Bari action height question

uke5417

Reaction score
Just lucked into a '60s Favilla B-2 baritone ($35!!!) that I glued back together, and I was wondering about the action height. Right now the 1 (E) string clears the 14th fret by 3/16 inch (or three stacked pennies, a rather unscientific but easy-to-make measurement.) I've got a feeling I could bring it down by a half cent and be safe. Two or three pennies for your thoughts...
Thanks

There is perhaps a half penny's (1/32") bow in our favor (downward) between the first and the 18th frets, and the strings clear the first fret by a likewise amount (1/32"). The saddle is clear of the bridge for 3/32", and the bridge drops away immediately (no flat shelf to cause a buzz). Given that additional info, would shaving 2/32 off the saddle seem reasonable?
Thank you muchly

depending on how much meat of the bridge there is in front of the saddle, for the most part it should be fine to take away 1/16" from the saddle without causing buzz.

try taking away 1/32 at a time and trying it out for a day to see if the action is low enough. if you are still not satisfied, take another 1/32.

it seems like the saddle is already pretty low on the bridge though. i dont know how far you wanna take it, but ive actually shaved down the bridge right in front of the saddle before to allow for more to be taken off of the saddle. not suggesting you do that though. i did it on a tourist trap ukulele, but it actually plays nicely now!

without actually seeing the ukulele up front, its hard to say how much of anything. all i can really say is work slow and do a little at a time. you'll kinda feel when youre getting close to the point of no return. when youre there, just enjoy the uke you got at a killer price.

obtw. you mind me asking what the 5417 means in your screen name?

reason im asking is because in the old "pager code" that means something. but i was curious about yours before i unwillingly offend you by telling you what that means.

not to jack the thread or anything, but I tried to google this pager code, and couldnt find anything, and Im curious.

Oh, great. 5417 is the end of my biz phone number. I used it when I first started up on YouTube, just as a way to remember it, never thinking I'd do any more than nose around a bit. By the time I thought about creating a better name, I had a bunch of subscribers, so I left it. Then when I came here, I figured I might as well go with it.

And now I, too, want to know. Let's hear the bad news. I can take it. I'm having a pretty good day, thanks in part to the advice I'm getting here. Or if it's really horrible and little-known, pm me and I'll buy your silence with a beer sometime. ha
(thanks again)

pager code is a "language" used by people back before cell phones became the norm. kids all had pagers for some reason. well it got to the point that they were able to use the numbers in certain ways to spell out short messages. so you have to kinda image what letter the number represents, being that it is of the digital variety.

ex:

a 9 would be seen as a g

a 4 would be seen as an upside down h

177 is seen as an m

17 is seen as an n

0 of course is o

7 alone, depending on what it is coupled with would be either a T or an upside down L

5 is S

15 would be K

8 is B

12 is R

and so on. sorry for all the examples.

so back to the numbers in your screen name...

5=S
4=h
1=I
7=T

hahaha. please dont change it!!!

I love it!
My UT header used to read, "Bad music, great fun." (My music's still bad; I just changed the header when I started featuring others' covers of my songs.)
And no way will I consider changing my name now.
Thanks for sharing that.
And, again, thanks for the help.

Uke5417, and proud of it

In the way-back days I had the phone number 709-4739. Had it for a few years before some guy called and said "Hey, you know your phone number is 709 4SEX?"

I'd never even thought of it. Take a look at a newspaper sports section some time. There are a lot of ads with the 4739 number. Hmmm

My new number doesn't spell out anything.

Top Bottom