please don't let solos keep you from doing a song that you like. I am not comfortable doing solos, and I always skip out on them. That is totally acceptable if someone chooses to opt out of a solo.

Alternative approach that has worked quite well for me ... find people who can do that kind of stuff and invite them to play with you. :)

(And then sooner or later, they'll teach you how ... that has been happening too.)

UkeFoote: Fire on the Mountain (The Marshall Tucker Band) - I love your version of this. I sang right along! I love the effort that you put into your videos. They really showcase your talent. :)

Harry122: Waiting for a Train (Dickey Betts) - I didn't know you could yodel and play piano! This is very cool!

lelouden: Call Me the Breeze (Cale/Skynyrd) - Whoa! Everyone look out! Mrs. Breeze is in da house, with her fabulous version of this Cale classic! I like Skynyrd's version, too! You did fantastic with this!

Alternative approach that has worked quite well for me ... find people who can do that kind of stuff and invite them to play with you. :)

(And then sooner or later, they'll teach you how ... that has been happening too.)

That's an excellent approach!

I can't solo, either. And I really appreciate how difficult a simple-sounding blues like "Stormy Monday" is to play. Just try transposing some of these chords! Aw, heck with it. I'll just do it in G and sing it outside my range. Thanks to the Allmans for introducing us to T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, et al.

Pabrizzer: God & Guns (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - I had to give this one a second listen, as I have not heard it before. It's an interesting contrast to their song, Saturday Night Special. Excellent playing and singing. :)

Jazzbanjorex: Just Got Paid (ZZ Top) - That Mainland was made to play some ZZ Top! This sounds great!

hendulele: Stormy Monday (T Bone Walker/Allman Brothers) - I think you handled the challenge well! It's hard doing a song that is out of range, but you stuck with it and it was worth it!

Jazzbanjorex: Blue Jean Blues (ZZ Top) - Wow! You are really bringing awesome stuff this week. This is one of my faves that you have done. As much as you look like you feel good and are enjoying this, I certainly hope you aren't overdoing it.

ukulele extra cheese: Blue Ridge Mountain Sky (The Marshall Tucker Band) - Sweet! You sing really well and your uke sounds great! This song is magical. The Blue Ridge Mountains are my happy place. My in laws live in NC, and I love it when we go to the mountains. I'd love to live there.

Last edited:
Great theme! I knew as soon as I saw it what song I would do.

Here is my favorite ZZ Top song of all-time. Bummer that they didn't play it when I saw them live a few years back. Also, this week is the start of hockey season. From the video guess what team I like best and the two teams I hate the most.

Here's 'Rough Boy' by ZZ Top.

Ist one up then ....T For Texas T For Tennessee , Lynrd Skynrd did this on One More From The Road.....

I haven't watched all the videos yet, so someone may have done this one already. If so, it's probably better than this one. Featuring my overdubbed poor attempt to play the little melody line between stanzas.

Top Bottom