Cedar Tops & Durability - Issue or Not?

I would get the ukulele you desire, play the heck out of it, and consider any dings that happen to be blessing!

Yep, this.

FWIW, I have three cedar-topped ukes and I can't say I've seen significantly more wear to them than others. My Kala cedar-topped is most frequently played, too-- it goes to jams, parties, etc,. Yes, cedar is softer than many other topwoods, and my show wear more easily, but I think it's overstated. Ultimately, it's about the tone, and I think cedar can impart a lovely tone to an otherwise well-built ukulele.

For a reasonably priced cedar-topped uke, consider the Mainland Red Cedar. I think they have one of the best price/performance ratios in the industry.

david
things are tough all over. you must have died with joy to get that instrument.

I got it before the prices went up a bit. It was a stretch for me financially but they are worth much more than the cost. Seriously world class instrument. It is a flawless uke that I play daily. I hope to get a soprano one day.

I have a Mainland red cedar tenor which gets used for street busking and uke club meets in pubs at least several times a week and after a year it shows very few dings - and those that are there are on the purfling. It travels in a hard case and the same when not being used at home. And by the way, with fluorocarbon strings and an MSI pickup, this is a great sounding uke at a great price.

I have the concert and like fluorocarbons too. I waited a long time to get this uke and it was worth it - it's all I expected and more! :)

I played a Pono cedar/rosewood tenor as well as the Mainland tenor. I liked both, found the tenors had a deeper resonance especially the Pono. More classical to me than traditional uke sound. I chose the concert because I prefer that size. Still, no particular wear issues here.

...consider any dings that happen to be blessing!

For all the people that worry about scratches in the precious softwood tops (like me just two weeks ago) toddlers are the answer. My 9 month old loves to climb on the instruments as I'm struggling to play to try to make that magic sound himself. Last time he forgot to drop the beech building block first. I don't worry about getting dings anymore.

For all the people that worry about scratches in the precious softwood tops (like me just two weeks ago) toddlers are the answer. My 9 month old loves to climb on the instruments as I'm struggling to play to try to make that magic sound himself. Last time he forgot to drop the beech building block first. I don't worry about getting dings anymore.

Right! After that first ding, it's no longer a worry!

It's a very difficult decision if you live in a city that has limited choices.
You can only relay on the experts and members in the forum to share their experience.
It's all depend on how she plays. Does she do more fingerpicking or more strumming ? What kind of music she plays also affect the type of wood she likes. I think some of us are still learning that's why we keep buying .
No one is contented with one multi purpose uke. Am I right?

A cedar topped Bari is my daily player. It has a very, very light finish and it does show wear but then I'm primarily a strummer and this uke gets played aLOT. It shows strum marks and does ding and scratch more than any of my other ukes or guitars, which are spruce, mahoghany and a walnut. The spruce and hogs do have a thicker finish, the walnut is satin. I think the wear difference would be significant greater on the cedar than any of the others, even if I played it less. The others still get played a lot and show very little wear comparatively. I like the tone of the cedar and I personally am not concerned with wear. I will not be selling my cedar.

Out of my ukes, the two that are prone to dings are the Cedar top of my Pono and the back on my glossy Koa Kanilea. No dings on my other ukes, including another Cedar top as well as more from Pono and Kanilea. So I guess that the dings have a lot to do with the individual piece of wood, not just with a specific maker or type of wood.

Finish might add some protection, but with the two ukes mentioned, I think the dings are actually imprinted into the finish. Nevertheless, that wouldn't stop me from buying those same instruments again. And after the first couple of marks, I found myself handling those instruments more comfortably.

Like others said, you shouldn't be worried too much about the possibility of dings, but rather focus on what you and your wife like. Are you looking for a traditional sound and look, or something a little more Guitar-like? What playing styles will be applied? To me, the Kanilea is best for strumming, while the Cedar top Pono is more apt for fingerpicking, and the Pono AT makes for a great allrounder.

Speaking of a great allrounder, I'd recommend considering the KoAloha Opio line as well. Arguably the best sounding production Uke, in my opinion.

Which brings me back to the original topic of durability: Contrary to what seems to be a widely held opinion, I found that my satin finished ukes are less prone to scratches (but might stain easier from sweaty hands etc.).

Anyway, good luck with your search, and keep us posted on what you'll end up with...

Cedar in my experience helps produce among the most satisfying tones from a stringed instrument played. The gloss finish on my Kala probably reduces scratches making it down into the wood, but I play them far more for their sound than worrying about the appearance not be as prettied up over time. As others have said, play wear adds character and sort of a physical appearance of how it's been enjoyed... Get what sounds the best!

Last edited:
Any uke top can be dented, dinged, or scratched. But it doesn't take much to keep them looking great.
Here's a 2-year old, much played, cedar top looking flawless. Cedar gives nice warmth to this Ko'olau.
P1070492_zpshalhyv4h.jpg

image.jpg

This is an older photo, but after 3 years and being the major player of a group of my tenors, it still looks the same today.

Dings and scratches come about as a result of harder things hitting the top with enough force to tear the wood fibers of the top. A gloss finish will help impede that force, but whether or not a ding/scratch occurs is much better controlled by protecting the top from impacts than by hoping for an incremental increase in impact resistence from a harder wood. Some impacts will tear wood fibers of any tone wood.

Spruce is widely used on uke tops and it's a soft wood. I don't get why people think that there is an significant difference in durability between Spruce, Redwood and Cedar. Hit it hard enough and any top will suffer

Hard woods might offer some greater degree of protection than softer tops given the same impact from the same object, but at a cost in the warmer tone quality that many seek. I own several guitars, mandolins and ukes. Only one has a ding. Better to handle the instrument with care. If I can do it, anyone can.

Top Bottom