Pono saved from the scrap heap.

I love the idea that strings can make a huge difference, even though I'm not a big string changer or string experimenter at all.

I love the idea that strings can make a huge difference, even though I'm not a big string changer or string experimenter at all.

I have been guilty of this to some extent. I'd like to try Southcoast strings but already have strings to last for a year or three: Aquila, Fremont,Worth, and Savarez. Rather than build some sort of filing cabinet as some here have done I might suggest to the guy that runs the local ukulele group that we have a night where people can bring surplus stuff to sell. Probably though I'm the only one with an accumulation of surplus items. In my favour perhaps is that very few of these strings are available locally.

Awhile back my friend bought a used Pono.
. Spruce/wi awa heartwood. So it had a the spruce and a beautiful orange/red back and sides. (cuttaway). The bad part was it sounded like crap. We did four sting changes and it sounded like crap each time. We contacted Andrew and he said there was a limited production of some of those that did not sound good and so was discoed. Maybe it was one of those but now I think not. And I may not be accurately remembering what Andrew said. So it just hung in a glass case looking pretty but never getting played and her being wealthy was not interested in trying to sell it off at any price.

OK here's the punchline. We bought some South Coast strings and when they arrived we had a lot of them so I suggested we try a set on that puppy. OMG! This went from the worst Pono I've ever heard to one that rivals in sound and sustain our favorite Pono's and my Opio. I never ever in a million years could have believed such a thing was possible. I was hoping for some tiny improvement. IMO most Pono's love South Coast strings. That is all. :)

What specific set of strings did you end up purchasing?

I won't speak for Andrew on what is on this Uke. ButI know he is a big fan of the HML RW South Coast strings, as am I and DownUp Dave.

The HML RW set has a wound 3rd and 4th.

Top Bottom