Scale Length

i don't see the problem with varied scale lengths as long as the frets are cut according to the calculator. there surely must be flexibility in each string set to use on a slightly longer or shorter scale.
in my case it's a home build with hand cut fret grooves so the time to lay out and cut is the same regardless.

This may be better directed to luthiers.

I'm not talking about the standard ukulele scales of 13-1/2" soprano, 15" concert, and 17" tenor.

But I've wondered if the perfect ukulele design would lead to tweaks of the scales based on different woods and designs/bracing. For instance, instead of a 17" tenor, would 17-1/2" tenor allow design changes for a slightly larger soundboard and possibly improve the sound even more?

The bigger the body's lower bout, the more potential for better tone/volume/sound etc.
A scale length is restricted to where the bridge falls on the lower bout (said again, the lower bout is restricted to where the scale length falls).

So yes,
1- a longer scale be appropriate for a larger top (bigger lower bout).
2- A longer scale has more tension to drive a bigger top,
3- bigger top has potential for more tone/volume

However,

4- you would need a bigger custom case due to the new body design.
5- why not just buy a baritone and capo at the 1st, 2nd or 3rd fret which would (then) have a similar fret distance as a normal 17" tenor.
6- or a parlour guitar

There are some traditionals i don't fight against, scale length (ie tenor is 17") is one of them

Top Bottom