Small Guitar Question

Purdy Bear

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a guitar (6 string) that is roughly the size of a Soprano/Concert Ukulele?

I've tried to play a normal sized guitar and it was way too big for me. I was wondering if there was a smaller sized one that I might consider trying out this time next year. I'm a 5ft 3 female, so no great arm length.

As you know I'm already learning the Uke Soprano, and the Mandolin so I'd like to get them under my belt before getting any more, plus my bank balance needs a bit of rest first. :D

Also what would be a good make to look out for a beginner?

Thanks
Purdy

Yes, there are soprano scale guitarleles/guitaleles/guileles...but they are rare. I used to have one:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...lele/page2&highlight=ohana+soprano+guitarlele

Most guitarleles are tenor scale (like that Yamaha GL1; Cordoba also makes a popular one), a few baritone.

There are also 3/4 size and 1/2 size guitars, typically aimed at kids, but good for smaller adults...as well as various small-bodied travel guitars of various scale lengths.

I have a Yamaha APXT2 (acoustic/electric), which has a small, shallow body and a 22.8 inch scale. I like it very much - sounds nice and is comfortable to play. (I'm 6'1" but have back and shoulder problems that make it hard for me to play a full size acoustic.)

I have a CORDOBA MINI guitar that has the scale of a baritone uke. It is very convenient to me and the sound is very good.

The Cordoba Mini is a great little nylon string guitar. Baritone uke size. It comes with A tuning strings, but you can get standard guitar tuning strings (E) from Cordoba. They are rated really well and come in three different wood options.....sitka/mahogany, sitka/rosewood, and all ovangkol. HMS carries them, as well as Elderly Instruments. A great value given the price IMHO. Nice sound, sustain, intonation.

I have the Yamaha guitalele. It works, is about all I can say about it. It sounds quite terrible to me: no life, dull, low volume, etc. Now, I believe that the tone of an instrument doesn't matter if one doesn't know how to play in the first place. And if one knows how to play, then their music will outshine the dullness of an instrument. Having said that, I make-do.

there are some tiny Mexican
guitars, don't remember what they are called, that are that small.

The closest I have come to awesomeness in a small guitar is the Tacoma Papoose. However it does have steel strings, though you can string it extremely light. It also should be tuned A to A instead of E to E, but that puts it in standard uke tuning on the top 4 strings. It really sounds like a guitar, though of course the tuning is higher. It also has a 19 inch scale.

I would go with one of the nylon string guitaleles to start. I had the Yamaha, it was fine for what it was and is budget friendly. Strings have a lot to do with how it sounds. It gets you a guitar for really reasonable. You can also find either of them used if you haunt Craigslist.

Also you will likely need to have it set up wherever you get it, though if you go to Frets.com and follow the setup guides you could probably do it yourself. You file or sand the bottom of the saddle down to lower the action if it comes with a tall saddle, then set the string height at the nut. Same with ukes really, many come with a very high action.

The Cordoba Mini is a great little nylon string guitar. Baritone uke size. It comes with A tuning strings, but you can get standard guitar tuning strings (E) from Cordoba. They are rated really well and come in three different wood options.....sitka/mahogany, sitka/rosewood, and all ovangkol. HMS carries them, as well as Elderly Instruments. A great value given the price IMHO. Nice sound, sustain, intonation.

Yes, the Mini is a small guitar that sounds great. I have the Mini R with a Fishman pickup installed.

It is for sale. Touch base with me if you are interested.

vicschmeltz@gmail.com

I would also highly recomend the Tacoma Papoose if you can find a good one. With a 19" scale and wonderful tone they are a great instrument.

I don't think your size is a major limitation to playing guitar. Just don't get a Dreadnought. There are smaller guitars. You don't need to go all the way to a ukulele size just be cause you are smaller.

Is there such a thing as a guitar (6 string) that is roughly the size of a Soprano/Concert Ukulele?

I've tried to play a normal sized guitar and it was way too big for me. I was wondering if there was a smaller sized one that I might consider trying out this time next year. I'm a 5ft 3 female, so no great arm length.

As you know I'm already learning the Uke Soprano, and the Mandolin so I'd like to get them under my belt before getting any more, plus my bank balance needs a bit of rest first. :D

Also what would be a good make to look out for a beginner?

Thanks
Purdy
you looking for nylon or steel stringed?

I've had both a Tacoma Papoose and a Baby Taylor. Both have a short scale and steel strings. I prefer the steel string sound in an acoustic guitar.
I sold the Papoose because the one I had did not sound as good as the Baby Taylor. A few years later my son moved out and took his baby Taylor with him.
Moral of the story is : Never sell a guitar. Or a ukulele for that matter.
Good luck in your search.

You should look at the 1/2 size guitars this site: http://www.smallguitars.com. I bought a 1/2 size really small bass guitar and it's really good.

I spotted a small body Martin on American Idol on Wednesday night (2/10). Mahogany, slot head, and had an endpin jack. Does anyone know what that was?

The slot head makes that harder. I would guess a 0-16NY but that's a standard scale. Or a 0-12F. The terz guitars are smaller than the 0 size and insanely expensive, but a custom could have a slot head.

The small Martin played by MacKenzie Bourg on American Idol was probably a size 5 Terz Guitar, meant to be tuned up three steps to G-G. The aforementioned Pono Uku Li'i or UL is picking up this very concept, but at a more affordable price. Those Terz Guitars are still bigger than a Baritone, though.

As for steel strings, Ibanez has just started making a Piccolo Guitar (EWP14), i.e. a steel string Guitar in the size of a Tenor Ukulele.

For most Uke players, I would assume it safer to go with a nylon stringed Guilele/Guitalele/Kiku. The Corodoba Mini, the Kanile'a or the Islander GL6 are close to a Baritone in size; there's also something like that made by Romero Creations. Options in the Tenor size are made by Yamaha, Gretsch, Kala, KoAloha etc. Ohana has made a Concert and even a Soprano version, but you don't often see them around for sale. There are also a few custom makers, like Pepe Romero, John Kinnard and Jay Lichty.

Top Bottom