Warm or Bright Strings for playing Bach/Baroque

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate it if those that play Baroque music on a soprano Uke, would tell me what strings they prefer, warm or bright. Is there a brand that you think particularly suits this type of music?

Aquila Reds, Martin M600, and Worth Browns work for me for that genre.
These are all strung on ukuleles with a more traditional hourglass build. Perhaps that may be as important as the string choice. The KoAloha with a musubi sound hole and KoAloha fluoros is nice, but not quite the sound I want.
My preferred soprano Baroque players: Reds on a Silvertone, M600s on a Martin and Browns on a Brueko

Last edited:
The KoAloah factory strings are Worth Clears CT (I love those on my LN pineapple soprano, but I haven't tried anything else on it, so I can't compare, and it's my only koa ukulele).

I'd say a fair amount of what I play falls under that classification - my strings of choice on both my soprano and concert koa ukes are Martin M600s. They probably would fall in the "bright" end of the spectrum.

I play a lot of Bach and I am very happy with Worth CM strings. I suppose they're on the bright side of the spectrum. I stopped experimenting a few years ago. (I found I like the warmth of Savarez strings a bit more but was very disappointed in the sustain.)

I'm just beginning to play baroque, and the Aquila Lava strings work just fine for me.

My main Kamaka soprano is exceeding dark to begin with so regular Nylaguts add a good touch of clarity to it. I think it is dependent upon the instrument...my second Kamaka is ear piercing with with same strings.

There is an amazing variation out there. Currently I have Martin M600's on the DaSilva but have just ordered an Oasis set to give the a try. I think this is going to be an interesting exercise.

Top Bottom